Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 1177

Thread: 2021 Offseason Thread: New Year, Same Problems

  1. #461
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7,611
    Rep Power
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Again, why talk about trading players with NMCs. Again, they are rarely waived and when they are, it is is usually by a player playing for a bad team at the end of his contract. Trouba already insisted on leaving Winnipeg because he insisted on being in the U.S., as his wife would be going to an American rather than Canadian medical school. Trouba is not consenting to going to Toronto. There is no precedent for that kind of move. Why bring it up?
    I think that was more about getting out of Winnipeg, aka Columbus north. Nobody wants to be in Winnipeg. I think it's perfectly acceptable to talk about trading players with NTCs, IF you are talking about trading them to a desirable team. I'm not talking about sending him to Buffalo or Ottawa. He'd instantly be on a cup contender. I seriously doubt his wife's medical career trumps his hockey career. I'm not saying he's not happy here, because I don't know if he is. But if he were, he'd certainly be fine with getting out of the city that he's been putting up some of his worst stats in.

    Why bring it up? I have to answer to you?

  2. #462
    Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Seaside Park NJ
    Posts
    3,329
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    This is kind of a ridiculous statement don't you think? What is your profession to make such a prognosis. Even if you were the best doctor on earth wouldn't you need to examine the person to know if he had heart issues from Covid? The Rangers have doctors to make such an examination before dealing for him. I'm ok with the actual doctors making the call on whether the risk is worth it.
    Shit my bad I didn't realize the team had doctors.

    Read it again. I said IF it was long haul covid that already cost him the entire season and he's still not fully recovered as of now. He could also possibly be suseptible to future heart issues. I'm not a Dr. I have also not made a diagnosis. I stated imo the risk of making such a move is too great for multiple reasons.

    I do however have a 34 year old brother who was diagnosed with covid in March/April of 2020 who has never fully recovered and is now living with said heart issues, hence my apprehension. But you do you capt.

    No he didn't play in the NHL, just worked out 4-5 days a week and has been a runner his entire life, well up until he got sick.
    Last edited by Morphinity; 06-06-2021 at 02:31 PM.

  3. #463
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,681
    Rep Power
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Again, why talk about trading players with NMCs. Again, they are rarely waived and when they are, it is is usually by a player playing for a bad team at the end of his contract. Trouba already insisted on leaving Winnipeg because he insisted on being in the U.S., as his wife would be going to an American rather than Canadian medical school. Trouba is not consenting to going to Toronto. There is no precedent for that kind of move. Why bring it up?
    NMCs don't prevent a team from trading a player. They prevent a team from trading a player to a place he doesn't want to be. It's rare if ever that a player approached to waive their clause refuses or doesn't eventually relent; nobody wants to work for someone who doesn't want you working for them and that holds true here.

    It's way harder. But it's not impossible.

  4. #464
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,533
    Rep Power
    791
    I mean... Marc Staal waived his to go to Detroit... The worst team in the league. You don't need more of a proof point than that.

  5. #465
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,808
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I mean... Marc Staal waived his to go to Detroit... The worst team in the league. You don't need more of a proof point than that.
    Staal did not waive. He had a limited NTC in the final years of his contract and did not have Detroit on the list of teams to which he could not be traded.

    As Yzerman said, "Staal's No-Movement Clause did not apply in this instance"

    https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2020/...m-rangers.html

    It was a limited NMC in the final years.

    https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/detroit-...rc-staal-1938/

    Various hockey writers got it wrong, and presumed he must have waived it, but as Yzerman said, it didn't apply to this trade.
    Last edited by Sod16; 06-05-2021 at 01:22 PM.

  6. #466
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,533
    Rep Power
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Staal did not waive. He had a limited NTC in the final years of his contract and did not have Detroit on the list of teams to which he could not be traded.

    As Yzerman said, "Staal's No-Movement Clause did not apply in this instance"

    https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2020/...m-rangers.html

    It was a limited NMC in the final years.

    https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/detroit-...rc-staal-1938/

    Various hockey writers got it wrong, and presumed he must have waived it, but as Yzerman said, it didn't apply to this trade.

  7. #467
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,789
    Rep Power
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Staal did not waive. He had a limited NTC in the final years of his contract and did not have Detroit on the list of teams to which he could not be traded.

    As Yzerman said, "Staal's No-Movement Clause did not apply in this instance"

    https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2020/...m-rangers.html

    It was a limited NMC in the final years.

    https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/detroit-...rc-staal-1938/

    Various hockey writers got it wrong, and presumed he must have waived it, but as Yzerman said, it didn't apply to this trade.
    You missed quoting the part of that article where Stevie Y declined to say why the NMC didn't apply. Why would they even mention that if there was a NTC instead of a NMC?

    Don't trust sportrac. Nhl.com quotes capfriendly. Capfriendly has the accurate info.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  8. #468
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Capt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Shit my bad I didn't realize the team had doctors.

    Read it again clown. I said IF it was long haul covid that already cost him the entire season and he's still not fully recovered as of now. He could also possibly be suseptible to future heart issues. I'm not a Dr. I have also not made a diagnosis. I stated imo the risk of making such a move is too great for multiple reasons.

    I do however have a 34 year old brother who was diagnosed with covid in March/April of 2020 who has never fully recovered and is now living with said heart issues, hence my apprehension. But you do you capt.

    No he didn't play in the NHL, just worked out 4-5 days a week and has been a runner his entire life, well up until he got sick.
    He could possibly be susceptible to all kinds of issues. No shit. Im sorry to hear about your brother but his case has nothing to do with Toews. Has there even been a report that confirmed he had Covid? Thank you for stating the obvious that there is risk to trading for a mid 30's player who just missed an entire season due to an unknown illness. Why the need to add that he may have heart issues as if you have some inside knowledge to what his problem is is simply a ridiculous statement. Again I'm sorry your brother has experienced his issues. Just state that then. Don't make this about me,. I'm not doing anything other than calling out your point has zero basis is facts and should treated as such. Calling me names doesn't change that point.

  9. #469
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,808
    Rep Power
    65
    "Staal, whose 892 regular-season games rank sixth in franchise history, owned a modified no-trade clause on which Detroit was not listed as off-limits, The Post has learned."

    https://nypost.com/2020/09/26/ranger...-to-red-wings/

    Whether or not you like Uncle Larry, he has better sources than most in the business. Moreover, what he says is consistent with what Yzerman said, which was not completely forthcoming about the nature of the NMC but indicated that it was something other than a straightforward airtight NMC.

    Also, Uncle Larry's scoop simply makes more sense. I doubt Staal would waive his NMC to go to Detroit, a poor team, when he otherwise probably would have been bought out and could have had his choice.

    I'm not going to do the research, but Uncle Larry was not the only one with this information at the time. Others were more specific, describing a 10 team no trade list.

    Sorry, Marc Staal did not waive an NMC.

  10. #470
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,533
    Rep Power
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    "Staal, whose 892 regular-season games rank sixth in franchise history, owned a modified no-trade clause on which Detroit was not listed as off-limits, The Post has learned."

    https://nypost.com/2020/09/26/ranger...-to-red-wings/

    Whether or not you like Uncle Larry, he has better sources than most in the business. Moreover, what he says is consistent with what Yzerman said, which was not completely forthcoming about the nature of the NMC but indicated that it was something other than a straightforward airtight NMC.

    Also, Uncle Larry's scoop simply makes more sense. I doubt Staal would waive his NMC to go to Detroit, a poor team, when he otherwise probably would have been bought out and could have had his choice.

    I'm not going to do the research, but Uncle Larry was not the only one with this information at the time. Others were more specific, describing a 10 team no trade list.

    Sorry, Marc Staal did not waive an NMC.
    Uncle Larry's best source is this board.

    Even if you want to debate that, plenty of other players waive. It's a non-issue. It makes it harder, not impossible.

  11. #471
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,808
    Rep Power
    65
    Uncle Larry did not make it to the Hall of Fame with this board as his source.

    I don't know of any player a year or two into a long term contract, who was not the source of any particular controversy aside from being somewhat overpaid, who waived an NMC to leave a team loaded with talent and facing a promising future. If you can name someone like that, I'd be interested.

    In 2024, when Kreider is in the last year of his NMC, the deadline is approaching, and the Rangers are out of the playoffs (God forbid), we can talk about Kreider maybe waiving his NMC.

  12. #472
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,533
    Rep Power
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Uncle Larry did not make it to the Hall of Fame with this board as his source.

    I don't know of any player a year or two into a long term contract, who was not the source of any particular controversy aside from being somewhat overpaid, who waived an NMC to leave a team loaded with talent and facing a promising future. If you can name someone like that, I'd be interested.

    In 2024, when Kreider is in the last year of his NMC, the deadline is approaching, and the Rangers are out of the playoffs (God forbid), we can talk about Kreider maybe waiving his NMC.
    Well you don't have to talk about it at all if you don't want to, that doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

    BTW, Dany Heatley not only waived his NTC a year into a 6 year deal, he asked for a trade because he was unhappy with his role.

    Should Trouba find himself on the third or Kreider playing 14 mins a night... Players want to play.
    Last edited by Pete; 06-06-2021 at 10:08 PM.

  13. #473
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Capt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Uncle Larry's best source is this board.

    Even if you want to debate that, plenty of other players waive. It's a non-issue. It makes it harder, not impossible.
    Do you really believe Larry takes his sources and thoughts from this board?

  14. #474
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,808
    Rep Power
    65
    [QUOTE=Pete;1073198]BTW, Dany Heatley not only waived his NTC a year into a 6 year deal, he asked for a trade because he was unhappy with his role.

    BTW, Heatley asked to be traded after a controversy erupted due to him sleeping with Jason Spezza's wife and Spezza sleeping with Heatley's fiance. Here's one link, but it was widely reported all over at the time. As I said, in the previous post "I don't know of any player a year or two into a long term contract, who was not the source of any particular controversy aside from being somewhat overpaid..." Heatley was involved in a huge off ice controversy, which Kreider and Trouba have not been. When they start sleeping with teammates' women, the possibility of them waiving their NMCs will be something to talk about.

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ay-from-ottawa

  15. #475
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,533
    Rep Power
    791
    [QUOTE=Sod16;1073209]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, Dany Heatley not only waived his NTC a year into a 6 year deal, he asked for a trade because he was unhappy with his role.

    BTW, Heatley asked to be traded after a controversy erupted due to him sleeping with Jason Spezza's wife and Spezza sleeping with Heatley's fiance. Here's one link, but it was widely reported all over at the time. As I said, in the previous post "I don't know of any player a year or two into a long term contract, who was not the source of any particular controversy aside from being somewhat overpaid..." Heatley was involved in a huge off ice controversy, which Kreider and Trouba have not been. When they start sleeping with teammates' women, the possibility of them waiving their NMCs will be something to talk about.

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ay-from-ottawa
    Sorry but the only thing less credible than Bleacher Report in an article from Bleacher Report that says "there's no evidence for what you're about to read."

    Like I said before, if you don't want to talk about players waving and NMCs, then don't talk about it. Doesn't mean other people can't.
    Last edited by Pete; 06-07-2021 at 06:43 AM.

  16. #476
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21,681
    Rep Power
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    Do you really believe Larry takes his sources and thoughts from this board?
    It's a long, long running joke that whenever we open a conversation that's a bit off, Brooks follows with a very, very close article about it within a week. We don't really think it, but it's almost uncanny how often it seems to happen.

  17. #477
    Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    4,660
    Rep Power
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    It's a long, long running joke that whenever we open a conversation that's a bit off, Brooks follows with a very, very close article about it within a week. We don't really think it, but it's almost uncanny how often it seems to happen.
    When he starts using my one-liners, then I'll know 100% for sure...but I still think he uses us as a reference for A LOT!!!

  18. #478
    Senior Member Junior Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7,323
    Rep Power
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    It's a long, long running joke that whenever we open a conversation that's a bit off, Brooks follows with a very, very close article about it within a week. We don't really think it, but it's almost uncanny how often it seems to happen.
    Speak for yourself

  19. #479
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    siddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,856
    Rep Power
    161
    He most definitely frequents this forum if for nothing more than to see what people are saying.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #480
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,605
    Rep Power
    77
    [QUOTE=Sod16;1073209]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, Dany Heatley not only waived his NTC a year into a 6 year deal, he asked for a trade because he was unhappy with his role.

    BTW, Heatley asked to be traded after a controversy erupted due to him sleeping with Jason Spezza's wife and Spezza sleeping with Heatley's fiance. Here's one link, but it was widely reported all over at the time. As I said, in the previous post "I don't know of any player a year or two into a long term contract, who was not the source of any particular controversy aside from being somewhat overpaid..." Heatley was involved in a huge off ice controversy, which Kreider and Trouba have not been. When they start sleeping with teammates' women, the possibility of them waiving their NMCs will be something to talk about.

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ay-from-ottawa
    Lmao! They switched wifes' for a weekend or were both trying to bang behind the others back?

    Anyway, what an amazing story lol

Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •