• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Netflix Abandons Qwikster; Stocks Continue to Drop

Phil

I really don't know what to say to you if you truly believe that the only way they could improve their service was to alienate millions of customers and lose 66% of the companies value. That's a ridiculous notion.

How many millions of companies have expanded/upgraded their products/service without losing over half their value or experiencing such backlash? I don't view what happened as a necessary evil for them. At all.

• 2 weeks later...

http://mashable.com/2011/10/24/netflix-loses-800000-customers-in-quarter/

Netflix?s price hike caused 805,000 paid subscribers to jump ship in the most-recent quarter, the company reported Monday.

The company finished its third quarter with 23.79 million U.S. subscribers compared with the 24.59 million in had during its second quarter. In Q3, Netflix announced a 60% price increase, which went into effect in September. The company had predicted in a letter to shareholders that the impact of the price increase would be limited and the company would finish the Q3 with 25 million total subscribers. Investors reacted by continued to punish Netflix?s already-battered stock, sending down 27% in after-hours trading.

That, despite a relatively sound earnings report: Netflix reported $822 million in revenues for the quarter and earnings per share of $1.16, which beat estimates of $811.79 million and earnings per share of 96 cents, respectively.

I got the student price so it was only 40 bucks. I use it mostly for the free shipping, though. They have good streaming tv shows but the streaming movies blow dick

My free year isn't over yet, but I have raped their free two day shipping option. As for their selection I haven't gone through it entirely but I plan on renewing.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20125433-93/why-wall-street-is-still-wrong-about-netflix/?tag=mncol

The trouble with trying to adapt a big and growing business to disruptive technologies is that the process is... well, disruptive, as Netflix has demonstrated beyond the shadow of a doubt.

But "disruptive" doesn't mean "impossible," and it's way too soon to count Netflix out--although that hasn't stopped Wall Street from trying.

• 11 months later...

Archived