• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Peter Holland Called Up/Boo Nieves Sent Down to Hartford

ThirtyONE

But doesn't Holland require waivers to be sent down when that eventually does not work?

Yes, if they try to get him back to the AHL again, he'd require waivers. If it doesn't work, I doubt the Rangers will be overly concerned with that risk. If he gets claimed, it's no skin off their backs, really. The same can't be said of Desharnais, who holds real trade value.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nieves is not a very good NHL player. Not only does he make a lot of mistakes, but most of them are magnified. At 24 and a forward, he's running out of time to be a regular in a NHL line up. We stink right now, we're hurt, and we need help in the middle. What's the worst that can happen ?

Out of curiosity, can you explain what you mean? What mistakes are you referring to besides the typical Ranger forward who passes too much? I think he's a good skater is good on face-off, gets back on D, is pretty strong on D (for a young guy known more for his offense) , as far as coverage goes. He's got really good vision, has ok size, and carries the puck strong and with confidence.. His compete level seems to be there. .

Are your complaints about his offense?

Just trying to pick your brain to see what it is that I'm not.

Yes, if they try to get him back to the AHL again, he'd require waivers. If it doesn't work, I doubt the Rangers will be overly concerned with that risk. If he gets claimed, it's no skin off their backs, really. The same can't be said of Desharnais, who holds real trade value.

Does Desharnias have trade value though? I guess as depth yeah, but I'd say he's in that boat with Holland.

Out of curiosity, can you explain what you mean? What mistakes are you referring to besides the typical Ranger forward who passes too much? I think he's a good skater is good on face-off, gets back on D, is pretty strong on D (for a young guy known more for his offense) , as far as coverage goes. He's got really good vision, has ok size, and carries the puck strong and with confidence.. His compete level seems to be there. .

I don't think he was ever known for his offense, so I didn't really expect him to come up here and put points up. I honestly don't know what his FO % is and I couldn't even guess, but I feel like if it were over 50% we'd hear about it more. In the 10-12 minutes a game he gets, ask yourself how many times you notice him out there. I think his effort is fine, but I think he gets lost, has taken some dumb penalties, and makes questionable decisions with the puck. He doesn't do enough or play a good 200' game consistently enough to stay in the league right now. Just look at other 24 year olds in the show and use them as a guage. I'm not saying to compare him to bonafide superstars, just to some bottom 6 guys.

I agree on his defensive skill. Maybe in college he had that offense, he has some playmaking ability and could get better. He's a fourth liner right now and had played well for a majority of the time, but let's see what Holland adds, maybe an offensive spark?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

DD's value at the deadline will be a 4th or 5th rounder (ie next to nothing). There's no point in keeping him around for that. At 24, Nieves pretty much is what he's going to be. On a team with a lot of players who have not been defensively responsible, he was not one of the worst offenders.

DD's value at the deadline will be a 4th or 5th rounder (ie next to nothing). There's no point in keeping him around for that. At 24, Nieves pretty much is what he's going to be. On a team with a lot of players who have not been defensively responsible, he was not one of the worst offenders.

Do you think the Rangers could really get a 4th or 5th rounder for him?

He's on pace for just under 40 points and he's a center. He'll get them a third, easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Holland chooses #12. Obviously doesn't know the recent history of that sweater: Eric Staal, Matt Puempel, Dan Paille, Lee Stempniak etc. Heck, Ron Stewart wore #12 and offed Terry Sawchuck. It's been a bad number for the Rangers since I've been watching (long long time).

The centers have been absolutely brutal, recently. All of them. Zib was out and has been dreadful upon return, Hayes has been ok defensively but nothing offensively - now out, DD's play has really tailed off, Miller hasnt been good there, and the 4th line was decent, but that seems like a few weeks ago, now.

Coming into the season, it was a huge concern.

The centers have been absolutely brutal, recently. All of them. Zib was out and has been dreadful upon return, Hayes has been ok defensively but nothing offensively - now out, DD's play has really tailed off, Miller hasnt been good there, and the 4th line was decent, but that seems like a few weeks ago, now.

Coming into the season, it was a huge concern.

Should be a concern for the remainder of the season and on. Can?t go anywhere in playoffs without reliable center depth.

I don't think he was ever known for his offense, so I didn't really expect him to come up here and put points up. I honestly don't know what his FO % is and I couldn't even guess, but I feel like if it were over 50% we'd hear about it more. In the 10-12 minutes a game he gets, ask yourself how many times you notice him out there. I think his effort is fine, but I think he gets lost, has taken some dumb penalties, and makes questionable decisions with the puck. He doesn't do enough or play a good 200' game consistently enough to stay in the league right now. Just look at other 24 year olds in the show and use them as a guage. I'm not saying to compare him to bonafide superstars, just to some bottom 6 guys.

He was known as an offensive minded player with good set up skills. So obviously AV put him in a checking /defensive role. I feel he did pretty good at it and carried what little offensive presence the 4th line had. I see above average skating and passing skills, but is not willing to shoot the Puck. Odd that this seems to be a problem with All Ranger players. Christ, has Shattenkirk gotten a shot on goal in a month (whoa! Upon looking it up, he is goalless in last 28... That can't be right...) ? Why does this always happen? These guys start off willing to shoot at will, but once they settle in to AVs system, nobody wants to shoot. The mentality of Shattenkirk, Zib, Buch, Miller, has gone from shoot at every chance, to pass it at every chance. I don't get how every fresh face starts off like a sparkplug, then winds up a dull, soft passing pussbag.

Anyway, I agree that for a 24 y/o he's still a bit green. He hasn't really played all that much in the last few years though from what I have looked up. Did he have an injury?

Something the Rangers lack is puck possession and I felt Nieves was pretty good at taking the puck in the offensive zone and finding a way to hang on for that extra second or two. I don't have any stats to back that up but compared to the rest of the guys who basically vomit up the puck instantly, I think he was a valuable piece in that he was different. The Rangers are basically a lineup of similar players.

Where was Nieves an offensive minded player? Did he play Junior B or something?

When he played for Michigan? And he did play a short stint in Jr's. Obviously not a big time gifted top of the line prospect but he had enough upside to be taken in the 2nd round. All old scouting reports claim that he has big offensive upside. Not something I made up.

When he played for Michigan? And he did play a short stint in Jr's. Obviously not a big time gifted top of the line prospect but he had enough upside to be taken in the 2nd round. All old scouting reports claim that he has big offensive upside. Not something I made up.

A scouting report stating he has/had a big offensive upside doesn't mean he's an offensive player. It means he is who he is, with the potential for an offensive upside. It never happened. Dunny was being facetious with his junior B question, lets just say it's easy to rack up points there.

Every one of these guys was a offensive dynamo at some level.

In Nieves case, he went through struggles generating offense at the NCAA D1 level. He came on a bit, but overall he wasn't a great, offensive college player. Then, at the next level, the AHL, he is generating less than half a point a game.

What does that translate to at the NHL level as a 24 year old rookie? My guess is somewhere between Blair Betts and Ryan Hollweg numbers.

Not that he can't be a useful piece at this level, but he's roster filler tbh.

Ovechkin wasnt.

just saying.

Boo wasnt even a big name, locally. Knew the name, but didnt expect a ton from him entering the draft.

Also, he was always a big kid. As others grew, he's effectiveness shrank.

Ovi turned it on before he was 24 though. He was also touted as being a super talent 2 years before his draft. Michael's goalie coach played against him in Europe at one of those national tournaments when he was at the NTDP. Ovi got him for 4 goals in the first period. LOL. Malkin was also on the team.

Archived