Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Salary Cap Dodging

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,071
    Rep Power
    56

    Salary Cap Dodging

    Anyone think a rule change is coming in regards to the TBL Kucherov situation? I think this is a tricky one, but one thing is clear, which is that they cheated to manipulate their salary cap. What to do about it is different. Do they fine/penalize the lightning? Do they change the rules somehow (not sure what it'd be)? Do they do nothing? I think they have to consider action even if the ultimate outcome is nothing.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    siddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,874
    Rep Power
    161
    What they did is not considered a violation so I doubt there will be any fines or penalties.

    Honestly I donít see it happening often, how many stars wanna sit out the season?

    Not worried about it


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    34,107
    Rep Power
    637
    Buyout waivers is worse.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    4,905
    Rep Power
    132
    I saw him skating in person back in January. Seeing what he looked like then, I can't believe that he's even capable of playing right now. He looked terrible and also looked to be in terrible pain. But I guess that was four months ago already...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    783
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by siddious View Post
    What they did is not considered a violation so I doubt there will be any fines or penalties.

    Honestly I don’t see it happening often, how many stars wanna sit out the season?

    Not worried about it


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Cap circumvention was not a "violation" when the backdiving contracts were handed out, yet the NHL changed the rules to retroactively penalize those teams and even took assets away from the Devils for the Kovalchuk debacle. If anything, the NHL has shown it will penalize "rule-abiding" teams just because they got caught with their pants down.
    If you remember Cash or Czech?, do you remember my password?

  6. #6
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    siddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,874
    Rep Power
    161
    But again how many stars are willing to give up a year of their career in order to be able to play in the playoffs with a ~better team?

    I donít see this happening ever again or often anyway


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,790
    Rep Power
    214
    Similar to Justin Williams sitting out the beginning of the season in 19/20, then signing for a $700k bonus laden deal in January.

    Shouldn't be able to sign UFA's mid season, and should need to play in a minimum number of regular season games to qualify to play in the playoffs.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,388
    Rep Power
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by siddious View Post
    But again how many stars are willing to give up a year of their career in order to be able to play in the playoffs with a ~better team?

    I don’t see this happening ever again or often anyway


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    apparently at least 2 lol

    i dont doubt that Stamkos and Kucherov were injured. obviously they were. I don't think they faked an injury. But I do wonder if they decided to keep the players out longer than needed to accommodate the salary cap constraints.

    I can't see any kind of rule change that players on IR would still count against the cap. That could lead to teams not being able to call up a replacement.

    I think this ends up just being a rule that people live with and exploit. Its not like teams are gonna have guys that get 'injured' every season and only come in for playoffs or anything like that
    __________________________________

  9. #9
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,580
    Rep Power
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    apparently at least 2 lol

    i dont doubt that Stamkos and Kucherov were injured. obviously they were. I don't think they faked an injury. But I do wonder if they decided to keep the players out longer than needed to accommodate the salary cap constraints.

    I can't see any kind of rule change that players on IR would still count against the cap. That could lead to teams not being able to call up a replacement.

    I think this ends up just being a rule that people live with and exploit. Its not like teams are gonna have guys that get 'injured' every season and only come in for playoffs or anything like that
    or teams could exploit someone's injury and put him on IR just before the trade deadline. Add a player whom otherwise you couldnt add because of the cap, and then take off the 'injured' player right after the regular season ends.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,071
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by siddious View Post
    But again how many stars are willing to give up a year of their career in order to be able to play in the playoffs with a ~better team?

    I don’t see this happening ever again or often anyway


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Yeah I'm not seeing this argument really. You need to miss at least ten games and 24days due to "injury". A team already with a good chance of making the playoffs can very easily be imagined sitting one of their guys who is a little banged up for a while, and bringing them back after adding a rental. It's exactly what Tampa did in sitting Kucherov and Stamkos absolutely longer than necessary. It's cheating, really, akin to players diving. Ten games in a normal season is not even that many.

    The question is more is it a big enough problem to do something about it. Xander's point about the Devils contract is a great analog, and I was imagining something similar happening here, even if it's just a number of games played qualification or something similar. You don't want to prevent players who are legitimately injured from coming back, but you do want to prevent teams from cheating the cap.

    I could imagine a "payback" scenario, where if you go over the cap by X dollars for one postseason due to LTIR you have to be under the cap by the same amount of dollars the following season. Alternatively you could have teams forfeit draft picks akin to Offer Sheet compensation somehow proportional to the amount of dollars over. That would allow the players to come back, since that's good for the game, but dissuade teams from the practice.

  11. #11
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    siddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,874
    Rep Power
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    Yeah I'm not seeing this argument really. You need to miss at least ten games and 24days due to "injury".
    Iím not a cap expert by any means so I could be wrong but is that not just the qualifier to put someone on LTIR? After that the cap hit is a percentage of how much time is actually played during the season vs being on LTIR.

    In other words if Kuch missed a month, the cap relief is minimal. Youíd have to basically miss a serious portion of the season to be able to sign someone else?




    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,071
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by siddious View Post
    I’m not a cap expert by any means so I could be wrong but is that not just the qualifier to put someone on LTIR? After that the cap hit is a percentage of how much time is actually played during the season vs being on LTIR.

    In other words if Kuch missed a month, the cap relief is minimal. You’d have to basically miss a serious portion of the season to be able to sign someone else?




    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    That may be true in the regular season (not sure), but there is no salary cap in the playoffs, which is the main concern I have.

  13. #13
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,573
    Rep Power
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Similar to Justin Williams sitting out the beginning of the season in 19/20, then signing for a $700k bonus laden deal in January.

    Shouldn't be able to sign UFA's mid season, and should need to play in a minimum number of regular season games to qualify to play in the playoffs.
    You have to be added before the deadline to be eligible.

    Minimum games wouldn't work because no one's taxi squad would be available unless the minimum games threshold was something like 5.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •