• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Would You Rank the Seattle Grunge Top-Four?

Phil

In terms of my own personal preference

Nirvana

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

Pearl Jam

I loved Nirvana. Here's something that always fucked with my mind. I loved Nirvana and I love Foo Fighters. Would you prefer Kurt never killed himself and Nirvana played on but Foo Fighters never existed?

I had heard that Nirvana was coming to an end before Kurt killed himself, and that he was planning to do his own thing because he didn't like the success of Nirvana. Again, this is just rumor, but it kind of makes sense if you read some of his journal entries. He was also planning on divorcing Courtney Love at the time. If you want to watch a great doc on Kurt, watch Soaked in Bleach, it really opens a lot of thoughts on his "suicide".

I had heard that Nirvana was coming to an end before Kurt killed himself, and that he was planning to do his own thing because he didn't like the success of Nirvana. Again, this is just rumor, but it kind of makes sense if you read some of his journal entries. He was also planning on divorcing Courtney Love at the time. If you want to watch a great doc on Kurt, watch Soaked in Bleach, it really opens a lot of thoughts on his "suicide".

Was that the one on HBO or Showtime last year? If so I saw it.

Was that the one on HBO or Showtime last year? If so I saw it.

No, its on Netflix. This one is by the private detective Courtney had hired. It has a lot of crime scene photo's and talks about all of the evidence they found at the scene and how it really can't be suicide. They have a couple of experts look at the case as well. Its really good, better than the one that was on HBO.

Nirvana- Stands alone above the rest.

Pearl Jam- Longevity alone

Soundgarden- Greater commercial success

Alive in Chains- I'd personally put them 3rd

I'm adding a 5th

Stone Temple Pilots

This would be my list.

Nirvana gets the edge because they were so influential on me growing up. Funny enough pesrljam I was never big on until

I got older, now as far as music goes I think I enjoy them a lot more than I do nirvana. Maybe I've just played nirvana out.

3-5 I can almost say is a tie but those would be my choices.

I loved Nirvana. Here's something that always fucked with my mind. I loved Nirvana and I love Foo Fighters. Would you prefer Kurt never killed himself and Nirvana played on but Foo Fighters never existed?

Honestly, I think it was only a matter of time that Grohl did his own thing anyways. I think he was already recording Foo Fighters and planned to release it anonymously before Cobain died - he had written like 40 songs while he was a part of Nirvana but never shared them with the band. Having both Foo and Nirvana was possible, I guess, but Foo Fighters was always going to happen.

Basically what Pars is saying. The younger generation doesn't know what its like to get excited to get that new album like we did. You can hear a whole album before its released because songs are leaked or put up because album sales aren't as big as the used to. You can get anything now with the click of a button, and Im not complaining, but it meant more back when we were younger because a bad album could kill a bands career. An album release was a big deal, and you wanted your favorite band to be tops in sales that week. There was a loyalty to get the album. Now, you have no loyalty because most of the music coming out is one hit wonders. Its not what it was, and that sales isn't as important as it used to be. There was a pride back then, now, not as much.

I guess I get that there's not as much as excitement about and album, explicitly.

But the abstract stuff about loyalty I just don't think is true. "Kids" still have favorite bands or artists that they listen to constantly and gobble up everything new that comes out. I doubt there's significantly more one-hit wonders than there were in the 90s.

No, its on Netflix. This one is by the private detective Courtney had hired. It has a lot of crime scene photo's and talks about all of the evidence they found at the scene and how it really can't be suicide. They have a couple of experts look at the case as well. Its really good, better than the one that was on HBO.

I will definitely check that out, thank you so much for that!

Honestly, I think it was only a matter of time that Grohl did his own thing anyways. I think he was already recording Foo Fighters and planned to release it anonymously before Cobain died - he had written like 40 songs while he was a part of Nirvana but never shared them with the band. Having both Foo and Nirvana was possible, I guess, but Foo Fighters was always going to happen.

Yea I guess you're right. He's too talented to have stayed back there and just play the drums for too long.

Nirvana- Stands alone above the rest.

Pearl Jam- Longevity alone

Soundgarden- Greater commercial success

Alive in Chains- I'd personally put them 3rd

I'm adding a 5th

Stone Temple Pilots

STP weren't from Seattle.

I go with:

AIC

Nirvana

Soundgarden

Pearl jam.

Melvins over all of them though.

Outside of Ten and Temple of the Dog, I just don't care about Pearl Jam at all.

Me too. I LOVED ten, and the album after that, but everything after is just not really too great IMO. I don't know why, I just don't like most of their body of work.

This is so hard. I can't believe there has been no mention of Audioslave hefre. I can't even begin to come up with a list. I am totally enamored by the connection of Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Audioslave. To me, Chis and Andy are the Godfathers of Grunge. I like Nirvana, Alice and Chains and Foo Fighters, but grunge wouldn't be grunge without Andy and Chris.

For me personally:

Alice in Chains — This was the band my dad played non-stop when I was growing up to the point that I hated it as a teen. But now I consider them one of my favourite bands.

Pearl Jam — I never really liked them growing up, but the last few years I've really gotten into them.

Nirvana — They were one of my favorite bands in high school and a bit later, but I barely listen to them anymore.

Soundgarden — My dad is huge into them and Cornell as a singer. I never really got into Soundgarden, but I liked Audioslave when they were big and always liked Cornell's solo stuff.

This is so hard. I can't believe there has been no mention of Audioslave hefre. I can't even begin to come up with a list. I am totally enamored by the connection of Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Audioslave. To me, Chis and Andy are the Godfathers of Grunge. I like Nirvana, Alice and Chains and Foo Fighters, but grunge wouldn't be grunge without Andy and Chris.

Audioslave wasnt grunge though. PJ, Sound Garden, Nirvana and AIC were all the big Grunge era bands and all were from Seattle. Mother Love Bone is more punk than grunge IMO too, but Audiosoave came after grunge was over.

Me too. I LOVED ten, and the album after that, but everything after is just not really too great IMO. I don't know why, I just don't like most of their body of work.

Same here, Ten and Vs. were great albums, but then they tanked off for me. Virology had a couple of decent songs, but wasn't anywhere near how good the first two were.

Im a huge PJ fan however as far as best grunge bands I would put:

Soundgarden

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Alice in Chains

Pearl Jams Ten, Vs., Vitalogy were their 3 best albums, then the next 4 were kind of iffy, either though Yield started growing on me a few years ago, then the last 3 albums I thought were very well done, especially Pearl Jam (avocado).

Mother Love Bone was awesome.

Honorable mention would have to be Temple of the Dog, Chris lead singer, PJ members, and a tribute to Andy Wood

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably blasphemy to most:

1. Alice In Chains- Probably my favorite band of all time, fortunate to see the original lineup 6 or 7 times. The new incarnation with William Duvall is actually quite good.

2. Soundgarden- Saw them open for Guns N Roses at MSG. They were touring for Badmotorfinger.. They were much better than GnR that night, loved them ever since.

3. Pearl Jam- 10 I loved, Vs. and Yield were great.. I can't remember the last album they had that I really liked.

4. Nirvana- I liked Nevermind very much, but the rest of the catalog never did much for me.. Weird they didn't have a song on the Singles soundtrack

5. Mudhoney - Underrated band

6. Screaming Trees- See above

7. Mother Love Bone- Andrew Wood dying was a seminal moment in the genre.

Archived