• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dave Lozo Is Leaving NHL.com

CreaseCrusader91

I listen to the same shows, and I agree. And, again, I don't hate Marek. Just sometimes, jeez, the stuff he comes out with are like, "Are you listening to yourself right now?"

I say the same thing with Mac. "Does this guy seriously think like this, or is this all just a gag?"

I always liked Dave Lozo on Twitter. Didn't particularly love his pieces on NHL.com, although his piece summarizing the Rangers issues earlier was good.

Okay, it was nothing that we hadn't all discussed here before, but it wasn't bad by any means.

• 2 months later...

http://davelozo.tumblr.com/post/55001472361/here-is-what-i-have-been-doing-with-my-life-since

Pretty interesting story here about Lozo's life after the NHL and his mindset while making his decision to leave the NHL.

I?ve written/I?m writing a screenplay.

Then the season started. With a compressed schedule, it was far more difficult to write. Sometimes I?d go two or three weeks without even opening the Word document that contained this screenplay. But the season progressed, and so did the story. My partner would read, offer notes, I?d revise, he?d offer notes, I?d revise, etc. etc. etc. rinse, lather, repeat.

During this time, things changed in a major way at my place of employment. Us writer types were told about a change of philosophy. For a good four years or so, we were all about original writing, game coverage, features, analysis, all that jazz. I?m not sitting here telling you we were ever a true journalistic news site ? MLB.com and NFL.com were light years ahead of where we were in that regard ? but we were slowly taking strides away from worrying about PR and team reactions to negative news and that type of thing. It was a fun place to work that you felt was going in the right direction.

But that philosophy changed. We were told that going forward, we were no longer being judged on ?original writing," and instead we were being judged on how quickly we could rewrite breaking news from other people. For example, a reporter in Vancouver tweets that Roberto Luongo is starting over Cory Schneider. We would now be judged on how quickly we could rewrite three paragraphs about that and get it on the site.

Game coverage was also being reined in, and while a feature on Luongo or Schneider wasn?t frowned upon, it wasn?t what the site would be about.

Around that same time in March, my partner and I felt pretty good about the screenplay. We had received some really positive feedback about it and we felt like it was at a point where we could begin showing it to the right people in a couple months. It wasn?t ready, it needed more work, but we were coming down the home stretch with it.

Here?s where I made one of those incredibly stupid life decisions.

One thing I have noticed is that the quality of articles at NHL.com have really gone down, which is typical of a corporate website that is trying to have as little controversy as possible.

http://davelozo.tumblr.com/post/55001472361/here-is-what-i-have-been-doing-with-my-life-since

Pretty interesting story here about Lozo's life after the NHL and his mindset while making his decision to leave the NHL.

One thing I have noticed is that the quality of articles at NHL.com have really gone down, which is typical of a corporate website that is trying to have as little controversy as possible.

Thanks for posting. Just saw on Twitter. I think there is a reason why PD and The Score are so popular because of their creativity.

Thanks for posting. Just saw on Twitter. I think there is a reason why PD and The Score are so popular because of their creativity.

Absolutely. The articles there are just plain more interesting and you get actual opinion pieces.

I also thought the article gave an interesting perspective from a guy unhappy with his job, had a different passion, and now questioning/worried about his decision to quit.

The problem is, PD and The Score are also receiving far less traffic, and have far lesser sponsors to worry about in the event an opinion is posted that offends a great number of people, etc.

There's a reason most major companies go "sterile" with this type of thing – it's just easier to deal with, even if it is less engaging for more hardened, seasoned fans. You average NHL watcher is still going to go to NHL.com for generic takes on stories and game-time decisions, etc.

The problem is, PD and The Score are also receiving far less traffic, and have far lesser sponsors to worry about in the event an opinion is posted that offends a great number of people, etc.

There's a reason most major companies go "sterile" with this type of thing ? it's just easier to deal with, even if it is less engaging for more hardened, seasoned fans. You average NHL watcher is still going to go to NHL.com for generic takes on stories and game-time decisions, etc.

Yahoo is the most viewed online news outlet in the world. Their name is tied to Puck Daddy so I think they have tons of sponsors to worry about.

PD has had their fair share of controversy as well with players and the NHL that got major attention. I think it is a fair to say they could he prone to corporate scrutiny, but they still operate how they want too.

As a whole, Yahoo Sports is the most viewed sports site in the world. but amongst hockey it goes

1. NHL

2. ESPN

3. TSN

4. Yahoo NHL

(Via Alexa rankings)

Yahoo! isn't the NHL, though. It's not a direct hit in the event Wysh or one of those types goes off the deep end. Egg on the face of NHL.com is egg on the face of the NHL, not just a company writing about them.

I don't really recall the PD blog ever really being in hot water over a story though. What/when?

Yahoo! isn't the NHL, though. It's not a direct hit in the event Wysh or one of those types goes off the deep end. Egg on the face of NHL.com is egg on the face of the NHL, not just a company writing about them.

I don't really recall the PD blog ever really being in hot water over a story though. What/when?

The Semin story in which he calls out Crosby written by Dmitry Chesnokov. PD was slandered for falsfying quotes lost in translation.

DC was eventually vindicated. That one immediately comes to mind.

The "dead wood" comment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-chats-with-Alex-Semin-about-Ovie-Cro?urn=nhl,118770

Also, on #MvsW he has mentioned numerous times that teams have confronted him about pieces on Puck Daddy. The Rangers were one of them. They got mad at his posts during the ECF last year because they felt they were slanted towards NJD. He talked about it during one of the summer podcasts.

The Semin story in which he calls out Crosby written by Dmitry Chesnokov. PD was slandered for falsfying quotes lost in translation.

DC was eventually vindicated. That one immediately comes to mind.

The "dead wood" comment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-chats-with-Alex-Semin-about-Ovie-Cro?urn=nhl,118770

Also, on #MvsW he has mentioned numerous times that teams have confronted him about pieces on Puck Daddy. The Rangers were one of them. They got mad at his posts during the ECF last year because they felt they were slanted towards NJD. He talked about it during one of the summer podcasts.

I believe he started the whole Rangers shot-blocking story line. He made it up, out of this air. Last playoffs the Rangers blocked a little over 18 shots per game, the year before the Bruins and Canucks blocked 15 and 14 per/respectively. Last playoffs the Caps blocked 22 per game. So why was he focused on the Rangers? Let me guess...

Then that shit took on a life of it's own when reality is that everyone was blocking shots.

Archived