• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

COL Trades Matt Duchene to NSH for Kyle Turris in Blockbuster Deal

Shane Falco

If they can't re-sign Duchene, they can trade him and recoup almost all of what they traded.

Again, I'm not overly impressed with the prospects acquired, especially compared to what they got for ROR a few years ago. And, I'm not a big draft pick guy. The Rangers roster consists of less than 33% draft picks, and half are from the first round. And that's 18 years worth of draft picks. Colorado is already icing half a team of first round picks (4 of their own)... and have for awhile. And it hasn't been working.

Did we get too little in the Stepan trade?

Possibly, but I'm happy with the return. Have to consider that the pick we received was quite high (7th) compared to the first round picks that Colorado will receive here, which will likely shake out around 18th - 30th. Huge difference between those two. Not sure the algorithm GMs use to asses the first round picks as a function of their overall placement, but it could be argued that a 7th is twice as valuable as a 18th - 30th, or something like that. Again, I don't know what that valuation is but there's certainly more value to that 7th pick than the ones Colorado has received, and because of that I think it's probably a wash.

I think they got a better return for ROR... and that didn't turn out to be much at all. Most of the prospects won't amount to much, and draft picks are a crap shoot.

Time will tell.

From a Rangers fan point, Ottawa got better.

I think the biggest asset COL got was Girard. He's just 19 yo and cracked the lineup on the stacked Nashville blueline. Take him plus a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, backup goalie, prospect and thats a really good return for a player that every team in the league knew wanted out of there.

Turris was nearly as good as Duchene in the last few years... not really sure how much better Ottawa really got. Plus, Duchene seems like a total headcase. I think Turris was also at some point but seems like he's come down to earth a little since being traded to Ottawa

Turris was nearly as good as Duchene in the last few years... not really sure how much better Ottawa really got. Plus, Duchene seems like a total headcase. I think Turris was also at some point but seems like he's come down to earth a little since being traded to Ottawa

I don't really agree about Duchene being a headcase, but I agree that I don't think this really makes Ottawa better. I guess they'll be a bit more explosive on offense, but with that trapping style, idk how much room there really is for that. Seems like a big price for a marginal improvement.

Not sure how this is a lose for Colorado. They're made worse by this right now which only improves their lottery chances, and they get a ton of prospects for a player who absolutely did not want to be there. This has got to be one of the biggest hauls for an unhappy player since the Martin St. Louis trade.

Agreed and I'm pretty sure Duchene goes UFA after next season. Colorado made a killing here. Lots of picks and prospects for a year and a half rental of a guy that asked to be traded.

Sucks, I thought the Rangers could have gotten Duchene. Glad they didn't pay that price. I think Nashville also comes away a winner by not giving up much for a very good center who signed an ok extension. Turris has been under rated for years.

Agreed and I'm pretty sure Duchene goes UFA after next season. Colorado made a killing here. Lots of picks and prospects for a year and a half rental of a guy that asked to be traded.

Sucks, I thought the Rangers could have gotten Duchene. Glad they didn't pay that price. I think Nashville also comes away a winner by not giving up much for a very good center who signed an ok extension. Turris has been under rated for years.

Agree

Both Col and Nas won

Ott was the HUGE loser in this one

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Colorado did well,i dont think Ottawa got much better

They got better.

Plus, they were not going to sign Turris.

And they can trade Duchene next season, if he wants too much money.

Ottawa needs to push the pace if they expect EK to stay.

"Glad they [NYR] didn't pay that price. " was the first thing that came to my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived