• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Do You NOT Want at 9?

josh

If there's a no brainer big time offensive D, fine. But There are only going to be 7 D on the roster at any given time, and only 4 of them getting the bulk of minutes. Skjei, Shattenkirk, Pionk are going to lock down 3 of those slots, Smith or Staal (figure 1 or the other is gone) will be the 4, DeAngelo and 3 young guys will get a shot. Shattenkirk is the old man (assuming Staal is gone) at 28 with a long term contract. How much really is a young D going to play in the next 3 years?
It's highly unlikely that 5 of the first 9 picks are forwards so the point is moot. A forward will most likely be available at 9 and any D available will not make an immediate impact.

Meant Skjei, forgot about Rykov. But it kind of looks like enough defense and still not enough scoring up front. If there is a can't miss scoring defense, sure. But we need to develop our own scoring rather than trade for it as NYR have during this pas run.

JAG was Bill Parcells' description of an average player, roster filler, replacement value , Just Another Guy.

None of them are A level prospects tho. If we pick a D at #9 he will be our best D prospect by far, and most likely the only one with a #1D potential.

If all the wingers are gone by the time we are on the clock we should go for a D (even ahead of Kotk).

What I mean is you can trade from that group to add as needed. Quality centers are the most valuable trade chip in the league, forward-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Centers bring most value, followed by D-men. By the same rationale, if Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Zadina, and even Kotkaniemi are all gone, Rangers should not go casting about for a winger. Pick up the best D-man, upgrade the herd, and deal off extra prospects later. BPA, all the way!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Centers bring most value, followed by D-men. By the same rationale, if Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Zadina, and even Kotkaniemi are all gone, Rangers should not go casting about for a winger. Pick up the best D-man, upgrade the herd, and deal off extra prospects later. BPA, all the way!

:repped:

you, zuc, 31, me agree. No reaching, highest grade/upside on our board, w/o a red flag. It's not like we have a bunch of surefire top pair Dmen on the team or in the system anyway.

Saw somewhere today that Rangers don't like Boqvist. I'm worried that if he's the player available they'll go off board... again.
I get that in the "new NHL," Boqvist is a prototype D-man: light and quick, probably real smart, too. But as I watched deeper and deeper into the playoffs, I saw a whole lot of the "old NHL" where the blue line corps needs to be 6'3", 220 cro-magnon men that have concussions for breakfast and don't particularly notice or mind if their little finger falls off.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I get that in the "new NHL," Boqvist is a prototype D-man: light and quick, probably real smart, too. But as I watched deeper and deeper into the playoffs, I saw a whole lot of the "old NHL" where the blue line corps needs to be 6'3", 220 cro-magnon men that have concussions for breakfast and don't particularly notice or mind if their little finger falls off.

Of all the Dmen. Boqvist has slipped the most. If they don't like him I guess there must be a reason.

The size of some of these D men is a concern to me. Obviously not Bouchard or Dobson. This thought that they can handle bigger players at the level they play in now, will transfer to the pro game is wishful thinking.

Certainly a concern. As Dunny has said, don?t need to draft Ryan Murray. For a few of these guys, they are projecting close to a ppg defender for several years, and if the defense is serviceable, that?s a good pick

Archived