• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

AMC's 'Better Call Saul'

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
This show is way better than I thought it would be. For some reason, my expectation was that it would be a more light hearted show, with some hi jinx and a disconnected feel to Breaking Bad. Instead, it just seems like the prequel it is. Same tone, same black comedy, same depth of characters with charicactures in supporting rolls. It's a little early to know whether it will sustain the way Breaking Bad did, and it's not quite at that level because now it's been done before, but it's filled a void in my TV watching where Breaking Bad was for now.

• 1 year later...

Absolutely love BCS. This show is pulling me in different directions. I want them to pick up the pace on the story-telling, but I also absolutely love the slow and methodical pace Gilligan & co. has been taking for the 1 1/2 season of the shows existence.

Another great episode. Wow, Chuck must be the worlds greatest lawyer with the way Hamlin and the whole law firm bends over backwards to keep Chuck happy and getting him to work.

Loved all the lawyer jokes at the introduction. "What do lawyers and sperm have in common?....with both one out of 3 million have a chance to be a real human being." LOL LOL LOL....Couldn't tell if Saul/Jimmy was telling those jokes just to get under Chuck's skin, or he was flirting with his wife, or he was just trying to break the ice. We'll find out soon enough, but that's one of the things I love about the show

Nice to see Tio Salamanca back. No wheelchair or bell this time LOL.

One little easter egg:

The client Kim pulled in for the firm was Mesa Verda. That's the same bank/credit union Walter White banked in during season 1 of BB.

• 3 weeks later...

After watching my Blueshirts lose I decided to watch Better Call Saul. And it turned out to be one of the best episodes of the series!

In some ways This episode felt like a cautionary tale- be careful when family gets into business together. I know Chuck can be a jerk and be cold twards Jimmy, but geez what Jimmy did with the Mesa Verde paperwork was such a dirty, scumbag move. There relationship might be permanently damaged now. Any love they had for each other could be totally gone.

Either way I think a line has been drawn in the sand and war has been declared between the two. Kim clearly chose Jimmy side. I wonder who Howard will choose. I sensed a little animosity between him and Chuck this episode. I wonder what he's going to do once he finds out what Jimmy did.

I loved how Mike's story ran parallel to Jimmy's. Both guys actions had serious consequences. Nacho-like Kim with Jimmy- is caught in the middle of Mikes actions and is going to be affected by it. And he's probably going to have to pick sides. Hector Salamancha-like Chuck with Jimmy-is incensed by what happened. It makes him look weak, unprofessional, and it cost him a lot of money! As a result of Mike's action, an innocent bystander was killed. I wonder what innocent bystanders will get hurt because of Jimmy's actions.

Both Kim & Nacho have very valuable info that can hurt/help Jimmy & Mike. And hurt/help Tio & Chuck. And that can hurt/help themselves. Can't wait to see what they do. And what Howard does.

This show is so good. It's like a pot of gumbo being slowly cooked, but then once it's done they flavors just explode in your mouth.

Last episode was so emotionally gripping. Especially the last scene. I don't wanna give anything away for those who haven't seen it yet but I can only imagine the feelings Jimmy must have had while watching all of that unfold. Does he give himself up and go make sure "he's" ok? Does he stay where he is and just make the "phone call"? Does he do nothing and just watch?

Last episode was so emotionally gripping. Especially the last scene. I don't wanna give anything away for those who haven't seen it yet but I can only imagine the feelings Jimmy must have had while watching all of that unfold. Does he give himself up and go make sure "he's" ok? Does he stay where he is and just make the "phone call"? Does he do nothing and just watch?

I think if he was going to do something he would've done it immediately. Presumably he just watches it unfold and that starts the serious downward spiral in to "criminal law." To be perfectly honest though, and I'm probably a horrible person for thinking this, I kind of enjoyed that scene. I REALLY hate that character.

I think if he was going to do something he would've done it immediately. Presumably he just watches it unfold and that starts the serious downward spiral in to "criminal law." To be perfectly honest though, and I'm probably a horrible person for thinking this, I kind of enjoyed that scene. I REALLY hate that character.

I get that Chuck is a complete jerk is hateful/envious of Jimmy. But Jimmy is also a bit of a scumbag. And his whole handling of the Mesa Verde files prove that. He doesn't care which innocent bystanders get hurt, he wants to get back at Chuck by any means necessary. The one thing that Kim said that I disagree with is that "Chuck mad jimmy this way." I disagree. Jimmy was always a shyster.

I get that Chuck is a complete jerk is hateful/envious of Jimmy. But Jimmy is also a bit of a scumbag. And his whole handling of the Mesa Verde files prove that. He doesn't care which innocent bystanders get hurt, he wants to get back at Chuck by any means necessary. The one thing that Kim said that I disagree with is that "Chuck mad jimmy this way." I disagree. Jimmy was always a shyster.

Oh of course he was always a shyster. That's what that whole scene where he watches his father get duped in to giving money is about. And the guy tells him there are two types of people in the world: wolves and sheep. And at that moment the child Jimmy decides to be a wolf.

That said, the REAL decline in his regard of professional ethics came after his brother absolutely crushed him. After Chuck bailed him out of jail all those times, Jimmy FINALLY went on the straight and narrow. He clearly idolized his brother, took the job at HHM and pulled himself up by the bootstraps. He put himself through law school, as shitty of a law school education as it may have been, and passed the bar exam. And when the moment comes to reveal this to his brother and get the praise he was so desperately seeking, his brother's reaction is to blackball him behind his back. And when Jimmy catches him doing it, he says that Jimmy with a law degree is like a chimp with a machine gun.

That scene, to me, is where it all changes for the worst permanently. Chuck had two options: acknowledge that Jimmy's practices would naturally be ethically suspect given his background and take him under his wing and continue to teach him the right way of doing things, or refuse to accept the legitimacy of Jimmy's degree/license and make sure he doesn't get a job. He chose the latter, leaving his brother working/living out of a Korean nail salon and meeting clients in a diner, when Jimmy would've been happy to take a back office somewhere at HHM and continue climbing the ladder. It's a soul-crusher for sure. He chose the law to follow in his brother's footsteps and to abandon his criminal lifestyle. And what's the ultimate payoff? His brother tells him that he's a disgrace to the profession. That's why after that scene he asks Mike why they didn't just keep that bag full of cash.

Archived