• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers/Devils Preseason Game #1 ? 9/17/18 ? 7pm, MSG

Phil

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because why not!

Mazanec - Hartford mask.

Georgiev - nothing special

SKATERS

McLeod - AHL plug

Hayes - not a great showing. Assuming Zibanejad was suppposed to play and he slotted in

Fast - skating well, a bit reckless. Looked faster. Probably healthy, for once

Staal - pretty solid

Kreider - there

Nieves - skated fast... for no reason

Schneider - some Grabner like breakaways in the second half

Claesson - some good, some really bad

Lindqvist - bad outing

Fogarty - forgettable

Pionk - good OT winner. Forgettable performance

O?Gara - surprise of the night. Shaky first 2 shifts, then looked good. Solid in his own end, shows speed on a few occasions. Weird.

Andersson - great

Lindgren - bias. Good, solid performance. Kept it simple, better than traverse city

DeAngelo - ok defensively. Left me wanting more on the pp

Meskanen - some chances/plays, didn?t stand out like he needs to. First game gitters?

Buchnevich - strong performance. Confident, strong on the puck, controlled play.

Gettinger - enh. Rangers fans will love, but not nhl caliber

Top 6 looked good. Hayes looked like he was filling in and that line didn?t click.

Defense was shaky at first, but got it together and looked good after that.

Goaltending wasn?t good

Because why not!

Mazanec - Hartford mask.

Georgiev - nothing special

SKATERS

McLeod - AHL plug

Hayes - not a great showing. Assuming Zibanejad was suppposed to play and he slotted in

Fast - skating well, a bit reckless. Looked faster. Probably healthy, for once

Staal - pretty solid

Kreider - there

Nieves - skated fast... for no reason

Schneider - some Grabner like breakaways in the second half

Claesson - some good, some really bad

Lindqvist - bad outing

Fogarty - forgettable

Pionk - good OT winner. Forgettable performance

O’Gara - surprise of the night. Shaky first 2 shifts, then looked good. Solid in his own end, shows speed on a few occasions. Weird.

Andersson - great

Lindgren - bias. Good, solid performance. Kept it simple, better than traverse city

DeAngelo - ok defensively. Left me wanting more on the pp

Meskanen - some chances/plays, didn’t stand out like he needs to. First game gitters?

Buchnevich - strong performance. Confident, strong on the puck, controlled play.

Gettinger - enh. Rangers fans will love, but not nhl caliber

Top 6 looked good. Hayes looked like he was filling in and that line didn’t click.

Defense was shaky at first, but got it together and looked good after that.

Goaltending wasn’t good

My opinion changed from period to period. The start of the game looked like the guys that were out there were mostly B players, which they are, but slowly they grew into the game and surprised me. I was impressed by Andersson. Goals aside, I thought he looked quick to the puck. Pionk, TonyD, and Schneider stood out -- I have no idea who he is but he could be in the 4th line conversation for sure.

My opinion changed from period to period. The start of the game looked like the guys that were out there were mostly B players, which they are, but slowly they grew into the game and surprised me. I was impressed by Andersson. Goals aside, I thought he looked quick to the puck. Pionk, TonyD, and Schneider stood out -- I have no idea who he is but he could be in the 4th line conversation for sure.
Schneider led Hartford in points last year, tied for 2nd in goals. I assume that he gets ignored because nobody considers him a prospect at 28. If he had finished one of those point blank chances, he'd have a much stronger case.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Hard to evaluate anything other than special teams when there's been like 30 minutes in PIMS in the game.

Schneider having a visible last few shifts

Just watched the condensed game on YT - first period highlights took forever and about halfway through I realized everything was special teams. It was weird. Schneider's name had already popped up on the screen. He was noticeable in the condensed game, take that for what it is, obviously.

Georgiev and Mazeranc were pretty solid tonight, but Cam Johnson was as well. Good goaltending strengths for both teams

Mazanec...

I know it's the first game of pre-season, but I put this gif together so that we can talk about Mazanec's (Mazeranc LOLOLOL) movement. Take a look... (timestamped at 6:16 to watch the third goal)

As the play develops at the point, we can see the winger on the left go for a change. When the puck comes to the right side and the pass comes to the slot, Mazanec plays the shot from the wing, not the two potential shots that are right in front of him. He's not aware that the wing on the left is completely unmanned.

Jesper Fast is a hockey player.

JF19, wait...17.

JF17!

Schneider led Hartford in points last year, tied for 2nd in goals. I assume that he gets ignored because nobody considers him a prospect at 28. If he had finished one of those point blank chances, he'd have a much stronger case.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Hockey aside, your name is a reference to the best acoustic metal band in all existence, right?

This game did not leave much of an impression, partly because so much of it was played 5 on 4 and no one has had power play practice in two days of camp and the guys on the PP were not the ones who will be there in the regular season. Lias obviously had a strong game. My only other observation would be that DeAngelo looked better than Pionk, which is probably the opposite of the games in which both played last season.

;938603]Hockey aside, your name is a reference to the best acoustic metal band in all existence, right?
Alas, nothing more ironic than Gilbert's first and middle names. He was my one and only as a kid and his middle name just popped into my head as I was picking a username. I'm a geezer. Which band?

This game did not leave much of an impression, partly because so much of it was played 5 on 4 and no one has had power play practice in two days of camp and the guys on the PP were not the ones who will be there in the regular season. Lias obviously had a strong game. My only other observation would be that DeAngelo looked better than Pionk, which is probably the opposite of the games in which both played last season.
Agree. I have generally been higher on Pionk as a more rounded product, but ADA looked like a man who has taken to heart the talk that this is his last shot. He even played a little D.

Alas, nothing more ironic than Gilbert's first and middle names. He was my one and only as a kid and his middle name just popped into my head as I was picking a username. I'm a geezer. Which band?

Ha ok. A band called Rodrigo y Gabriella...two people names Rodrigo and Gabriella from Mexico City.

Agree. I have generally been higher on Pionk as a more rounded product, but ADA looked like a man who has taken to heart the talk that this is his last shot. He even played a little D.

AdA has a much higher ceiling imo. His production in juniors was outstanding, and he put points on the board for both Syracuse and Tucson in the A. It's safe to say he hasn't gotten anywhere near that level as an NHLer, but I still think he has significant upside.

I do like Pionk though, and he impressed me a lot last season. Even though his underlying stats were horrific.

Archived