• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sending Two Scouts to Leafs/Pens Game; Nylander?

Phil

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol, yes.

Teams scouting this game, from a Toronto perspective, means that they're trying to unload somebody to make room for Nylander...idk who the Rangers would be interested in. Kapanen or Leivo are the only two that really make sense. For Pitt, I wonder if the Rangers would be interested in Sprong. Maybe a Zucc/Sprong type of swap could work, but I don't know why the Pens would have any interest in that at this point of the season.

Connor Brown.

But the only thing the Rangers should worry about is first line/pair talent. Brown, Kapanen, Sprong... we are stocked with these middlers that rely on others to be effective.

Connor Brown.

But the only thing the Rangers should worry about is first line/pair talent. Brown, Kapanen, Sprong... we are stocked with these middlers that rely on others to be effective.

I left Brown off b/c he's cost controlled and has no upside. Sprong and Kapanen could play top-6 on this team tomorrow. Leivo's meh, but he's a pending RFA so TOR might be looking to move him.

I left Brown off b/c he's cost controlled and has no upside. Sprong and Kapanen could play top-6 on this team tomorrow. Leivo's meh, but he's a pending RFA so TOR might be looking to move him.

Sure, but they won't be successful, or make the players around them better.

We should not be focusing on secondary players, as that's not a necessity during a rebuild or re-success of the franchise.

Sure, but they won't be successful, or make the players around them better.

We should not be focusing on secondary players, as that's not a necessity during a rebuild or re-success of the franchise.

I didn't say focus on them - I'm saying those are the types of guys NYR would be scouting right now.

Sprong/Kapanen and a pick is a really good return for Zucc...and whether the Rangers are trading Zucc/Hayes/Kreider...whoever...secondary players is what you're going to get unless you find a gem late in the first round.

I’m really not sure why the Leafs would give us Kapanen and a pick for Zucc.

Would be a dreadful deal for them.

Lol, they won't. If they sign Willy, then MAYBE Kap is on the move since he's an RFA at the end of the season, but I just don't think the Rangers have the assets to get him. I don't think TOR would be interested in any of our Dmen.

I didn't say focus on them - I'm saying those are the types of guys NYR would be scouting right now.

Sprong/Kapanen and a pick is a really good return for Zucc...and whether the Rangers are trading Zucc/Hayes/Kreider...whoever...secondary players is what you're going to get unless you find a gem late in the first round.

Not sure we'd see anything close to that for Zucc.

And not sure why Toronto or Pittsburgh is giving up picks and cost controlled young players, especially for Zucc. I could see Pittsburgh pushing for Hayes, and Toronto for DeAngelo/McQuaid. So you probably end up with Hyman and Smith's drinking buddy.

And not sure why Toronto or Pittsburgh is giving up picks and cost controlled young players, especially for Zucc. I could see Pittsburgh pushing for Hayes, and Toronto for DeAngelo/McQuaid. So you probably end up with Hyman and Smith's drinking buddy.

Yea. Zucc also isn't helping his stock value with his current play. The guy's been a non factor.

Kapanen is not cost controlled, that's the point, so he could be the guy that gets moved to make room for Nylander.

And didn't really mean Zucc, exclusively, for Kapanen. I just meant including him as a package. But he would make sense for TOR in that he would give much the same production as Kapanen without committing cap dollars for next year. He'd be a good rental for TOR, and would be highly productive playing with JT and Marleau.

I don't think his trade value was that high to begin with.

Nash could fill multiple roles for a team. Zuccarello is a perimeter player that can make a pass, and used to put up 50 points.

There are much better rentals, come deadline.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/all/forwards/ufa

What do you mean used to put up 50? He had 53 last year and, though he's not playing his best this year, is well beyond that pace.

There is nothing the Rangers could offer that would make Dubas trade Marner.

And that’s the point. Giac is going on how Marner is like Kane only he’s 22. So why in hell would Dubas want a bundle of blah for him. If Marner was ever on the table he’d be moved for a top defenseman. They are ready to win now they are not trading for our crap.

What do you mean used to put up 50? He had 53 last year and, though he's not playing his best this year, is well beyond that pace.

It’s McD all over again.

People are expecting all kinds of returns whereas in fact we’ll be lucky to get a 1st never mind an established, young player for the guys being moved at the deadline.

It’s McD all over again.

People are expecting all kinds of returns whereas in fact we’ll be lucky to get a 1st never mind an established, young player for the guys being moved at the deadline.

The return for Mac was huge...more than I would've given up lol

The return for Mac was huge...more than I would've given up lol

It was, but that’s not the point. People were talking about guys like Point, Sergachev and Gourde. McD was a lot better than what we have to flip now.

You’re not getting an excellent young player like Kapanen for Zucc or anyone else we’re moving at the deadline. A 1st at best.

It was, but that’s not the point. People were talking about guys like Point, Sergachev and Gourde. McD was a lot better than what we have to flip now.

You’re not getting an excellent young player like Kapanen for Zucc or anyone else we’re moving at the deadline. A 1st at best.

But Kapanen could be a cap casualty, and it looks like they might be getting to the point where they have to move him now or lose him for nothing, that's the point you're ignoring...and he's not as valuable as Point or Sergachev anyways. He's more valuable than, say, Howden, but he's not as valuable as Point.

And like I said, Zucc would be part of a package, not straight up.

What do you think Kapanen is going to get for his next contract?

It's going to be

What? He's a ppg player right now. Namestnikov just got $4m...and $3m might be too much for TOR anyways. Marner, Nylander and AM34 are going to get, what, $35m between them?

Right now, they have $43m committed to next year. Those 3 take you to $78m with 1 goalie, 3 defensemen, and only 8 forwards signed. If Kapanen gets $3m and Gardiner gets $4.5m, even if the cap goes up another $5.5m to $85, you're over and don't have a full roster.

They won't allow that, they'll shuttle him back to 4th line.

The damage is done already, or very close. Come his next contract, they're absolutely going to say "look what he did when given the minutes."

He's far more valuable to them to ride out the hot streak and flip him than he is as a 4th liner.

But Kapanen could be a cap casualty, and it looks like they might be getting to the point where they have to move him now or lose him for nothing, that's the point you're ignoring...and he's not as valuable as Point or Sergachev anyways. He's more valuable than, say, Howden, but he's not as valuable as Point.

And like I said, Zucc would be part of a package, not straight up.

But why? He’s at least as good as Zucc, and fits their style. Why flip him for Zucc as a rental? They can easily get far better if they move him.

But why? He’s at least as good as Zucc, and fits their style. Why flip him for Zucc as a rental? They can easily get far better if they move him.

They can't get far better. They have to take a rental because they have to shed salary.

There will probably be better rentals on the market than Zucc (though not many), but that's why I said Zucc as part of a package. Would you rather give up Kapanen + for Mark Stone or Zucc and, idk, Lindgren? Does flipping Kapanen for Alex Edler give you a better chance at a Cup this year than adding Zucc?

Toronto has other options to shed salary - Kadri, Marleau, Zaitsev. But you can't move those first two without making your team worse this year, and Zaitsev would A) create another hole to fill and B) not get a huge return anyways. Or, you just hold Kapanen and not tender him, treat him like an in-house rental. For a guy who could net you more than what he's really worth in your lineup, I don't think that's the move.

Archived