• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rock: Officially Dead on the Airwaves of New York FM Radio; RXP is Going Talk

Phil

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2011/07/11/2011-07-11_alternative_rock_is_replaced_by_radio_talk_on_wrxp_when_merlin_media_takes_over_.html

The rock apparently will stop rolling Friday on WRXP (101.9 FM).

That's the date, according to multiple trade sources, that the new Merlin Media, which is buying the station from Emmis, will take over the programming.

Merlin has not officially announced a new format, but it seems clear it will not continue the alternative rock that replaced smooth jazz on 101.9 in February 2008.

According to most speculation and inside reports, Coldplay, the White Stripes and Pearl Jam will be replaced by news or news/talk. The chief operating officer is Walter Sabo, who created the successful talk/oldies hybrid at WKXW (101.5 FM) in New Jersey.

First K-Rock... now this. Guess I'm back to not listening to FM radio, ever. :(

Me?

I have an AM/FM radio in the bathroom we used to leave tuned to RXP for when either of us are getting ready in the morning or when showering, etc. and whenever we're driving somewhere, it's AM/FM, and whenever I'm hanging out at my buddies place a few blocks away it's AM/FM in the backyard — all tuned to RXP, which was the only remaining modern rock station left in New York City.

Me?

I have an AM/FM radio in the bathroom we used to leave tuned to RXP for when either of us are getting ready in the morning or when showering, etc. and whenever we're driving somewhere, it's AM/FM, and whenever I'm hanging out at my buddies place a few blocks away it's AM/FM in the backyard — all tuned to RXP, which was the only remaining modern rock station left in New York City.

time to invest in satellite radio. since i got it w/ my car i havent listened to commercial radio since. i cant stand 2 songs, then 15 minutes of blabber/commercials, 2 songs, 15 minutes of commercials, etc....In the bathroom/while getting ready i use my ipod.

No reason to. Don't listen enough to justify the cost. Hence why we stuck with AM/FM in the first place. Now we'll just have to make sure the iPod AM/FM thing is with us in the car so we can listen to music off our phones over static channels when driving and listen to nothing in the bathroom.

Pandora, Slacker.

I know. I really considered it, but it means carrying a laptop into the bathroom every day, and always having it outside when we BBQ or eat outside, which means always having a power supply ready to keep it charged, etc.

Also doesn't help for the car.

The situation just sucks, man. At best all I have left now is oldies rock stations that play like 80% of their playlist from an era I wasn't even born in. :(

I know. I really considered it, but it means carrying a laptop into the bathroom every day, and always having it outside when we BBQ or eat outside, which means always having a power supply ready to keep it charged, etc.

The situation just sucks, man. At best all I have left now is oldies rock stations that play like 80% of their playlist from an era I wasn't even born in. :(

Sucks that you're too far north to tap into 95.5 NJ. The Rat is a decent station.

Isn't 105.5 rock as well?

Also - iHeartRadio app - DC 101. EXCELLENT station

Mini speakers for your iPhone. Do you have a car? Or ZipCar? Most cars have auxiliary jacks. I play mine through Bluetooth.

Don't you have a smartphone? I use Pandora all day and that alone has made buying a smartphone worth it.

Yes, but that doesn't really help. The speaker in the phone isn't powerful enough to hear in the bathroom or over the voices of people in a backyard, etc. Not without having to go out and buy a whole dock system for it, which it appears I'm going to have to do now.

Yes, but that doesn't really help. The speaker in the phone isn't powerful enough to hear in the bathroom or over the voices of people in a backyard, etc. Not without having to go out and buy a whole dock system for it, which it appears I'm going to have to do now.

No reason to break the bank. Those docking things are so abundant now that it's possible to find pretty cheap ones.

WTF, this was the only thing I could listen to at work in the car. Ugh, I hate New York radio, thank god I have XM. I have all the rock I want, with plenty of channels to choose from, plus I can listen to hockey talk, another thing New York radio never has. Regular radio blows.

WTF, this was the only thing I could listen to at work in the car. Ugh, I hate New York radio, thank god I have XM. I have all the rock I want, with plenty of channels to choose from, plus I can listen to hockey talk, another thing New York radio never has. Regular radio blows.

Not if you love Top-40. You have like 86 stations to choose from if you love that garbage.

Its really pathetic. I'm sure 97.1 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

While I don't listen to music on the radio much these days, I've given up trying to find stations that play 90s and 2000s rock (especially heavier stuff) and just settled to listening to 60s and 70s rock like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. I'm not even a huge fan of it, but atleast there is usually one or two stations playing that type of stuff.

Not if you love Top-40. You have like 86 stations to choose from if you love that garbage.

They have a top 40 rock channel. I listen to Lithium(90's rock), Octane(todays top rock/metal), Liquid Metal(metal), Sixx Sense(a new rock channel that plays all kinds of rock from the 80's to today), plus some of the 80's rock channels. I also listen to Pluse which is a combo of everything except rap.

see I like that stuff but I also like a bit of modern/90s rock, and RXP played both. Q1043 only plays classic and WBAB only plays Van Halen/commercials

Yeah, while I'm not living in NY these days, I'd prob. just listen to 104.3 at this point.

I actually thought RXP sucked. Maybe its because I'm just not into some of the local indie bands they seemed to play, but I just never liked their playlist. Once in a while you would get some decent classic rock and few 90s and 80s songs that you just didn't hear anymore, but overall I was let a little down.

I would listen to 1043 more often, but I can't listen to Springsteen and Billy Joel every 10 minutes even though I like them both.

Archived