• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#19) Rangers vs. New York Islanders // Stop #Quinning

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing him live I still don?t get the Brady Skjei hype. Bad contract. Third pair defenseman. If we can trade him do it ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I?m not seeing it this year either. It?s like he lost his way! Skating is not the standout feature anymore and his overall effectiveness has declined. WTF!

Seeing him live I still don’t get the Brady Skjei hype. Bad contract. Third pair defenseman. If we can trade him do it ASAP

People believe there is potential because he’s big and can skate.

But he can’t use his size. And his skating hasn’t been impressive since we knew how to say his name. Plus, he needs to be a shut down dman, not an offensive guy. But, either he or the rangers are thinking otherwise, and it’s been a disaster for over a year

Pionk got pushed around a little, ADA got out muscled on one goal. Staal was very slow and Shatty wasn't great on D, though not bad. Bad D tonight, but I expected to see this more often then we have.

Bad defensive group (borne out in analytics) performs poorly. Make some noise if this surprises you.

:crickets:

People believe there is potential because he’s big and can skate.

But he can’t use his size. And his skating hasn’t been impressive since we knew how to say his name. Plus, he needs to be a shut down dman, not an offensive guy. But, either he or the rangers are thinking otherwise, and it’s been a disaster for over a year

I dunno, we beat up our own guys quite a bit. His skating is fine, though I wish he'd be more assertive on the attack. He's grappling with when to take it deep and not get caught, like early in the year. He's been beat in the D zone on dangles and positioning by good players. Lately he's been dependable. Yet, he gets himself in off balance positions defending and needs to button that up. A shot of confidence and more coaching might help.

Bad defensive group (borne out in analytics) performs poorly. Make some noise if this surprises you.

:crickets:

The system wasn’t these tonight. Only hope is playing strictly by the system, have Staal and Smith play above expectations (entire season). Can’t rely on any of the RD for defensive play. It’s certaibly tough.

The system wasn’t these tonight. Only hope is playing strictly by the system, have Staal and Smith play above expectations (entire season). Can’t rely on any of the RD for defensive play. It’s certaibly tough.

That's a whole lotta hope you're selling.

Occam's razor this bitch. Smith, Staal, DeAngelo, Shattenkirk, Pionk. None of these guys are "responsible" in their own end. Not with positive results. This season, neither is Skjei.

When Fredrik Claesson is your best hope on defense, you're a lottery squad.

Quinn on net front/deflections

“We haven’t been burnt by it but it’s been an issue. We’ve talked about, I know we will practice it tomorrow. You gotta have a little snarl around the net. That doesn’t mean kill people but deny them the net, have a little grit, put sticks on them, that is all there is to it. We didn’t do a lot of it tonight. It was a pretty safe place to be.”

The story of the game was our lack of play around the net, we just didn’t play hard enough and pick sticks up around the net. It wasn’t the refs or anything like that, it was the fact that we didn’t pick sticks up at the net.”

Yeah, overall defense was not great, but Hank wasn't good either. 5 goals on 17 shots, deflected or not (those aren't impossible to save BTW), isn't good.

I think we saw tonight what is definitively the case for this season: if Hank isn't at the very top of his game, they lose. Simple as that.

Seeing him live I still don’t get the Brady Skjei hype. Bad contract. Third pair defenseman. If we can trade him do it ASAP

I was calling for a bridge deal from day one. He, like everyone else, is young and deserves some slack but he hasn't earned the contract he was given. He just hasn't been that good since his rookie season.

I would certainly include him as part of any deal for Nylander if the option was ever on the table.

Looking at this team on paper, the forwards seem decent to me but the blue line is very shaky. Tonight was a preview of what we can expect pretty frequently the rest of the way: a good performance by the forwards but the defense failing to control guys in front and giving the puck away too often. It wasn't just Skjei. It was every one of them. I'm sure Smith will be back in the lineup after this, and I'll be curious to see if he responds and, if he does, if it lasts more than a week. We desperately need what he's supposed to be right now (and probably won't be, at least for a long stretch of time).

Archived