• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [LW] Ryan Gropp 2nd Rd (41st) Pick

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice... doing exactly what we drafted him for... which is scoring goals.

Is he playing on Barzal's line? That could potentially be inflating his numbers

Some players on this Rangers team from time to time make me appreciate those who can actually "finish" ... regardless of who sets them up. Just saying' :)

I see way too many perfect passes shot wide of the net, flubbed, duffed or shot into the goaltender's midsection and pads...or worse still, teed up and telegraphed...with all the time in the world to save.

So when guy can actually net the puck, I take notice and some solace.

• 8 months later...

For anyone wondering, Gropp got sent back to Seattle of the WHL about three weeks ago. According to the article, there wasn't space on the AHL roster and they didn't want to bury him in the ECHL. Pretty surprising to me since Tanner Glass is a top-6 forward in Hartford, but there will be more opportunities next season and Gropp could still use some time to fill out his frame.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/198698/ryan-gropp-unexpectedly-returned-to-thunderbirds/

For anyone wondering, Gropp got sent back to Seattle of the WHL about three weeks ago. According to the article, there wasn't space on the AHL roster and they didn't want to bury him in the ECHL. Pretty surprising to me since Tanner Glass is a top-6 forward in Hartford, but there will be more opportunities next season and Gropp could still use some time to fill out his frame.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/198698/ryan-gropp-unexpectedly-returned-to-thunderbirds/

This is kind of a bummer.

• 3 months later...

Another small update

Gropp still in Seattle

GP G A P PIM +/-

43 13 28 41 14 9

Ryan Gropp notched a pair of goals and added an assist in Seattle's 5-1 win over Tri-City on Sunday afternoon in the Western Hockey League. The 2015 second round pick followed that performance up with an assist Tuesday night in the Thunderbirds' 4-3 overtime win over Kamloops.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-prospect-report-gropp-ronning-huska-shesterkin/c-286333062

Is he playing on Barzal's line? That could potentially be inflating his numbers

Yea, I don't mind that. If he can finish, he can finish. We have plenty of guys that can get him the puck. He just needs to shoot.

It appears as though he's grown an inch and added about 20 lbs. Now listed at 6'3" 205.

This is kind of a bummer.

Maybe that's how he felt at the beginning of the year, he's still just a kid after all. He's turning it on though. 26 points in 16 games in 2017 and riding a 10 game point streak (8 G 12 A).

Maybe that's how he felt at the beginning of the year, he's still just a kid after all. He's turning it on though. 26 points in 16 games in 2017 and riding a 10 game point streak (8 G 12 A).

Yea, saw that he has been on a heater. I think he and Barzal combined for 7A the other night lol

Was just gonna say the same thing. If the Rangers have doubts, and as I've read, they do, then this is only a good thing for them. It dramatically improves his value on the trade market.

Where'd you read that?

No way a streak like the one Gropp is on could make him a passenger. He's got six straight multi-point games and has 31 points in his last 14. I don't care if he's playing with Wayne Gretzky - you don't do that and be a passenger.

Small sample, but Gropp's 3 points last night weren't because of Barzal - though he finished the 2 on 1 feed.

http://www.sendtonews.com/latest-videos.html#!highlight/story/StTM0HMX3V

For reference Gropp this season has 14 points in 20 games without Barzal and 47 points in 31 games with him. Props to Gropp for producing, but Barzal being in the lineup helps him tremendously. Barzal creates space because he's the focus.

I mean yea, every player is good when they play with better players. That's especially true for goal scorers when they get paired with a playmaker.

Gropp has 24 goals, though. It's not like he's lighting the world on fire. He's on pace to score even fewer goals that last season.

The Chris Kunitz/Pascal Dupuis effect doesn't benefit players in junior leagues. Benefiting from a superior player often doesn't translate if you can't already create much on your own. Look at players like Evgeny Grachev.

Gropp has 24 goals, though. It's not like he's lighting the world on fire. He's on pace to score even fewer goals that last season.

The Chris Kunitz/Pascal Dupuis effect doesn't benefit players in junior leagues. Benefiting from a superior player often doesn't translate if you can't already create much on your own. Look at players like Evgeny Grachev.

Yea but he's pacing more assists and points, which could just as easily mean that he's developing a more balanced game than he has in the past. Konowalchuk mentioned that he's focused a lot more on being a complete player rather than just being a goal scorer this year. And the decline in goals is pretty minimal anyways. Over an 82-game season we're talking about 42 vs 38 goals.

Barzal was also on the same team last year, though I can't say whether or not they ever played on a line together. It's not as if Seattle just traded for him and all of a sudden Gropp improved.

Barzal and Gropp have often played together. I don't really see this as a strong reflection of his game improving. He's an overage player. He should be producing at this level. You also often see references to players "improving other aspects of their game" when their production strays. Most of the time I don't buy it.

The decline in goals is minimal, but that's not the point. As a goal scorer at that level, he should be working to outproduce his season prior. For a guy who is a "goalscorer", he's not putting up enough goals. I know Barzal has been around, but this season he's been around less so because of the cup of coffee he got at the start of the season and then the WJC.

Barzal and Gropp have often played together. I don't really see this as a strong reflection of his game improving. He's an overage player. He should be producing at this level. You also often see references to players "improving other aspects of their game" when their production strays. Most of the time I don't buy it.

The decline in goals is minimal, but that's not the point. As a goal scorer at that level, he should be working to outproduce his season prior. For a guy who is a "goalscorer", he's not putting up enough goals. I know Barzal has been around, but this season he's been around less so because of the cup of coffee he got at the start of the season and then the WJC.

I don't either, and I"m not even saying that Gropp is some great prospect or anything.

But the point is, you don't go on a run like he's on as a "passenger." He's just as much a catalyst to that team right now as anyone.

Archived