Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Rangers on State of the Rebuild: All-in on Talent; Where's the Toughness?

Senior Member Squirt Division

Former Rangers on State of the Rebuild: All-in on Talent; Where's the Toughness?

https://theathletic.com/2602469/2021...the-toughness/

--

For everyone with a subscription to the Athletic, tell me who you think Players A through F are:

I'll go first:

Player A: Sean Avery
    Player B: Ryan Callahan
    Player C: Mark Messier
    Player D: Adam Graves
    Player E: Dan Girardi
    Player F: Kevin Hayes
    Last edited by MuddyInTheMiddle; 05-21-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Senior Member Midget Division
    I read it once and right away Player C is Messier. I thought about Graves making a comment, but he's part of MSG and I don't think he'd get in on the debate.
    I generally like the team. It’s just that you need to add a veteran presence that has strong leadership, and you would need … at least one solid guy who plays with an edge on the top two lines. You thought (Chris) Kreider was going to be that, but he doesn’t seem to … he’s inconsistent in that role. And that’s why, when you look at there’s no captain, well, there’s no captain material. There really wasn’t. You’re not going to name Zibanejad (captain) just because he’s a good player. You don’t make him a captain because he often, in a physical game, he looks afraid. How many guys look afraid in a physical game? It’s pretty obvious. I mean, the only one who really stood out was (Brendan) Smith. He really played that role and he embraced it. He kicked it up a notch this year. … Other than that? (Ryan) Lindgren played hard.
    And his comment on Zibby OUCH afraid
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    I'm like 99% sure that player C is Ron Duguay.

I think F is someone like Anson Carter - this one has a pulse on the hockey world that the others don't seem to.

I also think the point on Schenider made at the end is interesting. He's progressed faster than we expected, and if he's surly, he might jump up on the depth chart faster than we expect.

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Yeah, I think there's a real reason they moved up to get him that was beyond surface-deep. I see him as a real wild card in camp.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I'm like 99% sure that player C is Ron Duguay.

I think F is someone like Anson Carter - this one has a pulse on the hockey world that the others don't seem to.

I also think the point on Schenider made at the end is interesting. He's progressed faster than we expected, and if he's surly, he might jump up on the depth chart faster than we expect.
    I cant read.
    But if its former players, I have to think Vally is one of them.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yeah, I think there's a real reason they moved up to get him that was beyond surface-deep. I see him as a real wild card in camp.
    Hajek replacement? We traded up to get him, so I'm thinking JD/Gorton knew something.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I remember in the beginning of the year when we were talking about the captain thing and I totally agree with this Mika point here, after seeing how this season unfolded. I've been watching a lot of the playoffs this year and you can really, very clearly see the difference that these teams have and the Rangers. So many of the games I find myself thinking "there's no way the rangers would last ten minutes in this game".

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    IMO, Trouba is the captain of this team. He took over the room when DQ didn't. When he got hurt the team looked afraid and folded. Crazy because I never would have said this had he stayed healthy but it really was a "you don't know what you got 'til it's gone" kind of thing.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    I remember in the beginning of the year when we were talking about the captain thing and I totally agree with this Mika point here, after seeing how this season unfolded. I've been watching a lot of the playoffs this year and you can really, very clearly see the difference that these teams have and the Rangers. So many of the games I find myself thinking "there's no way the rangers would last ten minutes in this game".
    Val, I said the same thing last night watching those hits in the Isles/Pens game.

We would be carted off the ice with injured vaginas, and bruised boobies!

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    IMO, Trouba is the captain of this team. He took over the room when DQ didn't. When he got hurt the team looked afraid and folded. Crazy because I never would have said this had he stayed healthy but it really was a "you don't know what you got 'til it's gone" kind of thing.
    Probably.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    You may be right but I still just barfed

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Kreider was out too.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Kreider was out too.
    He was out for half the season iirc

Senior Member Junior Division
    Can anyone share the article?

It's linked in the OP. It's various quotes from multiple former players.

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Lord Al's Avatar
    Nick Fotiu, PJ Stock ,Nick Kypreos ,Colton Orr ,Tie Domi ,Jeff Beukeboom player A-F

Quotes about the team right now and not named who said who?

What's the point with that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Quotes about the team right now and not named who said who?

What's the point with that lol
    If the author is making it up, very easy to write.

Not saying that's the case, but if someone won't put their name to it, it's less credible. Remember when things get back to normal, lots of retired players get some extra scratch doing MSG meet&greets and appearances. But nothing that's said here wasn't said elsewhere, nor much goes against Dolan's reasoning for dumping JD, Gorton and Quinn. It's not like saying these things out loud would cost them with managment. Messier just trashed the whole team on "Michael Kay". And Fotiu specifically has never minded ruffling feathers; had some not nice things to say about Rick Nash after 2014.

I don't subscribe. I can't read much of it.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Part 2 dropped today

Really interesting that multiple interviewees signaled that Lafreniere has/will develop the toughness they'd be looking to add to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast