• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

American Horror Story: Hotel

Dave

As someone who loved seasons 1&2, was lukewarm on 3, and hated 4 - is it worth coming back for Hotel?

To me, and this is just so far, I'd rate them as 1, 2, 5, 3, 4. Hotel is a step back in the right direction, but there are some issues with it. Lady Gaga's acting, as has been mentioned, is pretty horrific. If you're not at least OK with gore, it's probably not appealing. That said, this one captures back the more organic mystery element that 1 and 2 did so well. I'd say, give it a shot. Don't judge it by episode 1. If you feel by episode 2 that it's getting better, then give 3 a watch. That's where I'm at. I'm not completely sold, but my take on the series so far is identical to yours.

I felt 3 and especially 4 manufactured and then handed the mystery elements to me and I knew I was getting spoon fed. 1 and 2, felt more like...I was discovering things alongside the characters, not a puppet of the writers and directors. If that makes sense.

I'm going to post this in spoilers, even though the episode 3 aired:

My wife brought this up while watching. How in the hell did the deadly sins serial killer do what he did in the tabloid offense scene? A couple still at their desks, but having their tongues nailed down as if each just sat there waiting to be tortured and killed while others were clearly killed close to their desks. Only thoughts are that it's a pretty big team that could do that. Or each was taken somewhere else, incapacitated and then staged. That wasn't the sense you got from the quick flash backs though.

I'm going to post this in spoilers, even though the episode 3 aired:

My wife brought this up while watching. How in the hell did the deadly sins serial killer do what he did in the tabloid offense scene? A couple still at their desks, but having their tongues nailed down as if each just sat there waiting to be tortured and killed while others were clearly killed close to their desks. Only thoughts are that it's a pretty big team that could do that. Or each was taken somewhere else, incapacitated and then staged. That wasn't the sense you got from the quick flash backs though.

Perhaps a mass poisoning? I just watched Transcendence again recently and there's a scene in it where the Unplug terrorist group poison a cake that gets sent to an office, killing like 90% of the workers there who ate it.

Something like that to incapacitate them enough that they'd be awake to suffer but not capable of running away?

To me, and this is just so far, I'd rate them as 1, 2, 5, 3, 4. Hotel is a step back in the right direction, but there are some issues with it. Lady Gaga's acting, as has been mentioned, is pretty horrific. If you're not at least OK with gore, it's probably not appealing. That said, this one captures back the more organic mystery element that 1 and 2 did so well. I'd say, give it a shot. Don't judge it by episode 1. If you feel by episode 2 that it's getting better, then give 3 a watch. That's where I'm at. I'm not completely sold, but my take on the series so far is identical to yours.

I felt 3 and especially 4 manufactured and then handed the mystery elements to me and I knew I was getting spoon fed. 1 and 2, felt more like...I was discovering things alongside the characters, not a puppet of the writers and directors. If that makes sense.

You're speaking my language. Thanks for that, I felt largely the same. I'll give Hotel a shot.

Perhaps a mass poisoning? I just watched Transcendence again recently and there's a scene in it where the Unplug terrorist group poison a cake that gets sent to an office, killing like 90% of the workers there who ate it.

Something like that to incapacitate them enough that they'd be awake to suffer but not capable of running away?

That was my guess. It was the only plausible explanation outside of this being a large group. The one woman that gets flashed back to briefly was obviously alive at the time of the...incident.

Gotta agree with this, nothing has come close to season 1, season 2 was good, Hotel, has been a big improvement from Coven and Freakshow. But, I don't know if that's saying much.

Gotta agree with this, nothing has come close to season 1, season 2 was good, Hotel, has been a big improvement from Coven and Freakshow. But, I don't know if that's saying much.

Coven felt like X-Men for people who don't like super heroes. Interesting concept, not sure how in line with "Horror" it was.

Coven felt like X-Men for people who don't like super heroes. Interesting concept, not sure how in line with "Horror" it was.

Conceptually, Coven and Freak Show were both fine for me. The issue I had with them both was the execution. I can enjoy a slow burn if I can get into the characters, but in both of those cases, too many of the characters were designed to be annoying. Waiting and waiting for something to happen with annoying characters is torture for me. I can wait with deep and well acted characters and I can tolerate annoying characters if they're quickly dismembered. 1 and 2 had the former and so far 5 has the later.

• 1 month later...

It feels like they've gone through a handful of writers, and probably show-runners to boot.

There's no consistency episode-to-episode, let alone in the overall story being told. What, exactly, is the main plot of this season? Is it the vampires? Is it the Ten Commandments killer? Is it Eddie the cop? Is it Mr. March?

Archived