• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Partially Covering Exposed Heating Pipes

Phil

I figure there are enough homeowners (and renters) here that might have an idea or two. The gist is, we have two partially exposed heating pipes and one fully exposed in our apartment. The fully exposed we've already half-wrapped with manila fiber twine (bottom half) so my son doesn't burn his hand. The problem is the other two partially exposed ones, as they're slightly recessed into the wall so you can't get something like twine around the entire pipe.

The only other idea I've seen is to use pipe insulation, like this, but cut down the middle so it can wrap over the exposed part of the pipe. My only concern here is I have no idea exactly how hot the pipes get, and I wouldn't want to buy any insulation that could potentilaly be rated under that temperature. Dealing with melted foam insulation isn't exaclty ideal.

What do you guys think? Let me know if this doens't make sense ? I can snap a few photos of the partially exposed ones so you have a better idea of what I mean.

If you're looking for burn protection, go with fiberglass insulation. While the foam insulation will not melt, I'm not sure it will be good for protection from your son burning himself.

LGR

Yeah, looking for burn protection, so he doesn't just grab it and burn his hands.

Like this kind of thing? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-2-in-x-3-ft-Fiberglass-Plumbing-Tubular-Pipe-Insulation/3130745

Any insulation will protect from burns. It keeps the heat in. Not out. I'd go with either or with a 3/4" wall/barrier..

Foam usually comes in black. You probably don't want that, as it's not very paint-able and ugly, annnd the glue usually separates if it gets touched a lot or gets dusty. Buuuut it's a bit stronger than fiberglass insulation which can rip and tear a bit easier.

Maybe build a soffit around it. It's not like they NEED to be exposed.

• 2 weeks later...
Any insulation will protect from burns. It keeps the heat in. Not out. I'd go with either or with a 3/4" wall/barrier..

Foam usually comes in black. You probably don't want that, as it's not very paint-able and ugly, annnd the glue usually separates if it gets touched a lot or gets dusty. Buuuut it's a bit stronger than fiberglass insulation which can rip and tear a bit easier.

Maybe build a soffit around it. It's not like they NEED to be exposed.

Don't think his landlord would just let him install a soffit. Although he'd be doing them a favor lol. I can't believe they left pipes exposed like that. Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived