• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Need Help with Baby Strollers

Phil

I mean, it's a lot of money, but you use the thing for like 5 years, no? $100/year? that's nothing. The Forum costs more.

This isn't us paying for it. It's an issue over up-front-cost versus aggregate cost. My in-laws don't have a lot of money but want to buy a "big item" and my M-I-L says she wants to get the stroller. We said OK, but we're trying not to go to them and say "OK, well we want this $500 thing. Thanks!"

I covered that in the OP... which you obviously didn't read! :rofl:

We went with one of those Graco quick connect jogging strollers because I walk the dog every day and our sidewalks here are gnarly. A normal stroller wouldn't handle it too well, I wouldn't think. I've never had any issue with stability although the tires need to be inflated periodically. I even hook the husky up to the handle and she's a puller who chases stuff. Never had any issues. It's nice in that while the baby is young, it can bucket them towards you with the car seat in it, then when they get a little older, they go front facing. We also picked up a cheap umbrella stroller once she got old enough, which helps a lot with travel, going to the mall or the boardwalk where you don't need the big tires. They're really cheap and super light weight when that's an issue.

We did the Consumer Report thing and went the Graco route, we like their products. We ended up with a sturdier one that we just parked by the door, for when we wanted to take walks around the neighborhood - with the bells and whistles like cupholders, storage underneath, etc - and for that use weight didn't matter much. Then we had a lightweight number for bringing with us in the car - easily to fold and lightweight - and you will notice the weight and how easy it is to compact if you're using it a lot. My wife did get a jogging stroller, which was good for her piece of mind when she needed to get out of the house.

Main use will really help decide what model makes the most sense.

Main use would be every-day use. Taking the baby for walks around the neighborhood, with us on Sunday strolls (it's our only day off together, so we do lots of stuff on Sundays — brunch, shopping, etc.). Also to go to doctors or other such things. So it'd be on subways, the LIRR, etc.

This isn't us paying for it. It's an issue over up-front-cost versus aggregate cost. My in-laws don't have a lot of money but want to buy a "big item" and my M-I-L says she wants to get the stroller. We said OK, but we're trying not to go to them and say "OK, well we want this $500 thing. Thanks!"

I covered that in the OP... which you obviously didn't read! :rofl:

Because you talk/write too much. I glean.

Anyway, have them buy something else, or just the carrier, then. Strollers are like skates. Don't skimp, or you'll just regret it.

Main use would be every-day use. Taking the baby for walks around the neighborhood, with us on Sunday strolls (it's our only day off together, so we do lots of stuff on Sundays — brunch, shopping, etc.). Also to go to doctors or other such things. So it'd be on subways, the LIRR, etc.

Did* :rofl:

I did it both ways with the two kids. Kid number 1 got a mondo expensive System, baskets, cup holders, we drive so we had the base in the car etc. etc... but when I was pushing this Cadillac of strollers up a hill in the park on a summer day, loaded with a full basket, extra juice cups, blankets (in summer) etc., I couldn't help notice those with a couple of kids who were sweating way less than me with little thin frame strollers that weighed barely anything whipping up the hill past me. The problem is when you have more room, you tend to load yourself down with crapola you don't really need. Every first time parent does this. And by the way, it broke. Irreparably.

Trips back to Europe also helped with our change of heart. I didn't take the system stroller with me when I went to the UK with my first, my Mum had a little cheapy stroller waiting for me at the airport when I got there. The wife did the same when she went to Finland.

So when kid #2 came along, for the first months (18 maybe) we bought a cheap Graco, I think for less than $100 on a Walmart rollback, then we literally bought the tiny thin frame $29 strollers. Anything else went in a back pack as if the kid weren't there.

So whats the conclusion. There isn't one. Go to the store. Pick one where the handles are the right height (your back will thank you), that your feet doesn't hit as you walk, and that folds easily and carries easily. Just get what makes you feel comfortable. I think you're crazy to pay anymore than the 350-400 but people with Bug-A-Boos would entirely disagree with me.

Because you talk/write too much. I glean.

Anyway, have them buy something else, or just the carrier, then. Strollers are like skates. Don't skimp, or you'll just regret it.

I was thinking of maybe having them get the actual stroller itself and then we'd buy whatever else for it, carrier included. If we went with the Baby Jogger line.

Did* :rofl:

Nah, we'll still do. Just with a stroller now. :)

At the very least brunch at our local diner and maybe a walk in the park.

I did it both ways with the two kids. Kid number 1 got a mondo expensive System, baskets, cup holders, we drive so we had the base in the car etc. etc... but when I was pushing this Cadillac of strollers up a hill in the park on a summer day, loaded with a full basket, extra juice cups, blankets (in summer) etc., I couldn't help notice those with a couple of kids who were sweating way less than me with little thin frame strollers that weighed barely anything whipping up the hill past me. The problem is when you have more room, you tend to load yourself down with crapola you don't really need. Every first time parent does this. And by the way, it broke. Irreparably.

Trips back to Europe also helped with our change of heart. I didn't take the system stroller with me when I went to the UK with my first, my Mum had a little cheapy stroller waiting for me at the airport when I got there. The wife did the same when she went to Finland.

So when kid #2 came along, for the first months (18 maybe) we bought a cheap Graco, I think for less than $100 on a Walmart rollback, then we literally bought the tiny thin frame $29 strollers. Anything else went in a back pack as if the kid weren't there.

So whats the conclusion. There isn't one. Go to the store. Pick one where the handles are the right height (your back will thank you), that your feet doesn't hit as you walk, and that folds easily and carries easily. Just get what makes you feel comfortable. I think you're crazy to pay anymore than the 350-400 but people with Bug-A-Boos would entirely disagree with me.

This much I agree with. Even though it's not us buying it, I just can't fathom why anyone would willingly want to spend that much more.

I view it like this — strollers are like cars. Do I need a Bentley when a Kia can be had for like ten times less and offer the same safety and general use?

This much I agree with. Even though it's not us buying it, I just can't fathom why anyone would willingly want to spend that much more.

I view it like this — strollers are like cars. Do I need a Bentley when a Kia can be had for like ten times less and offer the same safety and general use?

Well, that's where the disconnect is. There's a big difference in safety between $100 and $400.

Also, with the second kid, there's less to consider...Like expandability. We weren't going to get this stroller. But then, when you think about having to buy another stroller if you have another kid, or a double stroller if you have another quickly, you could have just spent a little more and bought an expandable.

And strollers in good condition can be sold. That's the other thing I regret...Not buying some of this shit on EBay or Craigslist.

So you're saying look into second-hand stuff?

My cousin offered us her old stroller. It's an older Graco model, but the problem is it's only the one for the Carrier. It would require us having to get the regular front-facing one later on our own.

My cousin offered us her old stroller. It's an older Graco model, but the problem is it's only the one for the Carrier. It would require us having to get the regular front-facing one later on our own.

If I was you, I'd jump at it. Make sure the breaks are good, the wheels aren't sticky and pivot right (very important). We passed along EVERYTHING. There again, Pete has a point, expandability etc. if you're thinking that way, although our first super system broke and was not fixable. You can get a nice lighter weight front facing stroller for a lot less in a little while. Weight is everything.

Still an cheaper option.

two used strollers in Oyster Bay at a consignment shop called the Spotted Owl... very discerning... a McLaren XLT which is a next step stroller and a good one for $89 and a mondo expandable super stroller called an uppababy Vista... $699... yep

I took pics if you want me to email them

We have used Graco for both of my kids, and they are great. The only thing that sucks is that if you need an extra base for the car, you need to find someone with the same type of stroller because each one they make is different. We couldn't use the Graco base from my first son with my second son because the seat was a different design. We love it because it folds up nice and thin, and doesn't take up too much room in the car. The one pain in the ass is that they can be a pain in the ass to put together. We also have a Jeep stroller that we use if we go to the beach or are on a trail walking, regular stroller wheels suck when your off concrete.

Archived