• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith's Road to Redemption Begins Now

Phil

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phil I get that we don't see what's going on in the room (it's a great point) but do you really think a guy that screwed up so bad last year would ever get the opportunity to wear a C anywhere in the NHL? Not a betting guy but I'll take the under there. I think it would send a terrible message to the others in the room if it ever happened here.

No, I don't. I also don't think any of us have a clue who would. We just throw darts at the wall based on what we do, like years played, a player having work a letter for another team, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think the main purpose of these conversations is to throw darts especially in the off season when most comments are speculation.

I saw him in a few Wolfpack games near the end of the season and he looked hungry, played his ass off. If he's in as good of shape as Maloney claims he is, physically and mentally, then I'd expect a good turnaround from him. Team could use it....

I get that. I just think this one's beyond reproach.

Personally, I'd tap someone like Kreider or Shattenkirk to captain the team in the interim while everything develops. Andersson's probably a future captain, so perhaps these guys with visible shelf lives on their contracts can bridge to him? Otherwise, given how little it matters, name Lundqvist captain a la Luongo. Let him paint it on his mask since he can't actually wear it and again, wait for the next skater to prove he's ready for it.

I get that. I just think this one's beyond reproach.

Personally, I'd tap someone like Kreider or Shattenkirk to captain the team in the interim while everything develops. Andersson's probably a future captain, so perhaps these guys with visible shelf lives on their contracts can bridge to him? Otherwise, given how little it matters, name Lundqvist captain a la Luongo. Let him paint it on his mask since he can't actually wear it and again, wait for the next skater to prove he's ready for it.

I'm with you on that Phil. Obvious to any casual observer it's safe to say Brendan Smith is going to have to really make up for a lot before he even makes the team....no less becomes a captain. LOL

I'm just so ready for this guy to prove everyone wrong, and that he is the guy I watched in Detroit, and we got a really good player in him. I'm going to hold AV responsible for his decline until I see he cannot play well under Quinn either....But I think the outcome is going to be vastly different.

I wanna be surprised at how much better a player can be when he has the support of his coach and staff. I don't feel he had it under the former....what's his name again?

I'm with you on that Phil. Obvious to any casual observer it's safe to say Brendan Smith is going to have to really make up for a lot before he even makes the team....no less becomes a captain. LOL

I'm just so ready for this guy to prove everyone wrong, and that he is the guy I watched in Detroit, and we got a really good player in him. I'm going to hold AV responsible for his decline until I see he cannot play well under Quinn either....But I think the outcome is going to be vastly different.

I wanna be surprised at how much better a player can be when he has the support of his coach and staff. I don't feel he had it under the former....what's his name again?

Ozzy please explain how AV caused him to show up to camp significantly overweight and out of shape.

Phil I get that we don't see what's going on in the room (it's a great point) but do you really think a guy that screwed up so bad last year would ever get the opportunity to wear a C anywhere in the NHL? Not a betting guy but I'll take the under there. I think it would send a terrible message to the others in the room if it ever happened here.

So because a player makes a mistake means he shouldn't be given a fair chance. Id rather have a guy who screwed up and came back and got his shit together and worked his ass off to get his game back than give it to a guy who is a prima donna on the ice and who is given a letter because he is a star player.

You can't blame AV for everything. Smith himself said he came into camp overweight and that it was his fault.

Who doesn't!!! LOL

I used to have a drinking problem....but now I have enough money!!! :rofl:

I can't wait to see this kid prove everyone who didn't believe, wrong. ....can't.....wait.

I also like "Captain Brendan Smith".....we can use a player as a captain that isn't a pussy!

We really need to move past the "Our captain must be strong like bull and pound down puny opponents".

It's so 1994.

So because a player makes a mistake means he shouldn't be given a fair chance. Id rather have a guy who screwed up and came back and got his shit together and worked his ass off to get his game back than give it to a guy who is a prima donna on the ice and who is given a letter because he is a star player.

Yeah I'd say that disqualifies him from any talk of being a captain. This isn't on AV either by any stretch, if Gorton didn't agree with banning the guy for the season he would of been brought up when the ship started to sin and the blue line was a disaster.

I also don't think Smith bring any kind of fear factor to the other teams. The fact he's not baby shit soft compared to some of our other guys doesn't impact the opponents.

Now as long as we're stuck with him I hope he plays well, now that he threw away the first year of his contract.

Like always :rofl:

Like always :rofl:

Somebody gets it!! ;)

I hold AV responsible for everything:

The Red light ticket I got...

The time that chick fell out of my car while it was moving

The war of 1812

Mrs. O'Leary's cow...

I was even trying to link him to how I got banned from facebook... :rofl:

But other than that, Pete...I like the physical part of the game, and I still feel it's a vital part of a team's success. Even though I know it's so 1994, like you said...we did win with that formula. Aren't you tired of watching other teams take liberties with our team?

Hell, I was at MSG in December of '79 when O' Reilly, McNab and Milbury went up into the stands, and I gotta tell you...other than the dude Milbury beat the piss out of with his own shoe, the crowd was tougher than the team we had on the ice. McNab actually did a number on some guy's face! What an ass kickin'!

But yeah man, I'm tired of teams running Hank, and guys getting pounded with no retaliation. Why shouldn't teams beat on the Rangers? They play like a bunch of pussies, and you can intimidate them into the ice.

Couldn't do that in '94. Had more than a few guys that would flat out beat the ever lovin' piss outta whoever messed with them. Now I'm not saying we have to revert back to the Flyer days of the mid 70's here gang, but these new kids are going to have to need some protection to mature over the next 2-3 years. Having a couple of players that can stand up for them, and let them get a little confidence may be just what the doctor ordered.

...and for the record, most of the reason why I couldn't stand AV, was because he coached pussy hockey. Which puzzles me greatly. When AV played the game, he was a tough bastard...cheap too! I actually liked his game!

as a coach though...I don't know. Maybe he met Jesus, or had some kind of outer body experience that changed his ways...either way it sucked.

Ever see anyone run Richter in '94? I didn't....

Well written piece, Phil.

All eyes on Smith now to see if he truly turns the page and passes on the extra dessert. On ice? Yeah, some snarl and grit would be great. I?ll take that from him if he?s not a points producer. Play tough. Make it known so that no winger wants to come down your side. Do that and mostly everything will be forgiven.

Archived