• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Hockey Thing Took You an Embarrassing Length of Time to "Get"?

Phil

Usually you just call out the center's name of the next line you want out, unless you're making personnel changes for whatever reason.

Everyone knows who they have coming off the ice in every situation. If you're a LW, you always take the LW, or sometimes you can have an order, like player A takes the 1st guy off, B takes the 2nd, C takes the 3rd.

Do they use that order to get more ice time for players who can handle it effectively or for more well rounded players who can attack and defend? Both?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, that makes sense. I wonder how much impact a player have on this. Like if he is gassed as hell he could sometimes say that he needs an extra minute or two.

A rule I never understood is why a goalie cant cross the redline. Annoys the hell out of me when Im playing goalie mode on NHL17 lol.

Nope. If you're on the bench you have to be ready to go at all times unless you're injured or having an equipment issue, in which case you're either being tended to by the trainer/equipment manager or in the locker room. If you tell your coach you're too tired to go out, that's a surefire way to make sure you don't go out for the rest of the game.

My answer to this one is that its human delay. The officials don't skate around with the whistle in their mouth just waiting to blow. For example, if there is a scramble in front of the net and the ref is behind looking over top and looses sight of the puck he could come to the decision to blow the whistle and the puck could cross as he was bringing the whistle up to his mouth to blow it. That is my understanding of that rule.

As for the crease rule you're allowed to be in the crease so long as you don't interfere with the goalie. The blocked puck assist I have no problem giving that guy an assist. Everything else I am right there with you.

I mean, I get the rule. I don't get why it exists. Usually the "intent to blow" is basically a quick whistle on a loose puck. Play whistle to whistle. Don't take away goals for this fictional whistle that didn't happen.

Goalie Interference:

Goalie interference is when an attacking player prevents the opposing goalie from a full range of movement to make a save attempt. This typically has to occur within the crease (blue paint). At any time, an attacking player needs to make an effort to not come into contact with the goalie, so even if the contact comes outside of the crease, it can be goalie interference. If an attacking player is physically pushed into the goalie in some way, then there is no interference on the play. If the interference is incidental (caused by the normal course of a hockey play) then the play gets whistled dead and the face off comes outside of the attacking zone. If a player comes into contact with the goalie without an attempt to avoid them and not through a normal hockey play (think an attacking player trying to screen the goalie who makes significant contact) a penalty for goaltender interference can be called. If an attacking player pushes a defending player into the goalie, this too can be considered goaltender interference. If a goal is scored after incidental or intentional contact, it is waved off, either during play or if it is missed when either a coach challenges the goal result, or within the final minute of regulation or any time in over time, a "booth review" is initiated. A reviewed play can not result in a penalty being called. If a goal is waved off during normal play for goalie interference, a coach's challenge (or the booth in the final minute or in OT) can review the play and determine there was no goaltender interference. In that case, the goal will stand.

Intent to blow the whistle:

The blowing of the whistle signals the stoppage of play, however, it's the intent to stop play that matters. This is rarely an issue because the difference in time is slight, however, there are some times when it's important. If the ref loses sight of the puck around the goalie, they stop play. However, it's their intention rather than the actual whistle that stops the play. So for instance, if a ref loses sight of the puck, he blows the whistle but before he does that, an attacking player whacks at the goalie pushing the puck in the net, then the play was already dead even though the whistle hadn't yet blown. Video review can show this, as the ref knows when he intended to stop play. It's more evident on delayed penalties. Most of the time when we wonder why the ref stopped play while our team was fouled and still had possession of the puck, it's because they noticed an infraction and it took them a moment to process the situation, but after the infraction or as a result of it, the infracting team controlled the puck first so the play should have been dead prior to the whistle being blown.

Goal review:

Some situations get reviewed automatically, others require a coaches challenge. So lets take the goal the Rangers scored the other night where Anderson's glove was fully in the net when he made the catch. On ice this was called no goal, video review showed the puck had fully crossed the line, so they called down and said it was a good goal. But what if there had been an off sides prior to all of this? That requires a coaches challenge by the defending team. Boucher wouldn't use that challenge until he knew for sure the puck was ruled to cross the line. There are a number of simultaneous situations like this that work both for and against a goal being scored.

Crease:

You can stand in the crease as long as you don't impede the ability of the goalie to make the save. When the puck is lose in the crease, an attacking player has the right to be there. As long as they don't intentionally interfere with the goalie, any incidental contact should be allowed.

Blocked shot:

I agree here, an assist should be the result of possession and intent. Blocking a shot is incidental to me.

Chip in puck:

I believe they experimented with this but rejected it. I'm not sure if it threw off the weight of the puck or if they had some problem with freezing the chipped pucks, but it got rejected.

Sorry but I was half joking/half complaining about the rules. Thanks for the response. The ones I mentioned are just idiotic to me.

Do they use that order to get more ice time for players who can handle it effectively or for more well rounded players who can attack and defend? Both?

It depends on how hung up a coach is about match ups. The higher the level, the more coaches try to match up. In a tier 1 Midget AAA game, you just keep throwing out your best guys in certain game situations. Fuck what the other team is putting out there. Here's our best ... beat us.

If a coach wants to switch shit up or skip a guy for a shift or 2, you just shout it out ...

"Dave, sit the fuck down. Phil, take Dave's spot."

Always fun explaining to parents that they chose to put their kid in Rep/Travel hockey and if all they're interested in is equitable icetime then Houseleague plays every Saturday morning @10 am and the coach is a super guy.

Parents are the worst part for sure, that's why I'm always found down at the lonely end of the rink.

The funniest thing about parents is that most will nod and agree how bad parents are, post the clich? memes on social media that address that fact, and then act like fucking morons 30 minutes later when they don't see Timmy on the power play.

Parents are the worst part for sure, that's why I'm always found down at the lonely end of the rink.

The funniest thing about parents is that most will nod and agree how bad parents are, post the clich? memes on social media that address that fact, and then act like fucking morons 30 minutes later when they don't see Timmy on the power play.

We have it written in our parent rules that we have the right to suspend any parent from the rink for any inappropriate behavior. That includes badgering the staff about playing time. Truthfully though, we have a good group, and it calms down a little more at tier 1 midgets than it does in the mite, squirt, and pw years. I guess people start to realize it a bit more that their kid shouldn't be out every other.

With regard to playing goal: t-pushes. I had zero lateral movement for like my first 10 years of playing. If I didn't play the angle right, or they passed the puck, unless my shamefully dramatic dive across the crease worked, well, game over.

General hockey knowledge: called it "offsideS" for forever. Also I still have no fucking clue what the penalty "clipping" is for.

With regard to playing goal: t-pushes. I had zero lateral movement for like my first 10 years of playing. If I didn't play the angle right, or they passed the puck, unless my shamefully dramatic dive across the crease worked, well, game over.

General hockey knowledge: called it "offsideS" for forever. Also I still have no fucking clue what the penalty "clipping" is for.

10 years ??? Sorry to lol, but lol. I have some pretty good videos of my kid making the exact lateral saves that you say you struggled with, but I don't think I can post them.

I still call it offsideS. Lol

Clipping is hitting a players from the knees down.

It depends on how hung up a coach is about match ups. The higher the level, the more coaches try to match up. In a tier 1 Midget AAA game, you just keep throwing out your best guys in certain game situations. Fuck what the other team is putting out there. Here's our best ... beat us.

If a coach wants to switch shit up or skip a guy for a shift or 2, you just shout it out ...

"Dave, sit the fuck down. Phil, take Dave's spot."

Fucking AV.

10 years ??? Sorry to lol, but lol. I have some pretty good videos of my kid making the exact lateral saves that you say you struggled with, but I don't think I can post them.

I still call it offsideS. Lol

Clipping is hitting a players from the knees down.

10 years is a bit of an exaggeration for story-telling purposes, but it was definitely years it took to do it. I played standup for forever too because I couldn't do power slides. I wore my pads tight, and I had trouble fighting out how they're supposed to rotate to be on the side for butterfly moves. Now I wear them super loose.

When I was kid I always wondered why players would hold the puck behind the net doing nothing.

NHL - waiting for a line change.

Men's League - waiting for your forwards to actually skate to an open area.

heres something I still dont know...how come teams that ice the puck with an empty net can put their goalie back in? Isnt the rule everyone on the ice for an icing must stay out?

Awesome point.

Rule 81.4

A team that is in violation of this rule shall not be permitted to make any player substitutions prior to the ensuing face-off. Should the offending team elect to utilize their team time-out at this stoppage of play, they are still not permitted to make any player substitutions. However, a team shall be permitted to make a player substitution to replace a goalkeeper who had been substituted for an extra attacker

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

Archived