Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 180

Thread: Rangers, Jackets Could Battle Over Gallant

  1. #1
    Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    93,566
    Rep Power
    684

    Rangers, Jackets Could Battle Over Gallant

    Davidson’s move to a division rival also seeking a coach in the wake of John Tortorella’s departure from the organization could have an impact on the Rangers if the Jackets go hard after Gerard Gallant, who is believed at the top of New York’s wish list following his meeting last week with the Blueshirts’ president-GM Chris Drury.

    Gallant spent six years with Columbus at the turn of the century, serving as an assistant coach from 2001-02 through mid-2003-04 before he was elevated to the top job that he held for 142 games.

    There would not seem to be much comparison between the open jobs behind the Rangers’ and Blue Jackets’ benches, nor between the talent on the clubs’ respective rosters. But if Gallant has an affinity for life in Columbus and is unsure about New York, then Drury might have to accelerate his timetable and attempt to reel in the coach before he can be wooed away by JD.
    https://nypost.com/2021/05/20/john-d...site%20buttons
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,259
    Rep Power
    155
    never heard anyone say they have an 'affinity for life in columbus' but what do i know?

    Gallant has only ever taken a team past the first round of the playoffs once (VGK should have gone past in his 2nd year there for sure, not his fault). I don't mean that as an indictment on him, just that, he has no reason to go coach a Columbus team that is approaching a full rebuild and doesn't really have much in the cupboards to start off with.

    with the unlikely exception of thinking he can replicate success with the knights by taking a team everyone doubted and turning them into a playoff team, there's no reason he would choose the blue jackets over the Rangers.

    Nice try Brooksie
    __________________________________

  3. #3
    Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    4,233
    Rep Power
    244
    My thought is if Gallant wants to go there, then fuck him....we'll get Tocchet. Problem solved.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Midget Division
    paddynyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    4,931
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    never heard anyone say they have an 'affinity for life in columbus' but what do i know?
    He's been there before and JD can preach stability after what happened at MSG the last couple of weeks.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

  5. #5
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,033
    Rep Power
    288
    When is the last time someone chose a minor market over a major market? We can offer more money, a bigger stage, more talent to work with, and a more exciting life.

    ...but hey, if you want to go to Columbus, go ahead. I can only assume you were the wrong man for the job anyway.

  6. #6
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    17,317
    Rep Power
    468
    Gallant is from PEI. Cities right now are total shitholes. Protests, riots, crime, poverty. I'm not exactly looking to visit NYC anytime soon. Maybe he likes smaller cities maybe he wants to live on a farm. We don't know, but there's plenty of reasons to not want to live in a city like NYC these days.

    Your point stands, though, if that's how he feels, he's not the right guy, anyways.


    I heard a story about Larmer's 1st week in NYC with his 1980 Chevy Scotssdale. He hated the place. The guy telling me the story was also a Ranger, and he hated the place. Half of them hated the place. It's not unique.

  7. #7
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,033
    Rep Power
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Gallant is from PEI. Cities right now are total shitholes. Protests, riots, crime, poverty. I'm not exactly looking to visit NYC anytime soon. Maybe he likes smaller cities maybe he wants to live on a farm. We don't know, but there's plenty of reasons to not want to live in a city like NYC these days.

    Your point stands, though, if that's how he feels, he's not the right guy, anyways.

    I heard a story about Larmer's 1st week in NYC with his 1980 Chevy Scotssdale. He hated the place. The guy telling me the story was also a Ranger, and he hated the place. Half of them hated the place. It's not unique.
    First of all, this is way overplayed and sounds like a scared person living outside of a city that has no idea what's happening in a cities right now around the country.

    Rangers practice in one of the nicest suburbs in the country. If he doesn't like the city, he doesn't have to go there but for a few hours 41 times a year. Doesn't sound like much of a sacrifice to me. Let's also not confuse current NYC with NYC of the early 90s where it actually was a shithole.

    It's totally possible he doesn't want to coach in NY, but I have a hard time believing he'd take an interview if that was the case. He may be from PEI but he's been to NY a million times. There's no secrets here.

  8. #8
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,133
    Rep Power
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    When is the last time someone chose a minor market over a major market? We can offer more money, a bigger stage, more talent to work with, and a more exciting life.

    ...but hey, if you want to go to Columbus, go ahead. I can only assume you were the wrong man for the job anyway.
    When JD tells you "good luck working for Dolan" LOL.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,033
    Rep Power
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    When JD tells you "good luck working for Dolan" LOL.
    Sure but when you're only argument for yourself is that you're not the other guy, it's not much of an argument. Rangers and Knicks have absolutely never had a problem getting players and coaches to come work for them. Money talks.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    RichieNextel305's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Over there
    Posts
    10,056
    Rep Power
    102
    We’ve never had to really deal with Dolans reputation effecting the Rangers. He’s always been so far removed from the picture. His reputation with the Knicks is obviously horrendous, as it should be. But luckily he really hasn’t ever dabbled with the Rangers until all of this happened. I’m interested to see if he actually could scare some candidates away.

  11. #11
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,216
    Rep Power
    117
    Good let them have him.

  12. #12
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    siddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,519
    Rep Power
    140
    Im pretty sure Dolan (fuck you dolan) can out-pocket any other owner and really thats what matters 99% of the time. Combine that with the outlook for this team over the next few seasons and I am sure this is a no-brainer over columbus.


    But stranger things have happened. Maybe he has a side chick still in Columbus.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Squirt Division Lord Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    294
    Rep Power
    12
    We know Babcock had a in person sit down with Drury as did Gallant. Tocchet and Roy have talked(Zoom?)with Drury.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  14. #14
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,133
    Rep Power
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Sure but when you're only argument for yourself is that you're not the other guy, it's not much of an argument. Rangers and Knicks have absolutely never had a problem getting players and coaches to come work for them. Money talks.
    I kinda disagree when the other guy is Dolan LOL.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    RichieNextel305's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Over there
    Posts
    10,056
    Rep Power
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Al View Post
    We know Babcock had a in person sit down with Drury as did Gallant. Tocchet and Roy have talked(Zoom?)with Drury.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Drury also spoke with Tortorella too, according to Brooks.

  16. #16
    Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    4,233
    Rep Power
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I kinda disagree when the other guy is Dolan LOL.
    84,000 posts!!! Pete...keep a rockin' man!!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Mite Division Bieser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Sure but when you're only argument for yourself is that you're not the other guy, it's not much of an argument. Rangers and Knicks have absolutely never had a problem getting players and coaches to come work for them. Money talks.
    Actually, the Knicks have. Free agents more so than coaching. But I believe it was more about winning than the city so I don't disagree with you completely.

    I think the larger market works for you more than against you.
    In 1994 I thought I could die in peace...now I'm hungry again.

  18. #18
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,133
    Rep Power
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    84,000 posts!!! Pete...keep a rockin' man!!
    I have a lot of free time. <shrug.gif>

  19. #19
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7,421
    Rep Power
    109
    Good. Now interview Boudreau.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    Capt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    469
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    First of all, this is way overplayed and sounds like a scared person living outside of a city that has no idea what's happening in a cities right now around the country.

    Rangers practice in one of the nicest suburbs in the country. If he doesn't like the city, he doesn't have to go there but for a few hours 41 times a year. Doesn't sound like much of a sacrifice to me. Let's also not confuse current NYC with NYC of the early 90s where it actually was a shithole.

    It's totally possible he doesn't want to coach in NY, but I have a hard time believing he'd take an interview if that was the case. He may be from PEI but he's been to NY a million times. There's no secrets here.
    People are leaving the city in droves. That is a fact for whatever reason. The Rangers may practice in a great neighborhood but there is still light years difference from Westchester to some farm town in Ohio. The commute getting to MSG could be enough for some when offered a choice to choose the other option.

    Im not following the 90's to now comparison because by no means is the city on the "rise" right now compared to then. The city by any measure is hurting right now.

    I do agree he would be foolish to take an interview if he has no interest and he's familiar with what coaching here would mean.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •