• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Are They 5-7-1 or 1-8-4?

Sod16

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I want them to make the playoffs. 100%.

Why? What value is there in watching the team get swept in the opening round only to suffer a consolation middle round first pick?

This pain is temporary. Embrace it. Own it. Get the highest pick you're bound to by not putting Band-Aids on bullet wounds and be an actually good team in the next 2-3 years.

I'm so fucking done with patching tires to say "at least they made the playoffs." The goal is to win a Cup; not serve as a door mat opening matchup to the top seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why? What value is there in watching the team get swept in the opening round only to suffer a consolation middle round first pick?

This pain is temporary. Embrace it. Own it. Get the highest pick you're bound to by not putting Band-Aids on bullet wounds and be an actually good team in the next 2-3 years.

I'm so fucking done with patching tires to say "at least they made the playoffs." The goal is to win a Cup; not serve as a door mat opening matchup to the top seed.

A thousand times this.

Making the playoffs would be a monumental waste of everyone’s time and totally counterproductive to what we’re trying do do going forward.

Don't be tangibly competitive now, so we can be theoretically competitive later.

Nah, I could be dead tomorrow.

I don't see how one more draft makes us heads and tails better than we are now. Perhaps, if we could guarantee a top 2 pick this year, I'd feel differently, but we can't.

It's not as if our cupboard is bare and we already have three more picks in top 60 this year.

So, nah. I want some W's.

You don't need a guarantee. You just need increased odds, which comes with poorer standings position. The likelihood of them getting a game breaker with a top-five pick versus finding someone to put them over the top with the 18th pick is borne out by historical drafting trends that strongly suggests the higher the pick, the better the player (on average).

Don't be tangibly competitive now, so we can be theoretically competitive later.

Nah, I could be dead tomorrow.

I don't see how one more draft makes us heads and tails better than we are now. Perhaps, if we could guarantee a top 2 pick this year, I'd feel differently, but we can't.

It's not as if our cupboard is bare and we already have three more picks in top 60 this year.

So, nah. I want some W's.

But they're not tangibly competitive.

But they're not tangibly competitive.

No, not really, but they're also not clearly fucking terrible either. There's lots of hockey left, who knows what's going to happen.

To me, there's an immense entertainment value in making noise as an underdog, an afterthought even in this case. It'd be a blast if the defy expectations.

No, not really, but they're also not clearly fucking terrible either. There's lots of hockey left, who knows what's going to happen.

To me, there's an immense entertainment value in making noise as an underdog, an afterthought even in this case. It'd be a blast if the defy expectations.

but you get the same satisfaction from watching them play hard, be competitive, make life difficult for the other team, and still lose. How many goals wind up in our Net versus their net is pretty irrelevant to the rest of the story.

Why is your barometer only measuring "playoffs" or "terrible"? There's a world of gray in between.

I’m too competitive to settle, or even hope to be bad.

That’s all it is. Being bad.

Higher draft pick doesn’t guarantee anything. Nothing.

Hell, the players that take the most shit are Andersson and Kravtsov. Our top 10 picks.

I?m too competitive to settle, or even hope to be bad.

That?s all it is. Being bad.

Higher draft pick doesn?t guarantee anything. Nothing.

Hell, the players that take the most shit are Andersson and Kravtsov. Our top 10 picks.

Again, It's not about guarantees. None exist in sports, period. It's a strawman.

What do exist are odds, and I like playing the high ones regarding landing a game changer. If that requires short-term pain for long-term gain, so be it. Bring in R Kelly and tell him to stay away from my eyes.

Wait. We haven't even finished the tear-down, right? We haven't seen the bottom yet, much less a shot at a playoff spot. In theory, tanking doesn't require trying to lose individual games. You can just sell off most of the rest of your veteran talent base as it appears Gorton is going to do.

So play hard, win some games now. Build value. Sell high and early if you can. Then February and March will have plenty of losses to secure a high pick slot.

Or is the argument that we should hold onto Hayes, Zuc, McQuaid, Vlad, et al?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I?m too competitive to settle, or even hope to be bad.

That?s all it is. Being bad.

Higher draft pick doesn?t guarantee anything. Nothing.

What does eeking into the playoffs guarantee?

Wait. We haven't even finished the tear-down, right? We haven't seen the bottom yet, much less a shot at a playoff spot. In theory, tanking doesn't require trying to lose individual games. You can just sell off most of the rest of your veteran talent base as it appears Gorton is going to do.

So play hard, win some games now. Build value. Sell high and early if you can. Then February and March will have plenty of losses to secure a high pick slot.

Or is the argument that we should hold onto Hayes, Zuc, McQuaid, Vlad, et al?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I’d keep Hayes at a reasonable price.

And I’m all for packaging guys for an upgrade.

Again, It's not about guarantees. None exist in sports, period. It's a strawman.

What do exist are odds, and I like playing the high ones regarding landing a game changer. If that requires short-term pain for long-term gain, so be it. Bring in R Kelly and tell him to stay away from my eyes.

Odds are you?ll be obsessed with another set of late first-round draft picks.

I don?t think I can remember a top 5 picked guy you wanted to acquire after he was drafted

I’d keep Hayes at a reasonable price.

And I’m all for packaging guys for an upgrade.

I would give 5x5.5 to Hayes. I've been more fond of his game. I said in another thread I wish he could make that last good decision on some of the opportunities he creates with his puck possession and size advantage. I think he's the kind of player just entering his prime, so I'd be willing to bet on him piecing all that potential together. At the same time, if someone really wanted him and offered a great return, I'd probably bite.

You think this team has a chance to win the cup?

I’ll have a cup of whatever it is you’re having :cheers:

Every team that makes the playoffs has a chance to win the Cup. For the pre-emptive "everyone who bought a Mega Millions ticket had a chance to win that too"....sure, but sports is funny sometimes. Hot teams can surprise in the playoffs. I've seen it in several sports. I saw it twice in the NFL with the Giants sneaking in and taking down juggernaut teams. I've seen it in the NHL with the 2011-2012 Kings as I mentioned a couple posts up.

Archived