• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Spotlight Thread: Puck Head

High and Wide

We're resurrecting the spotlight threads from a few years ago. For those of you who remember how this works, have at it.

For those who don't:

- The way the thread works is that a user is chosen to have a 'Q&A' session with the users on the forum.

- You can ask pretty much anything as long as its in good taste and adheres to the forum rules.

- The spotlight user can answer as many or as few questions as he/she likes(The more the better).

- It's a great way to get to know the users on the forum you are unfamiliar with AND kill time in the summer.

- When the questions and answers run dry, the spotlight user chooses another user and starts a new thread for that user.

Since the other spotlight threads are from 2011, choose anyone. Its a good way to keep up with everyone.

So Puck Head...

1. Favorite Ranger of all-time

2. Best season you have witnessed as a fan

3. Worst season you have witnessed as a fan

4. If you could go anywhere in the world for two weeks, all expenses paid, where would you go?

Remember folks, keep the questions flowing. The user doesn't need to answer the posted questions in order to get new ones.

1. Favorite Ranger of all-time

Wayne Gretzky- He is the reason I became a Ranger fan. In 95-96 I was skating with the Gold Kings, and living with a teammate. We had practice in the morning, and the 3pm local start times, (your 7pm), was perfect to catch Ranger games. Up until that time I had followed Gretz in LA, then St. Louis. When my son was born his mother hung a picture of Jesus above his crib....I hung a picture of Gretzky right next to it. After he retired I just stuck with the team.

2. Best season you have witnessed as a fan

Easily this year. Back in 94 I was actually cheering for the Canucks, (had a teammate drafted by them in the late 80's).

This last season I was simply proud. Battling back against the Pens, Lundy playing at a all world level, "core" younger players such as McDonagh, Stepan, Kredier, Hagelin, etc producing.

Every game put a smile on my face, win or lose, and this last season won't be one I forget soon.

3. Worst season you have witnessed as a fan

I thought about some of the dark years the Rangers went though from Gretzky leaving and Lundy/Jagr arriving. But I must say the lockout years were the worst.

Many of us include this sport as part of our life, and having that taken away even for a brief while can be devastating.

4. If you could go anywhere in the world for two weeks, all expenses paid, where would you go?

I travel quite a bit, but typically it's for work. But between career, being a father, being a minor coach........I''d have to say any vacation that involves a beach, no cell service, no meetings........sounds like a dream.

Who are your favorite comedians/actors/actresses/writers/musicians?

Comedian- Eddie Izzard

Actor- John Cusack

Writers- Joe Abercrombie, Brian Rickley, Robert Jordan

Musicians- When son was young, I kept 6 CD's in truck at all times...

Beatles

Beastie Boys

NIN

Prince

Foo Fighters

AC/DC

What is your favorite book?

What is the next interesting thing you're going to do?

Jesus Kreidst or Christ Kreider?

Favorite book-

I'd have to say anything by Abercrombie right now.

What is the next interesting thing you're going to do

Have tryouts starting tonight, a few trips to California this month for work....nothing outside of that.

Jesus Kreidst or Christ Kreider

I make it up as I go...

:)

Who is your most hated player that ever played in the NHL?

And on the Rangers?

which Rangers prospect will surprise AND which will disappoint?

most hated player that ever played in the NHL

Petr Nedved at one time, later replaced by Dubinsky

And on the Rangers

Can't think of any player I currently do. If Stepan asks for 6 million he will shoot straight up though....

which Rangers prospect will surprise AND which will disappoint

Tough one, almost listed Mcilrath as disappoint, but I think most have lowered their expectations so much, he might be a delightful surprise.

Also still a fan of Cristoval Nieves, I think he starts to pull a Kredier next season at the NCAA level.

Favorite sport other than hockey? One player on another team that you would like on the Rangers? Current active Ranger you would like off the team and why?

Favorite sport other than hockey?

I grew up playing soccer in the off season, but now I'd have to say golf or downhill skiing

One player on another team that you would like on the Rangers

So many options to think about, but I'd have to start with a centerman.............I'm going to go with Nathan Mackinnon.

18 years old and 62 pts, he looks like a franchise centerman for years to come. Not at same level of Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Toews right now...but he's 8-10 years younger the those guys.

Current active Ranger you would like off the team and why

No issues with Girardi, and understand they were "all in" last season, and would have not been able to replace him in a trade for the playoff push...

But, he's one contract that may hinder us longer term, (perhaps by losing Staal).

What's your opinion on advanced statistics? Do most hockey minds in your circle agree with your opinion?

What's your opinion on advanced statistics?

I'm a fan of all statistics, they simply have to be utilized in the proper manner. At the end of the day, I still believe in "eyes" to give the best evaluation of a player.

Do most hockey minds in your circle agree with your opinion

I guess my circle would be minor/major coaches in northern Alaska.

So rather then being highly opinionated, I simply base decisions on the USA hockey model. If there is grey area, I direct towards a few elder statesman I respect to guidance.

I fault on the side of proper structure and player development, rather then wins/losses.......that's tough for young coaches.

Did you grow up in Alaska or how did you end up there? And if it isn't home, have you ever considered moving elsewhere?

Did you grow up in Alaska or how did you end up there?

I was born here in Alaska, father was military and came up in the 60's, (me soon after).

Spent summers living in California, (East LA), and winters in North Pole, (which was very remote at the time). I took a dogsled 2-3 miles to get to the nearest bus stop.

have you ever considered moving elsewhere

As an adult lived in Ft. Collins Colorado, Boise Idaho, and Lake Tahoe, but have been back in Alaska last 13 years.

As soon as son graduates, i'll look at a winter home in the north west, and summers here in Alaska.

Does R+L=J? (Short answer form, please)

How much are advanced stats factoring into your hockey opinions?

Does R+L=J?

I was under the assumption there would be no mathematics involved in this Q & A

And I think Martin is one bacon sandwhich from a coronary so it might not matter.

How much are advanced stats factoring into your hockey opinions?

I'm learning...so more then likely behind the scale. This would only apply to being a NHL fan...we are SO far away from anything like that at our level.

What made you become a hockey fan?

My father grew up playing baseball and football....had never watched a hockey game.

At age of 4 I had some doulble runners given to me by neighbor, and would run up and down the icy road with a stick in my hand.

Next year my father started taking me to outside rinks....and viola....hockey the year after.

If you were born in Westeros' date=' would you be a Bolton, Karstark, Manderly, Umber or Snow? Any plans to visit New York City soon? What's the most exotic/rare meat you've eaten?[/quote']

Snow for sure (I'm more comfortable as a bastard in cold weather

Next few trips this fall will be to west coast, trying to find excuse for work to send me to NY again soon

Exotic food...

Lots of various game, Moose, Caribou, Bear, etc. Typically have to eat raw whale when we do a PR visit to north slope villages

Archived