• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Does Jesper Fast Bring To This Team?

ThirtyONE

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are better and younger options than Raanta despite how good he's been. Grubauer will definitely be one of the picks for Vegas. Probably Calvin Pickard if Colorado chooses to protect Varlamov, but I could even see Varlamov being selected if they think he can overcome his injury struggles.

One of Fast, Grabner or Lindberg definitely goes.

Certainly. Raanta is about the 5th most attractive guy that we'll have to expose.

Those are some good points you bring up about our bottom lines against Montreal. As far as what you said about Fast, I couldn't have said it any better myself. It's funny how many fans dislike a player unless they're scoring goals. It seems like nobody ever looks things like back checking, breaking up passes or helping out on a face off when nobody has cleanly won it and the puck is still hanging around. I think Fast is a scrappy yet smart player that does all the little things that help create scoring chances or keep those plays alive. He's willing to do whatever he has to do to help the team.

Frankly, I can't wait to see a 4th line of Fast-Lind- (Grabner/Vesey/Buch) skate circles around that slow goonish 4th line the Habs put together at the deadline. The 3rd and 4th lines can make a huge difference in the playoffs, where there can be wider mismatches in talent and speed. If we have our top 12 forward healthy for the playoffs, I expect our bottom six to dominate.

Me too.

But I bet AV puts Glass on that line lol

Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I'm really dumbfounded by it. Fast is one of the more valuable contracts on the team. He's a 25-30 point 3rd/4th line tweener. He's one of our most trustworthy forwards defensively on the team, very rarely turns the puck over in our zone. He has good quickness on the puck offensively to disrupt plays, is a decent passer and is great at deflecting point shots. He doesn't take bad penalties. He makes less than $1M against the cap and is still an RFA once the contract is up after this year.

He's also the guy you put out at the end of the game protecting a one goal lead. In fact, when AV has shortened the bench late in games to protect a lead, it's always Fast that slots up while Vesey or Buchnevich find themselves on the bench. As a constant critic of AV's in-game coaching strategies, that is one thing he gets consistently right.

I'm just not sure what there is to not like here, or to argue that Pirri or Puempel specifically deserve to be in the lineup over him. Neither Pirri (.32 P/GP) nor Puempel (.36 P/GP) have so clearly out produce Fast (.31 P/GP) that you could consider putting them in over him when you also factor in their deficiencies in other areas.

Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I'm really dumbfounded by it. Fast is one of the more valuable contracts on the team. He's a 25-30 point 3rd/4th line tweener. He's one of our most trustworthy forwards defensively on the team, very rarely turns the puck over in our zone. He has good quickness on the puck offensively to disrupt plays, is a decent passer and is great at deflecting point shots. He doesn't take bad penalties. He makes less than $1M against the cap and is still an RFA once the contract is up after this year.

He's also the guy you put out at the end of the game protecting a one goal lead. In fact, when AV has shortened the bench late in games to protect a lead, it's always Fast that slots up while Vesey or Buchnevich find themselves on the bench. As a constant critic of AV's in-game coaching strategies, that is one thing he gets consistently right.

I'm just not sure what there is to not like here, or to argue that Pirri or Puempel specifically deserve to be in the lineup over him. Neither Pirri (.32 P/GP) nor Puempel (.36 P/GP) have so clearly out produce Fast (.31 P/GP) that you could consider putting them in over him when you also consider their deficiencies in other areas.

Great point with AV giving him more ice time late for the rookies. Fast is very important especially with a favorable contract. Great post AJ

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

• 2 weeks later...

Welp. I'm an idiot, huh?

I'd like to clear my conscious by saying I was dead wrong about Fast and the 4th line in general. They were our most consistent line against Montreal.

I'm not sure what happened between regular season (where I didn't think they were all that useful) and playoffs where they became the line I wanted on the ice the most. I'd like to think the addition of Grabner helped but Fast and Lindberg were awesome, no doubt about it.

Funny how when AV returns to the lines he used at the beginning of the season -- when the Rangers were kicking the most ass -- they suddenly look like a dangerous team again.

I think we have to protect him if there's a way. But ? I have no idea of what the calculus is as far as who else gets exposed if Fast is protected?

Anyone got a handy-dandy up-to-date list of options?

Klein, Holden, Grabner, and Raanta all would be available more than likely, and offer more than Fast for a team that will rely on defense and goaltending to be competitive.

Klein, Holden, Grabner, and Raanta all would be available more than likely, and offer more than Fast for a team that will rely on defense and goaltending to be competitive.

Klein is a UFA and, if Vegas is going to be a defensive team, then Fast should be their top target. There's going to be a dozen Holdens available.

Klein is a UFA and, if Vegas is going to be a defensive team, then Fast should be their top target. There's going to be a dozen Holdens available.

Klein still has 1 more year on his deal, but I agree that if Vegas is going the defnsive route, then Fast is the perfect candidate.

I think it'll be Grabner or Raanta. Raanta will be a candidate to be their starter, if not a fantastic backup to try and steal games for a developing team.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think Grabner is a lot more likely than Raanta.

There are so many goalies available (Grubauer, Korpisalo, Pickard, Darling, Kuemper) who provide the same presence as Raanta with potentially higher long-term upside, I just have a hard time seeing Raanta being their pick.

Maybe it's just me, but Raanta is better than all of the goaltenders you mentioned. For long term outlook sure, but you are trying to establish a fan base and have a somewhat not embarrassing product on the ice. Korpisalo or Grubauer maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking for a new backup next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived