• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Decline to Recline? GFY!

Pete

Better question...Why not just recline yourself? Or, why are people so entitled?

I think the arguments are more over people being inconsiderate than actually reclining.

One woman was upset about being hit in the head...If you're going to recline, peek behind you.

Another woman was upset because the guy behind her used the Knee Defender...he's just selfish and rude. Ask the person in front of you not to recline. You have no right to alter their seat.

Better question...Why not just recline yourself? Or, why are people so entitled?

I think the arguments are more over people being inconsiderate than actually reclining.

One woman was upset about being hit in the head...If you're going to recline, peek behind you.

Another woman was upset because the guy behind her used the Knee Defender...he's just selfish and rude. Ask the person in front of you not to recline. You have no right to alter their seat.

Why offer the ability to recline at all if it infringes on the personal space of other passengers?

Why offer the ability to recline at all if it infringes on the personal space of other passengers?

Because it doesn't. That isn't their space. It's the space of the person in the seat in front of them, who either chooses to occupy it or not. The moment reclining is not built into the seat, that space would become the space of the person behind them.

I realize for varying heights of people this can pose a problem, but this is why airlines respond to these types of scenarios by offering specific seats that offer more leg room for taller passengers who can't necessarily fit in a standard Economy row seat.

If I was a flight crew and a woman demanded she be allowed off the plane because someone reclined their seat, I'd offer her a parachute and a boot in the ass. The response is, "grow the fuck up, assholes".

Oh, and these folks should all be added to the no fly list. Air travel is a privilege.

I'm with you guys 95% but what about the rare scenario where when a 300+ lb person reclines, it forces the chair further than it's supposed to go?

What are you supposed to do when you can't move because of a morbidly obese person? I dunno. Granted it's never happened to me but I know of others where it has.

538 did a survey:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/airplane-etiquette-recline-seat/

http://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/hickey-datalab-flying.png?w=610&h=437

41% think that reclining your seat is either "very" or "somewhat" rude.

In addition, there are some other questionable things there. It's rude to wake someone up to go to the bathroom? What a joke.

It's also rude to ask someone to switch if you can be with your family? I mean, sure, I could see it if it was mid-flight and you were already settled in. But it generally is requested before anyone sits down or puts their luggage away.

Agreed, the bathroom and seat switching is a joke.

As for waking someone to go for a walk, I did that once when I was literally in the last row on the window in which I couldn't recline and the dude infront of me reclined. I felt so claustrophobic that I was about to scream. I woke up both guys next to me to walk. I remained at the back of the plane chatting with the stewardess for 4 hours until they started to descend for landing.

Archived