• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who is Still Here in 2021-22?

josh

Yes, I would have drafted Ryan Callahan at 7 OA if he was going to be a 20g, 55ish point center with the other attributes you mention over the bulk of his prime while also likely starting his NHL career a couple years younger. Callahan's first full season was at 22 (52 games), I expect Andersson's to be at a similar place at either 19 or 20. Callahan peaked in the range above around 25 and only had 2 seasons in that range. If Lias peaks around 22 and has 5 seasons in that range, I'll be happy with the pick.

Put a different way, if Andersson becomes a Ryan O'Reilly type, I'm good with the pick, along with the Chytil and Kravtsov selections for more skill at the forward position as balance.

Then you'd have wasted that pick, having Middlestat there. Hope we don't have that regret.

Then you'd have wasted that pick, having Middlestat there. Hope we don't have that regret.

I'm not defending the pick in the context of the 2017 draft. I'm talking about the value from a 7th overall. If you take a look at the 20 7th overall selected players going back to 1998, you find that there are plenty of complete misses, with a 55 point NHLer being in the top portion of players drafted in that spot.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=bios&reportType=season&seasonFrom=19971998&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&filter=playerDraftOverallPickNo,equals,7&filter=playerDraftYear,gte,1998&sort=points

I also reject out of hand your logic that if you don't get the best possible value for a pick that it is wasted or that just because Middlestat is highly thought of at the moment that it's a gaurantee of anything. Even if Middlestat becomes the best 7th overall drafted player in recent history, if Andersson pans out as I discussed, it's still not a wasted pick. It's simply sub-optimal.

Callahan and O’Reilly comparisons :angry:

:paddle:

There was no Callahan and O'Reilly comparison. It was an Andersson and O'Reilly comparison (with assumptions about Andersson's production and ability at the NHL level cooked in).

I'm not defending the pick in the context of the 2017 draft. I'm talking about the value from a 7th overall. If you take a look at the 20 7th overall selected players going back to 1998, you find that there are plenty of complete misses, with a 55 point NHLer being in the top portion of players drafted in that spot.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=bios&reportType=season&seasonFrom=19971998&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&filter=playerDraftOverallPickNo,equals,7&filter=playerDraftYear,gte,1998&sort=points

I also reject out of hand your logic that if you don't get the best possible value for a pick that it is wasted or that just because Middlestat is highly thought of at the moment that it's a gaurantee of anything. Even if Middlestat becomes the best 7th overall drafted player in recent history, if Andersson pans out as I discussed, it's still not a wasted pick. It's simply sub-optimal.

I reject you.

Archived