• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Wedding Thread

twentyseven

Things that saved my ass:

Small wedding (100 people total)

Family friend as DJ (paid, but obviously with a discount)

Not sure what was my bigger ripoff:

-Florist

-Photographer

My wife went apeshit on the flowers and in the end they look nice, but are primarily a waste

Photographer, while "ok" got way more $ than the end product deserved

We paid $7G's for our photographer....She did an amazing job and was probably one of the better vendors that we were ok shelling out the $$$ for .

DJ also gave us a good deal, I booked him what was suppose to be my first wedding about 7 years prior, that relationship fell apart, we didnt get married. 7 years later I contacted him and gave me the same price that I was gonna pay the first time around. I think he's a well known party DJ in the brooklyn, staten island area.

We paid $7G's for our photographer....She did an amazing job and was probably one of the better vendors that we were ok shelling out the $$$ for .

DJ also gave us a good deal, I booked him what was suppose to be my first wedding about 7 years prior, that relationship fell apart, we didnt get married. 7 years later I contacted him and gave me the same price that I was gonna pay the first time around. I think he's a well known party DJ in the brooklyn, staten island area.

That's cool.

We didn't pay anywhere near that much (that could have been the problem) for our photographer. His shots we ok. We probably should have forked out more for that and less on flowers. Oh well. Luckily my father-in-law's brother was an avid photographer and took 100s of photos of the wedding. His were better than the guy we paid. Shortly after that time, he went into the photography business and still does it to this day. Go figure.

Who was the DJ.

We are actually saving a lot of money on flowers because for centerpieces we are going to use the floating candle, flower in a vase of water. Something similar to this:

http://www.greenbrideguide.com/sites/default/files/pink-flower-candle-wedding-centerpiece.jpg

That will save us a ton of money. It is also DIY so that is good too lol.

I need a place to vent about this nonsense!

I am getting married in exactly 1 year and I have to say this whole wedding business is driving me insane. It is disgusting at how much people charge you for this special day. I love my fiance and she means everything to me but putting down 5 figures for a fucking 6 hour is nauseating. I can think of so much more practical things to put that money towards than a 6 hour party. Like, oh I don't know... a down payment towards a HOUSE?

We can't even have an evening wedding because of the insane prices. We are getting married at Crest Hallow and found out that after tax and gratuity, an evening wedding costs 170 pp, while an afternoon wedding costs 78 pp. So we decided to go with the afternoon wedding. In July. I hate the summer. With my luck it will be today's temperature of 97 degrees.

Then there are the mother fucking vendors!!!! This asshole had the gall to ask me if I was interested in their $10,000 photography package. I don't know about you guys but on my teacher's salary there is no way in heck I can afford a 10k photography package.

I am also paying this out of my own pocket because I don't want to hassle my parents and it means a lot to me to be able to do this myself.

Too much money going out, too little coming in.

/rant

The very reason my and my wife said fuck it and eloped 16 years ago, we paid the pastor at the Swedish seaman church in manhattan 200 bucks, picked a date and invited around 10 really good friends. After the wedding ceremony that was beautiful and personal we all went out to eat and drink at a fantastic Swedish restaurant named Christer's that unfortunately isn't there anymore, I remember I had the venison and it was amazing, Christer Larsson the owner/chef himself came out and toasted with us.

This is still bar none the best wedding experience I have ever had and it cost us 200 bucks, our friends bought the dinner for us ofc. An amazing experience. Great from start to finish.

No parents or grandparents or weird uncles to ruin things, no insane prices for mediocre food, no boring wedding like all the rest where everyone can't wait for the shit to be over because they're done it 100 times before.

Yes, did her mom moan and groan a little bit at first, sure, but she came around eventually. (My parents doesn't give a crap as long as im happy im lucky that way), sure did we get a ton of money or wedding gifts? No.

But trust me, what we got was an amazing UNIQUE experience that I will always remember as one of the best moments of my life, NO DISTRACTIONS. Just me and my wife could focus on each other doing whatever we really wanted.

No you have to do this or you're expected to do this, and if you invite him you have to invite her and remember to shake hands with them and make sure of this and that and this and that. No worrying about the food or the bar or the table cloths or whatever.

This was a wedding that was 100 percent about US, not anybody else. It was different in a GOOD way, I go to weddings all the time and ppl spend all these crazy amounts and they barely have time for each other and they are all the same, according to the same formula, hate to say it but they're completely forgettable because of it.

Anyways, sorry for rambling on, this was just my story and it shows it can turn out great by keeping things simple, and even though you might think your family will kill you if you don't do it the regular way no, they will get over it and you can have the special moment be about YOU instead of pleasing everyone else.

I wish you luck on your wedding and I hope it turns out fantastic for you and your future wife.

Cheers.

I won't even tell you how much my per plate was. But I got help from my in laws. We still paid 7k for photos and video, 3500 for the DJ, $4k for flowers, then the shuttle, the breakfast the next day, the bags for people who stayed over and favors.

You know what? It was all worth it. It was the best night of my life and people tell me it was the best wedding they ever went to.

So fuck it.

This is the same with my wedding as well. Our hall wasnt that expensive, we were at the West Sayville Country Club, its right on the water and we were I think $108 a plate, and that was including an open bar. Some places are just way over priced for what they have. We also paid about the same amount as you did for the video and photos, we got a deal on our DJ, we had to book the day we met him for like $1500, and we also got the TV's and pictures for free for booking at that time. We got hooked up through a friend for flowers. Luckily, most of our family lives here, so we only had a couple of people from out of town, but they stayed with family. We still get lots of people still telling us how awesome our wedding was, and that was 6 years ago. It was a fun night.

I need a place to vent about this nonsense!

I am getting married in exactly 1 year and I have to say this whole wedding business is driving me insane. It is disgusting at how much people charge you for this special day. I love my fiance and she means everything to me but putting down 5 figures for a fucking 6 hour is nauseating. I can think of so much more practical things to put that money towards than a 6 hour party. Like, oh I don't know... a down payment towards a HOUSE?

We can't even have an evening wedding because of the insane prices. We are getting married at Crest Hallow and found out that after tax and gratuity, an evening wedding costs 170 pp, while an afternoon wedding costs 78 pp. So we decided to go with the afternoon wedding. In July. I hate the summer. With my luck it will be today's temperature of 97 degrees.

Then there are the mother fucking vendors!!!! This asshole had the gall to ask me if I was interested in their $10,000 photography package. I don't know about you guys but on my teacher's salary there is no way in heck I can afford a 10k photography package.

I am also paying this out of my own pocket because I don't want to hassle my parents and it means a lot to me to be able to do this myself.

Too much money going out, too little coming in.

/rant

Invite me. I give generous envelopes.

Wtf? You watching your figure there, princess? :D

I got sick. Had nothing to do with the venue. I was able to make it through cocktail hour, and about an hour of the reception. It was hot that day, and I was outside at my daughter's softball ceremonies that were delayed for 2 hours, and it was torturous. The heat makes me sick and nauseous, and it ended up throwing my whole body into a frenzy.

Edit: Fwiw, the food at the cocktail hour was fantastic. I was lucky enough to taste it again after I got home.

I got sick. Had nothing to do with the venue. I was able to make it through cocktail hour, and about an hour of the reception. It was hot that day, and I was outside at my daughter's softball ceremonies that were delayed for 2 hours, and it was torturous. The heat makes me sick and nauseous, and it ended up throwing my whole body into a frenzy.

Edit: Fwiw, the food at the cocktail hour was fantastic. I was lucky enough to taste it again after I got home.

Glad to see Im not the only one this happens to, not that Im glad either one of us gets like this, I just thought I was the only one. I dont know anyone else that gets like this.

Glad to see Im not the only one this happens to, not that Im glad either one of us gets like this, I just thought I was the only one. I dont know anyone else that gets like this.

I get like this as well... what makes it worse is that the school I work at has no AC and for most of the year it is obviously fine but in September and June it is extremely draining.

The fact that our ceremony is being held outdoors around noon and then pictures from 1-2pm makes me really, really nervous about how Im gonna deal with the weather. I get really cranky in the heat so I can see myself being rather unpleasant during this time of the wedding.

I get like this as well... what makes it worse is that the school I work at has no AC and for most of the year it is obviously fine but in September and June it is extremely draining.

The fact that our ceremony is being held outdoors around noon and then pictures from 1-2pm makes me really, really nervous about how Im gonna deal with the weather. I get really cranky in the heat so I can see myself being rather unpleasant during this time of the wedding.

I got married in July as well, and I was worried about this as well, I pretty much hung out in the shade until I was need for pictures. We did our pictures at the Long Island Maritime Museum, so it was hot over there. My wife is a teacher as well, so we had to get married over the summer.

Can you do the pictures before the ceremony? Our ceremony started at like 11:30, so we did pictures at 9 AM. We did it that way to get the pictures out of the way and so we can enjoy the cocktail hour.

Can you do the pictures before the ceremony? Our ceremony started at like 11:30, so we did pictures at 9 AM. We did it that way to get the pictures out of the way and so we can enjoy the cocktail hour.

I think we can as long as there isn't another wedding party already taking pictures. That is actually a really good idea, thanks!

I think we can as long as there isn't another wedding party already taking pictures. That is actually a really good idea, thanks!

We were supposed to do that at my wedding. We were married outdoors, at a country club, but the fuckin girls were an hour late. I missed my entire cocktail hour, and I had to sweat my fuckin balls off.

We were supposed to do that at my wedding. We were married outdoors, at a country club, but the fuckin girls were an hour late. I missed my entire cocktail hour, and I had to sweat my fuckin balls off.

Sounds like my upcoming wedding and my fiance is almost always late...

We made sure we had the ceremony early enough to where we had two hours between the ceremony and the start of cocktail hour so we could go to cocktail hour. That's the best part because they have the best food there.bwe were able to enjoy the whole thing and talk to everyone during it and say our thankyous and enjoy the reception.

Archived