• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Need a New Wireless Router

Phil

Yup. I was functioning at 48% signal strength before it died with 16 or 18% noise interference.

That was probably more a byproduct of hardware failing than anything but, environment plays such a big part of signal strength. Either way, get anything newer with Wireless N, in the flavor your comfortable with.

That was probably more a byproduct of hardware failing than anything but, environment plays such a big part of signal strength. Either way, get anything newer with Wireless N, in the flavor your comfortable with.

I'm calling the Best Buy on 23rd and 6th now to see if they're carrying the E3200 in stock.

:+1:

You may like the stock interface from the get go but, at least you have the choice with that particular router.

Yup. That was one of the selling points for this reading through the comments. It has to be better than the stock interface on the 54GL. My god, that was archaic. Nearly impossible to navigate for anyone who had no idea what they were doing. I read about how they upgraded the whole UI a while back but obviously using older models it was never available to me except through DD-WRT.

Now the fun part comes... what to name my network again? Do I stick with "Die Hipster Scum" or go with something a little more flavorful and fun? "I Smell Your Weed, 1R" maybe?

Yup. That was one of the selling points for this reading through the comments. It has to be better than the stock interface on the 54GL. My god, that was archaic. Nearly impossible to navigate for anyone who had no idea what they were doing. I read about how they upgraded the whole UI a while back but obviously using older models it was never available to me except through DD-WRT.

Now the fun part comes... what to name my network again? Do I stick with "Die Hipster Scum" or go with something a little more flavorful and fun? "I Smell Your Weed, 1R" maybe?

mine last year was "Die Of Aids Package Thief" or something right around there. I had a wrt shipped to me and some dickhead stole it. Had to get a new one and kept that as my network name for the rest of the year.

• 4 years later...

On the market for a new router. Budget is around $150ish. Strong signal strength and range is the main priority as I'm in a large house and it's been hard to find good coverage with previous routers. Firmware reliability is key too as my previous Netgear's firmware would get corrupted every few months and need a hard reset.

What do you guys recommend?

On the market for a new router. Budget is around $150ish. Strong signal strength and range is the main priority as I'm in a large house and it's been hard to find good coverage with previous routers. Firmware reliability is key too as my previous Netgear's firmware would get corrupted every few months and need a hard reset.

What do you guys recommend?

I got this router:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00BUSDVBQ

Amazing for the price. It has a ton of features. I had problems with connection in the far reaches of my apartment, but this router fixed all that. Perfect connection everywhere. Dual band helps too, so I don't get bogged down with all the 2.4 GHz connections.

The Netgear r6300 was a big improvement on my old link sys wrt54g, except when it's not.

Have some annoying conflicts with the way Verizon FIOS was set up with it that make it difficult to lower the boom on Internet access when the 18 yo is egregiously misbehaving, and I mean really egregiously.

The Netgear R6300 WiFi Router gives you next generation WiFi at Gigabit speeds making it ideal for serious gamers and for people wanting high-speed access at home. The dual band Gigabit router enables HD streaming throughout your home with speeds up to 3 X faster than Wireless-N. The Netgear Gigabit router is compatible with next generation WiFi devices and backward compatible with 802.11n. The Netgear R6300 WiFi Router is not only one of the fastest routers on the market it is also incredibly easy to install and set-up. The Netgear Genie App provides a valuable personal dashboard enabling you to monitor and manage your network.

I got this router:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00BUSDVBQ

Amazing for the price. It has a ton of features. I had problems with connection in the far reaches of my apartment, but this router fixed all that. Perfect connection everywhere. Dual band helps too, so I don't get bogged down with all the 2.4 GHz connections.

For dual bands, did you make sure the SSID for both is the same? I've found doing that allows the traffic to automatically filter to the appropriate band.

The Netgear r6300 was a big improvement on my old link sys wrt54g, except when it's not.

Have some annoying conflicts with the way Verizon FIOS was set up with it that make it difficult to lower the boom on Internet access when the 18 yo is egregiously misbehaving, and I mean really egregiously.

If you need help with permissions within the router I can assist. If Netgear's admin panel is the same it should be a few simple settings that allow to cut off access at certain times based on device being used.

Archived