• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Once Again the NHL’s Most Valuable Franchise

paddynyc

https://nypost.com/2018/12/06/rangers-once-again-the-nhls-most-valuable-franchise/

For the fourth straight year, the New York Rangers are the NHL?s most valuable franchise, according to Forbes.

James Dolan?s hockey team is valued at $1.55 billion, up 3 percent from 2017.

The Rangers are followed by the Toronto Maple Leafs ($1.35B), the Montreal Canadiens ($1.3B), the Chicago Blackhawks ($1.05B) and the Boston Bruins ($925M) on the 31-team list.

Other area teams fall at Nos. 19 (New Jersey Devils, $455M) and 22 (New York Islanders, $440M).

Has nothing to do with the players on the team.

What I mean is that Tavares to the Isles probably dramatically boosted sales of jerseys, t-shirts, etc. alone, not to mention ticket sales and sponsorships. But I guess not knowing how this fiscal year was calculated, maybe that's not factoring in?

What I mean is that Tavares to the Isles probably dramatically boosted sales of jerseys, t-shirts, etc. alone, not to mention ticket sales and sponsorships. But I guess not knowing how this fiscal year was calculated, maybe that's not factoring in?
It's the cable TV revenue gap that has closed. Toronto 10-15 years ago was getting double the NYR annually. Now, it's very close ($40 MM vs. $35 MM as I recall).

NYC has a much larger population, more diverse economy, better able to keep jacking up luxury box costs. And I'm not sure that MSG has maximized cable revenue; the relationship between the NYR, MSG Network, and Dolan's other interests allows for lots of intra-company accounting rigamarole.

Archived