Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Offseason Thread: New Year, Same Problems

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Yeah. I'm inclined to agree. Both the Leafs and the Oilers might just refer to the Lightning getting swept in the first round by Columbus a few years ago. Rather than blowing it up, they retooled by upgrading their 3rd pairing D and bottom 6. They didn't overreact and trade Stamkos, Point, etc. They brought in Shattenkirk to replace Girardi and Maroon for the bottom 6. Then they added excellent bottom 6 players at the deadline in Coleman and Goodrow. They gave a 1st for both of those guys and I remember thinking "what gross overpayment". I was wrong.
    Lightning had 1 Cup Final and 2 Conference Final appearances in the 4 years prior to getting swept by Panarin. Toronto has now been bounced in the first round 5 straight years.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Yeah. I'm inclined to agree. Both the Leafs and the Oilers might just refer to the Lightning getting swept in the first round by Columbus a few years ago. Rather than blowing it up, they retooled by upgrading their 3rd pairing D and bottom 6. They didn't overreact and trade Stamkos, Point, etc.
    Compare: Neil Smith's overreaction to losing to the Flyers in 1995 to Tampa's prudent and measured reaction to being swept by Columbus in 2019. That said, I sure wouldn't rule out a Marner for Jones deal if I were them.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Lightning had 1 Cup Final and 2 Conference Final appearances in the 4 years prior to getting swept by Panarin. Toronto has now been bounced in the first round 5 straight years.
    That's true, but I think an argument could be made that TB's success followed by completely falling apart is just as much a tempting reason to blow it up as Toronto's problem of just not getting over the hump yet.

Senior Member Midget Division
    That's true, but I think an argument could be made that TB's success followed by completely falling apart is just as much a tempting reason to blow it up as Toronto's problem of just not getting over the hump yet.
    That was my point though. Getting to the Finals/Conference Finals is the hump that Tampa was stalling out on. Toronto hasn't even been able to get to the hump yet.

That was my point though. Getting to the Finals/Conference Finals is the hump that Tampa was stalling out on. Toronto hasn't even been able to get to the hump yet.
    Ah. Ok. I thought your point was that Tampa had previously shown an ability to go deep so they had less reason to make a major move.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Do we know whats up with Toews yet?

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Do we know whats up with Toews yet?
    Kinda, sorta.

Here’s what I can report: Toews is indeed improving, as TSN’s Darren Dreger first reported in late April. And the Blackhawks are indeed optimistic he’ll be able to return to the team in the fall. That said, nothing is certain. Being optimistic is not the same thing as being sure.
    https://theathletic.com/2624158/2021...eylaz-mailbag/

He's exactly the kind of player they need, though. I'd absolutely have interest in trading for him.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

improving from what?

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    No one knows (except for him and the Hawks).

Best guess? Long-hauler Covid. It was reported that whatever unspecified medical issue he's dealing with left him feeling “drained and lethargic.”
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I'm sure the Rangers could get that info, but it seems like a massive massive risk. I do like Toews. And I do think he'd be a great fit here (contract not withstanding). But his illness is bizarre.

true, cant go Covid-Covid down the middle if they both look like Zibanisbad

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I'm sure the Rangers could get that info, but it seems like a massive massive risk. I do like Toews. And I do think he'd be a great fit here (contract not withstanding). But his illness is bizarre.
    Too much of a risk imo if it's covid long haul and it's already cost him the entire season and he's still recovering. I would think at this point he could possibly be susceptible to related heart issues too as a result. Too much of an unknown still in my book to risk a big swing a miss, although I love the player he was prior and I guess at some point still might be. I'm ok with finding that out from a distance.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Toews would literally be the perfect fit for the Rangers....if it wasn’t for his issues.

He checks just about every box that the Rangers have a need for. It’s a shame he’s dealing with what he’s dealing with. If he were made available, and Chicago retained salary, I think the Rangers would for sure have interest. But, given his legacy and history with that team, I doubt the cost is going to make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Toronto is interesting because there's a logical space to overreact here, and a perfectly equally logical space to point to a lack of scoring depth once Tavares got clocked. Their defense is fine. Their offense is fine. Their goaltending stepped up. That Keefe got outcoached in games 5 and 6 is very, very concerning.

They need to rebuild their bottom 6, figure out a backup goalie, and one or two defenders on around 12.5 million in cap space.
    Yeah, maybe it is the coach. They've shuffled that bottom 6 for how many years now though?

This recent batch of bottom 6 produced in the regular season, butt hey didn't do too badly in the playoffs either. Kerfoot and Spezza were 2nd and 3rd in scoring for the series.

I don't like much about their defense. I think they could use a shut down type or a bit of muscle back there.

But, yeah, maybe it's the coach. That roster should do better.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Compare: Neil Smith's overreaction to losing to the Flyers in 1995 to Tampa's prudent and measured reaction to being swept by Columbus in 2019. That said, I sure wouldn't rule out a Marner for Jones deal if I were them.
    I would rule it out. Jones stinks now. Marner is a franchise level player. If they're trading him it's for a haul which would need to be a younger and affordable player that is going to stick around.

Wanna dump Trouba? Call Toronto. Obviously it would cost more than Trouba..

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Wanna dump Trouba? Call Toronto. Obviously it would cost more than Trouba..
    Again, why talk about trading players with NMCs. Again, they are rarely waived and when they are, it is is usually by a player playing for a bad team at the end of his contract. Trouba already insisted on leaving Winnipeg because he insisted on being in the U.S., as his wife would be going to an American rather than Canadian medical school. Trouba is not consenting to going to Toronto. There is no precedent for that kind of move. Why bring it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Again, why talk about trading players with NMCs. Again, they are rarely waived and when they are, it is is usually by a player playing for a bad team at the end of his contract. Trouba already insisted on leaving Winnipeg because he insisted on being in the U.S., as his wife would be going to an American rather than Canadian medical school. Trouba is not consenting to going to Toronto. There is no precedent for that kind of move. Why bring it up?
    Yup. It's utterly a waste of time even mentioning it.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Too much of a risk imo if it's covid long haul and it's already cost him the entire season and he's still recovering. I would think at this point he could possibly be susceptible to related heart issues too as a result. Too much of an unknown still in my book to risk a big swing a miss, although I love the player he was prior and I guess at some point still might be. I'm ok with finding that out from a distance.
    This is kind of a ridiculous statement don't you think? What is your profession to make such a prognosis. Even if you were the best doctor on earth wouldn't you need to examine the person to know if he had heart issues from Covid? The Rangers have doctors to make such an examination before dealing for him. I'm ok with the actual doctors making the call on whether the risk is worth it.

Next question, (I haven’t watched) but how has PLD been in Winnipeg?

Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast