• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith's Road to Redemption Begins Now

Phil

You?re talking about 1, maybe 2 seasons under AV. It?s not like they were shitty the entire time.

For the most part, I enjoyed the hockey AV employed over Torts. After Torts abandoned safe is death for death by blocking shots and standing 5 in front, it?s wasnt the most enjoyable hockey.

You're right. They both had fantastic starts followed by fantastically bad downfalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me outside of the press conferences those teams were the most enjoyable to watch in A long long time. Really the only time that the rangers were the tougher team every night. Also they never took a night off. There were so few games if any that they didn’t give a grade a effort. It still baffles my mind why the rangers with that roster and hank would want to play any other way at that point. Also make no mistake the structure that was formed during those years was the foundation to any success Av had. A foundation that got weaker with every passing year of av at the helm.

You?re talking about 1, maybe 2 seasons under AV. It?s not like they were shitty the entire time.

For the most part, I enjoyed the hockey AV employed over Torts. After Torts abandoned safe is death for death by blocking shots and standing 5 in front, it?s wasnt the most enjoyable hockey.

The brand of hockey is a reflection of the roster.

Style on the coach, how they play that style on the players.
Nah. Coach plays the hand he's dealt. Looks at the roster and puts in a system based on the talent he has.

There's no coach in the NHL with a team of plugs that goes out and tries to have a barn burner.

Nah. Coach plays the hand he's dealt. Looks at the roster and puts in a system based on the talent he has.

There's no coach in the NHL with a team of plugs that goes out and tries to have a barn burner.

NY always give the coach the players that fit their system.

Torts/AVs teams werent built for each other. One of the reasons they both fell short their final seasons was due to rosters being changed, but not to meet the coaches styles, creating numerous issues that plagued the potential success of those teams.

NY always give the coach the players that fit their system.

Torts/AVs teams werent built for each other. One of the reasons they both fell short their final seasons was due to rosters being changed, but not to meet the coaches styles, creating numerous issues that plagued the potential success of those teams.

Yes over the course of multiple seasons. Not on day 1. It took time to get Richards, Nash, etc.

stop blaming AV for every little thing you, as a fan, didn't like about the team. its getting ridiculous

No, what is ridiculous is your inaccurate attack on me. If you missed all the positive things I've had to say about AV over the years here, then that is on you. You also missed where I place most of the blame, if that is what you are concerned about. So your attempt to define me and my beliefs were wrong on two accounts. Better you analyze hockey and the Rangers, not me.

You seem to be grouping others opinions with mine. To be clear, I think AV is a very good coach. He was very good here and in Vanc. I'd argue he was excellent here, his first two years. He encouraged a fast offensively threatening 4-line game where we played as a unit of 5. This was needed. However, this team descended starting sometime during his 2nd year. The coach and Sather were part of the reason and should have some accountability. That is hardly blaming everything that went wrong on AV. They were the key mgmt decision makers though.

Besides, I was mostly addressing how the Eakin hit would not get a response. Maybe I'm wrong, but I won't 100% discount a coach's influence about something he was constantly preaching and reinforcing. I also won't insult you personally for feeling differently about it.

Since jsrangers and Vodka needed to further dogpile on me, somehow making it about me and my need to propagate a narrative, I decided I needed to address this. Honestly, I could give a shit about this supposed narrative (really it was just an explanation, feel free to give yours) and would prefer not to waste any more time on it.

Those teams also climbed back into ANY game they were down in. A trait entirely lost under AV. Trailing 2-0 after two in 2011? Still in it. Significant chance they'd at least tie it up and take the game to OT. Trailing 2-0 in 2017? Game over.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Oh yeah. Totally. Has nothing to do with with the subject of playing physical and sticking up for teammates. That's what we're talking about now right? (Honestly, I'm on vacation and may not be totally with it)..

Archived