• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PAPD recruitment starts today

cousin

Hmmm...interesting. The more i hear about becoming an officer (NYPD or PA), the more intrigued i am.

Quick question. Physically, how well do i have to be? Im not exactly in the best of shape, but im hoping to change that before i graduate.

Its been a while since I was in the academy, but if you can run a mile and a half, you'll pass. It can be fun, the first couple of years suck, but once your off probation, you can apply for anything in the department.

It's a joke.I'm not the strongest guy in the world at all, but I was very athletic when I took the JST, having played hockey 3x a week and full court games of basketball at least 1x a week. I found that cardio is the best way to "practice" for the JST. On the entry for the police academy I did it in 2:59 and for the actual JST I did it 2:35.

I'm on a mobile, so I can't post the video. Just go to youtube and search nypd JST. And here's the break down to go along with it:

Dont letthe wall psyche you out, it's really nothing. If you ever had to hop a fence as a kid to retrieve a baseball, you'll be fine. You can jump as many stairs as you want going up and have to hit everyone on the way down, it's not that serious.

For the push and and pull, remember only one foot has to cross the line. Also, use your body weight appropriately.

Don't be a schmuck like me on the laps. I sprinted the first 3 and got a little tired for the last few. Which made me tired for the dummy pull. The dummy pull is fine so long as you use proper technique. Wrap the rope around your wrists, get low and pull steadily, not in a herky jerky motion.

The trigger pull sucks if you're tired. Luckily, I never had an issue but guys in my company and one of my best friends from the company actually failed bc of it. EVERY girl in my company failed the JST atleast once, always because of the wall or the trigger pull. I'd recommend buying one of those handgrips at a high tension and just practice when you're sitting in your house watching tv.

The run is a joke as well. You have to run a mile and a half in 14:00. You can be heavyset and power walk that if you really tried. I ran it in 9:10.

Man, I miss the academy. Impact has its fun moments, but I miss getting paid to work out everyday and working a 4 by lol.

I didnt have to do all this. When I was going in, we had to do a course similar to this, then if we passed that, we had to take a psychological test, and then meet with the department psychologist, and then they would pick who was taken in. To graduate the academy, we had to pass two mile and a half runs in a certain time(forgot what the time was), we had to do a certain number of pull ups, bench press I think it was half your body weight and do a sit and reach where you had to sit and extend your legs and push a dial forward on a box a certain distance. They were a lot different with us in gym than they are now. We werent allowed to have water in gym, and you could only try to get water in the 2 minute break down stairs at the water fountain, but if you weent one of the first ones, you didnt get anything. They would run us for an hour, and sometimes they would run us until everyone dropped. They would run us, stop us, do calisthenics and then run us again, stop us and do more calisthenics and run us again. I hated those days. Now I hear its totally different and they dont do half the stuff we had to go through.

Archived