• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Apple Unveils the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

Niko

I figured with all the tech guys on this board, there'd be a discussion about it.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeednews/apple-iphone7-event?utm_term=.vsg1WepKA#.unOaQk1O7

Seems that most frequent comment I've read has been some sort of anger at the the fact that apple is making headphones wireless and eliminating the headphone jack. There will be a converter cable shipped with it if you absolutely must use wired headphones, but the phone isn't designed that way.

Despite that, it seems pretty cool. Most notably, the water resistance and two additional hours of battery life juxtaposed to the iPhone 6.

I figured with all the tech guys on this board, there'd be a discussion about it.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeednews/apple-iphone7-event?utm_term=.vsg1WepKA#.unOaQk1O7

Seems that most frequent comment I've read has been some sort of anger at the the fact that apple is making headphones wireless and eliminating the headphone jack. There will be a converter cable shipped with it if you absolutely must use wired headphones, but the phone isn't designed that way.

Despite that, it seems pretty cool. Most notably, the water resistance and two additional hours of battery life juxtaposed to the iPhone 6.

Not a big fan of adapters if that's what it is. Not sure Apple's customer base with Beats headphones will be too thrilled with all the hype about no headphone jack -- I'd imagine it will turn off some potential buyers. Being out on the cutting edge can have a cost associated with it. I guess we'll see in time if it hurts sales or not.

Really strange decision to get rid of the headphone jack and dramatically narrow down the list of compatible products :/ Overall I'm really unimpressed with the tiny incremental improvement Apple has made with this phone. But I'm sure the Apple fans will be lining up at the stores to get their hands on phone. Personally I'm not tempted at all to give up my 6+ for this.

Well they get to sell (yet another) adapter.

Apple again showing little innovation. Samsung will surpass them in a few years, if they haven't already.

This. Having a MacBook, iPad, iPod and iPhone I'm a bought and sold Apple man. The synchronicity between devices is an unbelievable luxury. But I'm starting to have my frustrations with the iPhone. The other things are fine, but I'm thinking I'm going back to the world of Android/Google devices when I'm due for an upgrade. I'm way too envious of my friends with Galaxy phones. The camera, the battery, the freedom, etc.

It'll suck not to be able to automatically back everything up to my MacBook using bluetooth any time I'm in range of the computer, and it'll suck not being able to text from my laptop without using data, but I'm starting to earnestly believe that the loss of those things is worth the switch to Samsung. I have to jailbreak my phone just to get the customization freedom I want out of it, and jailbreaks are inherently risky and void the warranty if you're caught.

This. Having a MacBook, iPad, iPod and iPhone I'm a bought and sold Apple man. The synchronicity between devices is an unbelievable luxury. But I'm starting to have my frustrations with the iPhone. The other things are fine, but I'm thinking I'm going back to the world of Android/Google devices when I'm due for an upgrade. I'm way too envious of my friends with Galaxy phones. The camera, the battery, the freedom, etc.

It'll suck not to be able to automatically back everything up to my MacBook using bluetooth any time I'm in range of the computer, and it'll suck not being able to text from my laptop without using data, but I'm starting to earnestly believe that the loss of those things is worth the switch to Samsung. I have to jailbreak my phone just to get the customization freedom I want out of it, and jailbreaks are inherently risky and void the warranty if you're caught.

You can text from your laptop with PushBullet. It's a chrome extension.

Well they get to sell (yet another) adapter.

Apple again showing little innovation. Samsung will surpass them in a few years, if they haven't already.

I don't know, Samsung phones in general have a lot of issues. I mean they just recalled all of their Samsung Galaxy 7 phones because the battery is getting too hot and catching fire. I had the Galaxy S5 and had nothing but problems, and everyone I talked to that had that phone all had the issues I was having.nthe phone would get really hot, the battery would drain like there was no tomorrow, it would tell you your memory was full and you would have to reset the phone. People I know who have the 6 and 7 also complained that they have those issues as well. A guy I work with is obsessed with all of the cell phones and researches every phone because he is so buggy, and he said that Samsung is just an inferior product.

That said, I don't like this new iPhone. Getting rid of the headphone jack is the dumbest thing because now you are force to spend money on headphones that you shouldn't have to. I hate apples ear buds.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/david-pogue-says-kill-iphone-headphone-jack-201212228.html

Apple’s not even first. Moto led the revolution in the US with its gorgeous new Moto Droid Z phones—which have no headphone jacks. In China, LeEco and other companies are already omitting the jack. Other brands worldwide will be following suit.

The 3.5-millimeter jack is the oldest technology that’s still in your phone. This connector debuted with the transistor radio in the early 1960s

“The device makers would love to get rid of that jack. It makes your phone thicker than it has to be,” Brad Saunders told me last fal

He points out that the 3.5-millimeter jack, by today’s standards, is huge on the inside. The cylinder that accommodates your headphone jack is now among the bulkiest components of your phone!

The headphone jack is what’s preventing phone batteries from getting bigger. You do care about battery life, right?

Your music is digital. All of it: The songs you buy, the songs you stream.

Alas, the 3.5-millimeter jack is analog.

Your phone contains a cheap consumer digital-to-analog converter, whose job it is to convert the signal output from your digital music files to your ancient analog headphone jack. So no matter how much sound quality is locked away in those files, by the time it reaches your headphones, you’ve lost some audio quality along the way.

In the post-headphone jack era, your music will remain digital until it reaches the headphones, which can have a much nicer converter. You’ll skip over that analog conversion business—and get better-sounding audio.

I don't know, Samsung phones in general have a lot of issues. I mean they just recalled all of their Samsung Galaxy 7 phones because the battery is getting too hot and catching fire. I had the Galaxy S5 and had nothing but problems, and everyone I talked to that had that phone all had the issues I was having.nthe phone would get really hot, the battery would drain like there was no tomorrow, it would tell you your memory was full and you would have to reset the phone. People I know who have the 6 and 7 also complained that they have those issues as well. A guy I work with is obsessed with all of the cell phones and researches every phone because he is so buggy, and he said that Samsung is just an inferior product.

That said, I don't like this new iPhone. Getting rid of the headphone jack is the dumbest thing because now you are force to spend money on headphones that you shouldn't have to. I hate apples ear buds.

Or you can just plug in the adapter that is coming with the iphone so you can use your current headphones.

Wonder how much Apple paid for that review.

Aside from that, I'm not a phone expert, but I find it hard to believe that the phone would get thinner without the jack, or Apple would have actually made it thinner already. And they haven't. Because the battery would last 4 hours.

Or you can just plug in the adapter that is coming with the iphone so you can use your current headphones.

And when you lose it... Like the mag safe adapters everyone had to by to charge their MacBooks... And like the $169 air buds...it's a scam.

And what happens if you forget it or lose it? Also, what happens when you lose one of the wireless earbud? Now you have to spend a ton of money on a new pair. Also, now you have to worry about your headphones dying on you, so your going to have to carry the charger for you phone, the charger for your ear buds and now the adapter. Thats convenient.

Wonder how much Apple paid for that review.

Aside from that, I'm not a phone expert, but I find it hard to believe that the phone would get thinner without the jack, or Apple would have actually made it thinner already. And they haven't. Because the battery would last 4 hours.

And when you lose it... Like the mag safe adapters everyone had to by to charge their MacBooks... And like the $169 air buds...it's a scam.

That damn charger costs over $100 to replace. My old one broke, and when I looked up to see how much it would cost to replace, I couldn't believe how expensive it was going to cost.

The one thing I do love about my iPhone is that I can use a generic charger to charge it, and it charges at the same pace. When I had my Samsung, and I have a Google phone at work, if you don't use the original charger or the one they make and sell, it won't charge and tells you it needs the original charger, or it charges very slow.

Really strange decision to get rid of the headphone jack and dramatically narrow down the list of compatible products :/ Overall I'm really unimpressed with the tiny incremental improvement Apple has made with this phone. But I'm sure the Apple fans will be lining up at the stores to get their hands on phone. Personally I'm not tempted at all to give up my 6+ for this.

Why is it strange?

Apple doesn't want compatibility. They want to sell more overpriced shit.

I don't get the lack of headphone jack. At all.

It is currently the largest component inside of an iPhone. Getting rid of it allows them

To make a better and larger battery. Also most media is digital while headphone jacks are analog. It is my understanding that this results in a loss of quality when it is converted inside the iPhone. Most other companies, including Samsung are doing the same thing going forward btw. Apple and others are hoping with Bluetooth 5.0 on the horizon that the need for wires is gone.

It is currently the largest component inside of an iPhone. Getting rid of it allows them

To make a better and larger battery. Also most media is digital while headphone jacks are analog. It is my understanding that this results in a loss of quality when it is converted inside the iPhone. Most other companies, including Samsung are doing the same thing going forward btw. Apple and others are hoping with Bluetooth 5.0 on the horizon that the need for wires is gone.

I want wires because I am less likely to lose my headphones.

Yet when I use the analog input in my car it sounds louder and fuller in my car, and with most any device.. Getting rid of the analog output on the phones is going to alienate a hell of a lot of people, with ease of use in their cars and home theater. Like Pete said, it's going to force people to buy a special adapter for multiple devices. Change is good. But give people the option.

I use my phone as an mp3 player. I have a 128 gb SD card 60℅ full of my music library on my phone. Works great. Better than any iPod I've owned. When phone companies start doing away with updatable memory, upgradable or changeable batteries, and now headphone jacks, they are trying to make you a slave to the device, and likely the carrier, because not many get a new phone without the deals for your upgrade anniversary.. You buy their piece of shit and you're stuck with it as it underperforms and breaks.

Archived