0 0%
  • Isles in 6

0 0%
  • Isles in 7

4 33.33%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 2020-21 | EDSR | (E3) Boston Bruins vs. (E4) New York Islanders

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Coming into the season, I thought that Wash, Pitts and Boston were all dependent on stars well past 30 and at least somewhat past their peaks, but it was hard to tell if these teams were in decline when they were primarily playing each other in a sealed division. Tampa may be an indicator of just how strong the Metro Division really was.

Senior Member Midget Division
    The Islanders are just so greasy, I give them credit for another deep playoff run even though I don't like doing it. lol It should be another interesting series with Tampa. The way Vasilevskey has looked, they'll be another tough out. He just continues to play so well in big situations.

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Isles remind me of the Torts era Rangers, but better. Smarter. They sacrifice all the same but don't abuse their bodies to the same rate blocking shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Yeah, the blocking shots under Tortorella was just a bit much. Yeah, you need to do it, but it felt at times that they would almost go out of their way to block, block, block all of the time. I don't think Tortorella would be happy unless there were actual pieces of Girardi, Staal and Callahan out on the ice.

Nah, it worked. He just didn't have the depth he needed to run it out. It's a hard way to earn a living, albeit successfully, especially when you're down to four defenders in the playoffs. Just gruelling.

Isles don't have the same problems. They've got the depth and they do a better job of maintaining their physical play without abusing themselves to the point of exhaustion. It's enviable.

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Yeah, and they're doing all of it without Anders Lee too. But, Lamoriello knew what he was doing when he made those deadline deals with New Jersey. He usually pushes the right buttons. That GM/coach combo would be a dream to me as a fan. lol

They largely embody what I was hoping for with the whole "fast, physical, relentless" mantra that Quinn tried to apply. Imagine that, but with Panarin & co.

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Yeah, exactly. It's what made losing to the Islanders even more frustrating than it would normally. The Rangers have more than enough skill and speed to the points where I thought they really should be beating the Islanders easily, or at least not getting so man handled by them. I'm just watching thinking, "How!?" I know they have depth and are very well coached, but still, it shouldn't have looked like a total 'men vs. boys' matchup it played out as.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Isles remind me of the Torts era Rangers, but better. Smarter. They sacrifice all the same but don't abuse their bodies to the same rate blocking shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Yeah, the blocking shots under Tortorella was just a bit much. Yeah, you need to do it, but it felt at times that they would almost go out of their way to block, block, block all of the time. I don't think Tortorella would be happy unless there were actual pieces of Girardi, Staal and Callahan out on the ice.
    NYR blocked shots per 60 during Torts era:

2008-09: 11.46 (26th)
    2009-10: 14.18 (10th)
    2010-11: 15.63 (4th)
    2011-12: 16.06 (3rd)
    2012-13: 15.84 (6th)

Trotz era Islanders / Torts Blue Jackets:

2019-20: 16.69 (1st) / 14.92
    2020-21: 13.99 (7th) / 13.82

An interesting trend actually happened this year. Shot blocking went down drastically and it hasn't been this low in many years. The leading shot blocking team has generally been well over 16 per 60 for many years now. In some cases, 17 or 18 shots per 60. The top shot blocking team this year was the Vegas Golden Knights at 14.89.

I'm not sure the evidence points toward Tortorella having an insane shot blocking request. I think there were foolish times for certain players, in specific Callahan and Girardi, to step in front of shots. There's a time and a place to do it. I recall Callahan taking a Chara one timer to the leg and breaking it. That's a brave idea, but a dumb one.

Yeah, that's why I said it seemed like they would go out of their way to do it a lot of times. Overall it worked, yes, but it had its moments where it would be overkill, as you alluded to.

Tort took a keep them on the perimeter and let them shoot away strategy to an extreme with the Rangers. The Islanders challenge for the puck more. They create crowds and don't permit open ice, but they are not throwing themselves in front of shots the way Cally and Co. did. Containing the Rangers in those regular season games was one thing, containing Tampa will be another.

I hated every minute of that series. My hatred for the Islanders vs. my hatred of anything Boston. There were no winners here.

I'm even more disgusted in watching how the Islanders just seem like a team built for playoff success. Tough on the puck, absolute pain in the ass to play against, but disciplined as hell.. It's maddening.

All that being said, Tampa will apply pressure no one else in the East is able to do. I bet it goes 6 or even 7, but the sheer depth in Tampa wins out. I can only hope for several agonizing/dick punch losses for the Islanders

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I hated every minute of that series. My hatred for the Islanders vs. my hatred of anything Boston. There were no winners here.

I'm even more disgusted in watching how the Islanders just seem like a team built for playoff success. Tough on the puck, absolute pain in the ass to play against, but disciplined as hell.. It's maddening.

All that being said, Tampa will apply pressure no one else in the East is able to do. I bet it goes 6 or even 7, but the sheer depth in Tampa wins out. I can only hope for several agonizing/dick punch losses for the Islanders
    Same here I dislike both teams, but wanted the Bruins in this one.

I truly hope that Tampa does take, but won't be easy and was hoping the Bruins/Isles series would've went 7.
    can only hope for several agonizing/dick punch losses for the Islanders
    yes please
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

What paddy said. I could never actually root for the Islanders, as much as I like Barry Trotz. But Boston are douchebags and Marchand makes me sick to my stomach, so at least I don't have to see them for the remainder of the postseason.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

2020-21 | EDSR | (E3) Boston Bruins vs. (E4) New York Islanders

Tuukka Rask has a torn labrum in his hip

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That will make his UFA status interesting, out until 2022.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011