• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Money Saving Thread

Pete

TD bank is the greatest. The branch I signed up with in Maine was open until like 6pm on Sundays. 7 days a week. They were open til like 7pm on Saturdays. Plus the customer service has always been top notch.

The most important thing though is ATM fees. How do we get away from these? Are there any banks that don't charge for withdrawals at other banks' ATMs?

I have bank of America, they aren't too bad. Your best bet is a credit union, but the problem is that they are usually only confined to one area. I had Suffolk Federal Credit union and was making more interest, but they are only on Long Island, so working in the city I needed a bank I could run to if I needed some money, so that's why I changed.

I have bank of America, they aren't too bad. Your best bet is a credit union, but the problem is that they are usually only confined to one area. I had Suffolk Federal Credit union and was making more interest, but they are only on Long Island, so working in the city I needed a bank I could run to if I needed some money, so that's why I changed.

Most Credit Unions these days have partnerships where you can use your ATM/Debit card with any participating Credit Unions ATM fee free. That was the biggest perk when we joined ours. That and the 2.99% Auto loan rate and 5% debt consolidation rate. Not so sure what the rate is on savings though.

I just opened a savings account for my daughter at TD Bank b/c they have a penny arcade and I have LOTS of coins to count. Anyways the rep told me that im getting "a great rate".....0.5%....I said "WHAT? Thats a great rate?" I remember when interest rates were like 3-5%...To have the audacity to tell me im getting a great interest rate was baffling. I use Chase for my savings but thats just for my convenience.

I just opened a savings account for my daughter at TD Bank b/c they have a penny arcade and I have LOTS of coins to count. Anyways the rep told me that im getting "a great rate".....0.5%....I said "WHAT? Thats a great rate?" I remember when interest rates were like 3-5%...To have the audacity to tell me im getting a great interest rate was baffling. I use Chase for my savings but thats just for my convenience.

Worst part is, if you get hit with any fees, there goes any interest you earned in that account.

HSBC's rates are shit. Considering changing banks for my savings. Who do you all use? Is it safe to just go with the bank with the best rate? That currently CIT Bank.

Discuss here.

I use HSBC for my savings too...I just got an email yesterday saying they're going to lower my interest rate (for the 4092th time)....all I could do is laugh.

I would be weary going with a bank I never heard of.

I honestly only went with HSBC because at the time their interest rate was one of the highest and they don't have branches near me. I wanted an account I could just electronically transfer money into and not easily take money out of, so I don't spend it on stuff I don't need. I opted to not take a debit card from them too just for that reason.

It's a decent amount, even though it isn't worth it for a .30% difference...but I'm not gonna post that on here anyway. Too much of a hassle to move the money.

Interest rates are pathetic these days. I'm thankful I've been able to invest in the stocks at work...banks could never touch that.

Very true...I'm well aware, believe me. It can be unnerving thinking about it. It's weird even saying "I have this much cash in stocks" because it's really not money I actually have. I get pissed when the stock goes down like 8 bucks in a day, it fluctuates a lot.

About 3/4 of my shares were bought for less than $115 dollars, so unless Apple tanks around $450 in a short time, I'll be fine. I'm not sure what the ratio of what I put into stocks versus how much I've gotten out of them...but I know it's extremely high. I started buying into Apple when it was around $45.

I've thought about cashing about half of it and just putting it into savings, but as of right now, it's still making me money so why bother.

• 11 months later...

Archived