0 0%
  • Isles in 7

4 33.33%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 | EDSR | (E3) Boston Bruins vs. (E4) New York Islanders

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ..."9 year process"... It's year 3.
    Year 4 since our season is over sooner than many other teams. Think we are winning the cup next year when we don’t even know how to play in a tough regular season game let alone playoff atmosphere?

rebuilding Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Nope. That’s not what I’m doing. I’m suggesting to win in today’s nhl doesn’t need a 9 year long process or hoarding every young guy hoping they one day break out to be what we already have. Sometimes it takes a good coach. Sometimes it takes actually deciding on a mix of role players for different looks from your top six and your bottom six.

And please spare me this idea of different stages. We have a number one center that is a 40 goal scorer. We have a a LWer that is an MVP candidate. We have a D that is in a Norris conversation. We have an outstanding goalie. We have a number 2 center with the same amount of points as the Islanders top point getter. We have TWO other 20 goal scorers (3 including ziby) and the Islanders have none. We are underachieving. At some point, which I assume is now, there needs to be a realistic look to say our top 6 is our top 6. It’s as good as any in hockey. Let’s keep that together or decide who will step up into it now and have role players take up a bit more of the bottom six instead of trying to send “skill” guys in that bottom 6 as placeholders that will never develop anyway in that role.
    We have pieces but not a cohesive roster. Islanders have a system with players with established roles. Compare the Islanders third and fourth lines to the Rangers third and fourth lines. Islanders can channel the Brodeur Devils, roll four lines, and try to wear down their opponent into making mistakes in their defensive end. Ultimately you have to wonder whether the Islanders run out of energy by the end of the playoffs, like Rangers under Torts.

Rangers have gone the speed/skill route, and there are holes in our roster where we are waiting for young players to develop.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Year 4 since our season is over sooner than many other teams. Think we are winning the cup next year when we donít even know how to play in a tough regular season game let alone playoff atmosphere?
    Now we're getting Ticky tack if it's year three or four? Come on. It's been three full seasons since the letter. There's simply no need to discuss math.

A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    You know it doesn't hold much meaning? The Islanders, when compared to the Rangers. Two franchises in completely different stages.

To suggest that the Rangers should speed up their rebuild because the Islanders are successful is kind of mind-boggling.
    Bolded is why I don't see any point in comparing the two. The Rangers were completely devoid of any assets after years of playoff runs. They needed to rebuild.

It's why I don't get the point of a post like this:

Year before Isles hired Trotz and we hired Quinn.

New York Islanders 82 35 37 10 80
    New York Rangers 82 34 39 9 77
    It completely ignores the directions both teams were headed in. Sure, the Islanders "sucked" but they had just been a playoff team prior to consecutive misses. They weren't completely devoid of talent and playoff ability. Snow was canned because the team was floundering, and they brought Lamoriello in with the purpose of winning soon.

If you're Trotz, which team are you picking? The one that has waived the white flag or the one that's trying to compete? Trotz wasn't in the Rangers plans, they wanted a development coach, and he wasn't in theirs. There's no point in rehashing that.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Nope. Thatís not what Iím doing. Iím suggesting to win in todayís nhl doesnít need a 9 year long process or hoarding every young guy hoping they one day break out to be what we already have. Sometimes it takes a good coach. Sometimes it takes actually deciding on a mix of role players for different looks from your top six and your bottom six.

And please spare me this idea of different stages. We have a number one center that is a 40 goal scorer. We have a a LWer that is an MVP candidate. We have a D that is in a Norris conversation. We have an outstanding goalie. We have a number 2 center with the same amount of points as the Islanders top point getter. We have TWO other 20 goal scorers (3 including ziby) and the Islanders have none. We are underachieving. At some point, which I assume is now, there needs to be a realistic look to say our top 6 is our top 6. Itís as good as any in hockey. Letís keep that together or decide who will step up into it now and have role players take up a bit more of the bottom six instead of trying to send ďskillĒ guys in that bottom 6 as placeholders that will never develop anyway in that role.
    I mean...

The number one center couldn't get over COVID for half the season.

The MVP candidate LWer missed three weeks.

The Norris candidate D just finished his 2nd season in the league.

The outstanding G finished finished his roomie year where he missed 2+ weeks.

Then add Miller and Laf were rookies. Kakko in his second year.

Kravtsov, Jones, Barron, and Lundkvist/Schneider will be rookies next year.

They were without Kreider going into the Isles games. Lost Trouba in the first game and lost Lindgren in the second.

The rebuild is progressing well. A new coach is coming, and there will be new faces on at least the 4th line.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    I mean...

They were without Kreider going into the Isles games. Lost Trouba in the first game and lost Lindgren in the second.

The rebuild is progressing well. A new coach is coming, and there will be new faces on at least the 4th line.

Add to this, the management team that got us to this place with all these successful players just got canned... And they get no credit for assembling this cast.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Add to this, the management team that got us to this place with all these successful players just got canned... And they get no credit for assembling this cast.
    Aren't you the first to slam Gorton for having all of the good stuff fall into his lap (Panarin, Fox, Kakko, Lafreniere) while screwing up everything else (bad contracts, Trouba trade, etc.)? So, given that, what place did management get us to that other management couldn't have gotten us to?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Aren't you the first to slam Gorton for having all of the good stuff fall into his lap (Panarin, Fox, Kakko, Lafreniere) while screwing up everything else (bad contracts, Trouba trade, etc.)? So, given that, what place did management get us to that other management couldn't have gotten us to?
    Ask Edmonton or Buffalo. I don't think Gorton is an exceptional GM or should be up for an award but he's certainly not incompetent.

I don't think Drury is, but I do think Dolan is and if his reasoning for firing JD was so he could be more heavy handed or get advice from Sather.... Well there's really nothing to be excited about in that scenario.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Rangers rebuild: Five plus years, innumerable personnel moves, multiple coaches, GMs and team Presidents.

Islanders Rebuild: Hire Barry Trotz.

Rangers: Gifted Panarin, Fox, LaF and Kakko, and still treading water or at best slowly improving.

Islanders: Lose best player for nothing yet immediately improve.

Yes, you look at the Islanders roster and it is quite solid line for line, unit for unit and in goal. However, I think (and hope) that they need more in the way of star players or fire power to get them over the hump, and they don't really have the tradeable assets or picks to get it.

Carolina is similar to the Islanders. The way Tampa dismantled Carolina's 4-2 lead yesterday was the hockey equivalent of the Dresden fire bombing. Shock and awe.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Rangers rebuild: Five plus years, innumerable personnel moves, multiple coaches, GMs and team Presidents.

Rangers: Gifted Panarin, Fox, LaF and Kakko, and still treading water or at best slowly improving.

Yes, you look at the Islanders roster and it is quite solid line for line, unit for unit and in goal. However, I think (and hope) that they need more in the way of star players or fire power to get them over the hump, and they don't really have the tradeable assets or picks to get it.

Carolina is similar to the Islanders. The way Tampa dismantled Carolina's 4-2 lead yesterday was the hockey equivalent of the Dresden fire bombing. Shock and awe.
    3+ years. Not 5 plus.

Sure, if you want to skip over the Isles 3 playoff appearances in 11 years or the 9 top 15 picks before Trott was hired.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    3+ years. Not 5 plus.
    What I meant was that it will inevitably be five years, unless we are contending for the cup next year, which is always a possibility but unlikely.

Now we're getting Ticky tack if it's year three or four? Come on. It's been three full seasons since the letter. There's simply no need to discuss math.
    Did we win anything this year? It’s not being anything except honest. In our season we have already started year four while teams like the Islanders are still playing in year three to win the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    I mean...

That’s a sweet list if we are saying top excuses for 100, Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Bolded is why I don't see any point in comparing the two. The Rangers were completely devoid of any assets after years of playoff runs. They needed to rebuild.

It's why I don't get the point of a post like this:

It completely ignores the directions both teams were headed in. Sure, the Islanders "sucked" but they had just been a playoff team prior to consecutive misses. They weren't completely devoid of talent and playoff ability. Snow was canned because the team was floundering, and they brought Lamoriello in with the purpose of winning soon.

If you're Trotz, which team are you picking? The one that has waived the white flag or the one that's trying to compete? Trotz wasn't in the Rangers plans, they wanted a development coach, and he wasn't in theirs. There's no point in rehashing that.
    Well that also completely ignores losing Tavares and not missing a beat. It’s also conveniently missing that we also were a playoff team prior as well and only a few years removed from the finals and semis. We tore down to hire a coach that didn’t know wtf he was doing. “Developmental” is being very generous for someone that had extremely minimal nhl coaching experience. I’m not sure there is no point in rehashing the past. Wtf else are we to do this summer? Talk s out how amazing it’ll be when we are one cog away from a cup with a 34 year old Panarin that gives less of a fuck to what whoever the coach is at the time asks?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Did we win anything this year? Itís not being anything except honest. In our season we have already started year four while teams like the Islanders are still playing in year three to win the cup.
    LOL ok, dude.

Moderator Bantam Division
    Thatís a sweet list if we are saying top excuses for 100, Alex.
    All that did affect the season, but not as much as the fact that, as of February, the Rangers had roughly 1/2 of the regular season game experience of the four teams ahead of them and closer to 1/3 of the (much more salient) playoff game experience. You can't wave a magic wand and give a team - where more than half of their players have less than 3 NHL seasons and virtually no playoff games - the combat experience to fight through Boston and Pittsburgh. Yet they competed until near the end and would have made the playoffs in other divisions.

A few role players might have made a difference in the final outcome, but it was a year to "play the kids" and get them the game experience they MUST HAVE to develop. It's not like Gorton was going to stand pat this summer.

IMO, the chronic inability of NY fans (including Dolan here) to endure, withstand, stomach, or otherwise deal with any amount of adversity without dissolving into angry calls to blow it all up is a huge and historic obstacle to building a Cup caliber team here. It's not new. It's always been this way. It's the dynamic that allowed and encouraged a Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge trade and a trail of tears of other bad deals. And here we go again.

You can't just jump to step 6. You have to go through 3, 4, and 5. And sometimes that requires facing tough stretches and losing important battles along the way - and dealing with it. But we're always looking for short cuts and 'win faster" snake oil. It's the Ranger way. One Cup in 80 years speaks for itself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

Islanders Rebuild : 20 years

Palmieri is doing just what Lamoriello thought he was going to do. He's fit like a glove. Both of these teams are annoying and a pain in the ass, so it's not surprising the games are how they are. lol The only good thing is one of these teams will be eliminated.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    All that did affect the season, but not as much as the fact that, as of February, the Rangers had roughly 1/2 of the regular season game experience of the four teams ahead of them and closer to 1/3 of the (much more salient) playoff game experience. You can't wave a magic wand and give a team - where more than half of their players have less than 3 NHL seasons and virtually no playoff games - the combat experience to fight through Boston and Pittsburgh. Yet they competed until near the end and would have made the playoffs in other divisions.

A few role players might have made a difference in the final outcome, but it was a year to "play the kids" and get them the game experience they MUST HAVE to develop. It's not like Gorton was going to stand pat this summer.

IMO, the chronic inability of NY fans (including Dolan here) to endure, withstand, stomach, or otherwise deal with any amount of adversity without dissolving into angry calls to blow it all up is a huge and historic obstacle to building a Cup caliber team here. It's not new. It's always been this way. It's the dynamic that allowed and encouraged a Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge trade and a trail of tears of other bad deals. And here we go again.

You can't just jump to step 6. You have to go through 3, 4, and 5. And sometimes that requires facing tough stretches and losing important battles along the way - and dealing with it. But we're always looking for short cuts and 'win faster" snake oil. It's the Ranger way. One Cup in 80 years speaks for itself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    SlowClap.gif

Repped.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast