• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kid tells shit teacher how it is! YES!

Saucy Mitts

Truth be told, I have done packets... but they have worked for me. I spent 3 months trying my tits off and not getting through, so I decided that kids need to hold themselves accountable. The kids actually held sighs of relief when I suggested that they work independently. If all you're doing is teaching from packets, it's clearly shitty balls, but if you develop and differentiate, it CAN work.

I respect this kid because he's calling a lazy, tenured bitch out on her indifference. You can tell she had no response to the truth venom he was spitting.

I've found packets to be unreliable with some age groups and great for others.

For younger kids, strategically differentiated packets can be a godsend. If the differentiation is spot on, you'll be able to draw some silence from them for a good 20 minutes and actually..you know, get something out of them.

For students over the age of 13-14, you're going to want to adopt a less busy-work oriented, but more philosophically backed educational style. Packets and differentiation somewhat lose their luster. They care - if you let them - they do - and they want to learn how to learn. IMO, regardless of your subject, in high school the best question you can ask a student is "Why?" - especially when the question hasn't got a concrete answer.

I just watched it, good for this kid. Teachers should never be sitting down when teaching a class, unless they are sitting with a kid and working with them or they are taking a test. I hated lazy teachers like that. I had one math teacher that was the worst teacher, and she was the head of the math department, a bunch of us failed her class and when we retook it with another teacher, we all passed with A's.

Best use of packets that I remember was for my Ap history class where there were a ton of blanks in the packet outlines and we had to fill them in as the teacher was teaching using the overhead, and she would collect and grade them at the end of class

Keith, Chris and I will provide "school safety". Also, most teachers I know don't do much but think of themselves as curers of cancer.

I'm going with the low blow here, because frankly, most cops think they're the cure for society's cancer too. Glass houses, stones, etc.

Keith, Chris and I will provide "school safety". Also, most teachers I know don't do much but think of themselves as curers of cancer.

I'm going with the low blow here, because frankly, most cops think they're the cure for society's cancer too. Glass houses, stones, etc.

I usually have a hard time determining who has the bigger martyr complex.

The teacher is on administrative leave.

The teacher, whom the district has not identified, was placed on paid administrative leave Thursday.

Not for anything in the video, district spokesman Tammy Kuykendall said. “We are looking at what happened leading up to when the recording started,” she said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/headlines/20130509-duncanville-high-students-angry-critique-of-teacher-goes-viral-online.ece

Not to derail the thread but it has been mentioned and I would like to add my 2 cents.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people constantly talk about how teachers are inept and always play "We change the world" card. Now, I do admit that there are a lot of teachers in the system who are terrible teachers and have no business in a classroom. There is no denying it and it shames me whenever I see teachers just mailing it in and collecting a paycheck. That being said, there are a lot more teachers who genuinely care about their students and are working to their full capacity and trying to get them up to par.

It is also hard for teachers to advocate for students now because the system has changed from when I (and probably most of you) were kids. Teachers are constantly fighting uphill battles because of many different variables. New curricula, parents who aren't there for their children, parents who solely blame the teachers, administration who aren't supportive of their teachers (luckily I have great administration), students who frankly don't give a damn and are completely unmotivated and many other reasons. Most of the teachers I know are constantly trying to help their students and want to make sure that they live a fruitful life. It may not seem that way because the entire system isn't very strong but most teachers really do try to make a difference (at least in my school and some other schools that I know of).

Tenure is a touchy subject and I understand why people hate the system. Tenure however, was designed to keep the good teachers in the system and make sure that they are there to hopefully mold our future generations. My parents were both teachers and they were amazing teachers. My father especially was/is a very dedicated teacher. He won best teacher in the district and was nominated for Best Teacher in NYS back in his 3rd year of teaching. He has changed countless lives and if he did not have tenure, he could have been removed when he got older because of how much money he was making. I am currently working my tail off to make sure I get tenure because I want to make as much of a difference as my father. I am one of the math team coaches at my school (and we just got to meet the Chancellor and were featured in many newspapers), I teach the SHSAT program after school and I always make myself available to help my students. The reason why I want to be tenured is because I want to make sure I am protected and am guaranteed a spot in the school. Yes, I also want it for job security but I went into this profession to change lives and I can't do that without any job security.

Teaching is a hard job. Are there harder jobs? It depends on how you define "harder". Just imagine trying to teach 33 students in a classroom, all with different needs, different abilities, different backgrounds, different parents, being assigned a new curriculum, low funding and having some kids who have no respect for teachers or adults.

Anyways, I don't know if this made any sense. To be honest, being a math teacher and being more left brain dominated; I am not always sure if my posts make any sense LOL. But I hope you all know that there are a lot of dedicated teachers out there who really do want to make a difference and don't let a few idiots in the field ruin your perspective on the teachers in NYC / NYS / USA / the world.

Not to derail the thread but it has been mentioned and I would like to add my 2 cents.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people constantly talk about how teachers are inept and always play "We change the world" card. Now, I do admit that there are a lot of teachers in the system who are terrible teachers and have no business in a classroom. There is no denying it and it shames me whenever I see teachers just mailing it in and collecting a paycheck. That being said, there are a lot more teachers who genuinely care about their students and are working to their full capacity and trying to get them up to par.

It is also hard for teachers to advocate for students now because the system has changed from when I (and probably most of you) were kids. Teachers are constantly fighting uphill battles because of many different variables. New curricula, parents who aren't there for their children, parents who solely blame the teachers, administration who aren't supportive of their teachers (luckily I have great administration), students who frankly don't give a damn and are completely unmotivated and many other reasons. Most of the teachers I know are constantly trying to help their students and want to make sure that they live a fruitful life. It may not seem that way because the entire system isn't very strong but most teachers really do try to make a difference (at least in my school and some other schools that I know of).

Tenure is a touchy subject and I understand why people hate the system. Tenure however, was designed to keep the good teachers in the system and make sure that they are there to hopefully mold our future generations. My parents were both teachers and they were amazing teachers. My father especially was/is a very dedicated teacher. He won best teacher in the district and was nominated for Best Teacher in NYS back in his 3rd year of teaching. He has changed countless lives and if he did not have tenure, he could have been removed when he got older because of how much money he was making. I am currently working my tail off to make sure I get tenure because I want to make as much of a difference as my father. I am one of the math team coaches at my school (and we just got to meet the Chancellor and were featured in many newspapers), I teach the SHSAT program after school and I always make myself available to help my students. The reason why I want to be tenured is because I want to make sure I am protected and am guaranteed a spot in the school. Yes, I also want it for job security but I went into this profession to change lives and I can't do that without any job security.

Teaching is a hard job. Are there harder jobs? It depends on how you define "harder". Just imagine trying to teach 33 students in a classroom, all with different needs, different abilities, different backgrounds, different parents, being assigned a new curriculum, low funding and having some kids who have no respect for teachers or adults.

Anyways, I don't know if this made any sense. To be honest, being a math teacher and being more left brain dominated; I am not always sure if my posts make any sense LOL. But I hope you all know that there are a lot of dedicated teachers out there who really do want to make a difference and don't let a few idiots in the field ruin your perspective on the teachers in NYC / NYS / USA / the world.

Like this?

936620_592584124095936_1983103785_n.jpg

Also, the problem with tenure is that it's granted with less than objective discretion.

Like this?

936620_592584124095936_1983103785_n.jpg

Also, the problem with tenure is that it's granted with less than objective discretion.

Yeah, I agree 100%. Too many unqualified teachers were granted tenure and now the system is suffering because of it. However, the system now is much more rigorous than it was in the past.

Btw, that cartoon is sad but true. We saw that cartoon last year I think.

Archived