• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

BREAKING NEWS: Mike Francessa is a Jerk

Pete

It's so weird how WFAN works from my perspective, because their sister station down here is 100% caller driven. Hosts obviously have topics and agendas, but if the fan base that night wants to talk basketball or hockey and they're talking football, that's where it goes. Those words would never happen.

Not that hockey would be the main focus on a Friday, but it gets talked about, pretty much everything is part of the conversation and open for discussion. It's why I never understood the appeal of WFAN.

Chappie you're a little off on this. WFAN show content is pretty much caller driven. Granted Francessa tries to keep topic specific many times, especially now that he's without a partner and a little older and grumpier. But WFAN for the most part is always caller driven. If you call into Joe and Evan or most other shows you can call on pretty much any topic and it will get discussed. Granted some things get a little more play than others, but they get played.

ESPN NY Radio 98.7 on the other hand is much more formatted. The hosts always start a topic and if they have callers, which a little more rare, those callers are asked by the screener to just speak on that topic. For example, sometimes a host name Allan Hahn will have a segment in his show early in each basketball year where the topic is named "plant your flag", where the caller must state if they're a Nets or Knicks fan, and why. No other topics will get discussed in that particular segment.

Let me ask people this question and I will answer a solution for you:

My question; why would people out ther even want to call into a show where the host has no knowledge or has little interest in the topic you so desperately waited on the phone for a good chunk of your day to discuss? Wouldn't you rather talk with someone on the other side of the line who knows and cares about what you're talking about, and who might even be able to answer your questions??

So Mike Francessa doesn't know much about or care much about hockey. SO WHAT? It's his show. If Bruce from Bayside wants to talk about the Mets and the host does as well, then so be it!

My solution; If it matters to you that much to wait countless hours by a radio and a phone to talk about a topic with a pure stranger, stop being cheap, pick up a satellite radio and a plan, and you can call into one or two NHL only shows that discuss all day nothing but hockey and the NHL, and will sometimes even go deeper into the minors and other leagues if that tickles your fancy!

And as a side note, last time I checked Mike Francessa still gets good afternoon ratings even without hockey being discussed. In fact i would be interested to find out if they could track how many people tune the radio to another station when hockey is discussed, because I would be almost sure to bet that the number of those people tuning out would be dramatic and shockingly high.

Chappie you're a little off on this. WFAN show content is pretty much caller driven. Granted Francessa tries to keep topic specific many times, especially now that he's without a partner and a little older and grumpier. But WFAN for the most part is always caller driven. If you call into Joe and Evan or most other shows you can call on pretty much any topic and it will get discussed. Granted some things get a little more play than others, but they get played.

ESPN NY Radio 98.7 on the other hand is much more formatted. The hosts always start a topic and if they have callers, which a little more rare, those callers are asked by the screener to just speak on that topic. For example, sometimes a host name Allan Hahn will have a segment in his show early in each basketball year where the topic is named "plant your flag", where the caller must state if they're a Nets or Knicks fan, and why. No other topics will get discussed in that particular segment.

ESPN radio is the worst.

I haven't listened to FAN a lot since it was Mike and the Mad Dog and Imus was still on. The schmooze was always caller driven with his show and that was probably my favorite.

ESPN radio is the worst.

I haven't listened to FAN a lot since it was Mike and the Mad Dog and Imus was still on. The schmooze was always caller driven with his show and that was probably my favorite.

Schmoozer is one of the last of the good hosts on the station, and he's really been relegated to just late night fill in spots and such. Tony Paige on the overnight is always good too, will allow you to talk about whatever you want, lets you speak, and unlike a jerk like Francessa is not beligerent and mean to to his callers, he treats them with a little respect.

I was actually listening to that clip live. I don't like Francessa to be honest, but I actually agreed with him there that time. No one, and i mean no one tunes to WFAN to get their hockey fill so it makes no sense to me when someone calls up demanding hockey be talked about. Besides, what kind of tool sits on hold for x amount of minutes/hours just to ask if he can name the head coach? lol.

Archived