Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Could Be the New York Rangers New Head Coach?

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I guess a grittier roster fits Quinn’s style better, so I guess Drury will be making moves over the summer

We’ll see if a roster built in a way aligned by the GM and coach is an improvement, or if Quinn is just a bad coach who can’t maximize his talent and adjust his system to fit the players he has

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    There have been too many nights after losses when the top 2 lines held a prettiest pass competition, followed by Quinn talking in the postgame about the need for more north/south, getting shots on net, getting to the net, winning puck battles. No matter who the coach or GM is, that has to be resolved to more of Quinn's stated ideal. Entirely plausible in a less division-heavy schedule the Rangers could eke out a playoff berth next year. And may be Davidson and Gorton said as much to Dolan. But even if this year's schedule was an abberation, not much has changed since the debacle vs. the Canes last summer. They aren't winning anything with the current approach.

Davidson was the voice of the Rangers on TV for 2 decades. He was part of an historic and unexpected Cup run in 1979. And that holds a lot of goodwill with fans. But recall when he left/was fired by both the Blues and Blue Jackets, those teams improved. It also has to be said when the clear issues with roster construction were exposed last summer, they were not addressed.

Gorton on balance was up and down. Fox and Panarin fell in his lap. The Anderson pick and McDonagh trade were debacles. The Nash trade a steal. The jury is out on Kravstov, Laffy and Kakko, but so far so good.

Suspect the bigger problem is how much $ the Rangers are paying out to players who were not on the roster. How is it they didn't have an inkling about Lundqvist's heart issues, which could have given cap relief. Shattenkirk's contract hurts. And while DeAngelo may be jerk, question must have been asked, if he's such a jerk, why did NYR re-sign him? NYR leading the NHL in dead cap space year after year is not good management. Dolan cannot be happy with any of that.
    Last edited by Bugg; 05-06-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    "NYR leading the NHL in dead cap space year after year is not good management."

Understatement of the century IMO. The free-spending days have long since past and Rangers management are still dancing like it's 1999. How do you change that? Clean house in the E-suite? Let's hope this new wrinkle works but it will still take a little more time to clear the balance sheet.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    There have been too many nights after losses when the top 2 lines held a prettiest pass competition, followed by Quinn talking in the postgame about the need for more north/south, getting shots on net, getting to the net, winning puck battles. No matter who the coach or GM is, that has to be resolved to more of Quinn's stated ideal. Entirely plausible in a less division-heavy schedule the Rangers could eke out a playoff berth next year. And may be Davidson and Gorton said as much to Dolan. But even if this year's schedule was an abberation, not much has changed since the debacle vs. the Canes last summer. They aren't winning anything with the current approach.

Davidson was the voice of the Rangers on TV for 2 decades. He was part of an historic and unexpected Cup run in 1979. And that holds a lot of goodwill with fans. But recall when he left/was fired by both the Blues and Blue Jackets, those teams improved. It also has to be said when the clear issues with roster construction were exposed last summer, they were not addressed.

Gorton on balance was up and down. Fox and Panarin fell in his lap. The Anderson pick and McDonagh trade were debacles. The Nash trade a steal. The jury is out on Kravstov, Laffy and Kakko, but so far so good.

Suspect the bigger problem is how much $ the Rangers are paying out to players who were not on the roster. How is it they didn't have an inkling about Lundqvist's heart issues, which could have given cap relief. Shattenkirk's contract hurts. And while DeAngelo may be jerk, question must have been asked, if he's such a jerk, why did NYR re-sign him? NYR leading the NHL in dead cap space year after year is not good management. Dolan cannot be happy with any of that.
    Davidson left the Blues in a cost cutting measure from new ownership group.

Those teams improved after he left because of the work he did while he was there.

Any way you slice it, letting JD go was just an irrational tantrum from Dolan. Gorton I can understand since Drury was the heir apparent. Not sure he's ready to do both jobs.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Those teams improved after he left because of the work he did while he was there.

Any way you slice it, letting JD go was just an irrational tantrum from Dolan. Gorton I can understand since Drury was the heir apparent. Not sure he's ready to do both jobs.
    You cannot prove this. Noone can. It is just as plausible that Dolan wanted to fire Gorton, but JD hitched his wagon to Gorton and was standing in the way. That wouldn't have been a tantrum.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    "NYR leading the NHL in dead cap space year after year is not good management."

Understatement of the century IMO. The free-spending days have long since past and Rangers management are still dancing like it's 1999. How do you change that? Clean house in the E-suite? Let's hope this new wrinkle works but it will still take a little more time to clear the balance sheet.
    How has the dead cap affected us at all this year? It didn't prevent us from signing anyone, or re-signing anyone. We're going from $13mil in dead cap to $4mil next season, and $2.5mil the year after that. It's a moot point and non-issue.
    If you remember Cash or Czech?, do you remember my password?

I'd really rather have a more experienced back office person be there to hold Drury's hand instead of him running the show solo.

How has the dead cap affected us at all this year? It didn't prevent us from signing anyone, or re-signing anyone. We're going from $13mil in dead cap to $4mil next season, and $2.5mil the year after that. It's a moot point and non-issue.
    Except the owner is in fact writing those checks. And doing so in a year with a mostly empty arena.

Unless you were at MSG in Dolan's office for the last 2 years or you tapped his phone, this is total speculation. May be, but we don't know. We all have an idea what the issues were, but how it got to yesterday's decisions, no concrete idea.

Senior Member Squirt Division Dr. Jimmy's Avatar
    I'd really rather have a more experienced back office person be there to hold Drury's hand instead of him running the show solo.
    Sather

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jimmy View Post
    Sather
    That really worked for us in the 2000s

Except the owner is in fact writing those checks. And doing so in a year with a mostly empty arena.
    Dolan has never had an issue with the buyouts otherwise he wouldn’t have authorized the buyouts.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Unless you were at MSG in Dolan's office for the last 2 years or you tapped his phone, this is total speculation. May be, but we don't know. We all have an idea what the issues were, but how it got to yesterday's decisions, no concrete idea.
    Only thing I can think of is that to sell the rebuild (or retool as they called it I think) they said they would be back in playoff contention in x amount of years... Maybe time ran out + a mix of other things (deangelo, that caps game, etc..)

Dolan has never had an issue with the buyouts otherwise he wouldn’t have authorized the buyouts.

So you know for a fact in a year the team is bleeding $ he was totally cool paying DeAngelo about $13 million 5 games into a 2 year contract. And he wasn't displeased Lundqvist's coronary situation was known to the Rangers front office (and recall the Rangers have said they knew about it, though not to the extent as became known, which can happen) and that money could have come off the books. Grant you on the latter, hindsight is 20/20.

Dolan could not have been happy to write those checks.

Not discussing DeAngelo's insubordinate stupidity. But as a simple math problem, the owner could not have been happy. And probably asked 1. why did we re-sign him; 2. could this have been handled differently and 3. were there any trade options. And those are all reasonable questions.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    We have people here who put words in players and coaches mouths, and speculate the our coach was scared of their coach last night, but I can't say firing JD was irrational? K.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Approximately 104.6% of this stuff on the board is "speculation"... I do find the "speculation" Pete is offering to be more than plausible based on years of anecdotal evidence of the big guy routinely acting like emotional 13 year old since Daddy gave him MSG to run.

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    There would be one guiding principle here for Drury, and that is whether he believes Quinn has the right stuff to lead the Rangers to the Stanley Cup. That’s it. If the answer is no, there is no reason to dally. That would be the case even if Arizona’s Rick Tocchet were not looming as a free agent.
    https://nypost.com/2021/05/05/why-ra...n-jeff-gorton/
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

So you know for a fact in a year the team is bleeding $ he was totally cool paying DeAngelo about $13 million 5 games into a 2 year contract. And he wasn't displeased Lundqvist's coronary situation was known to the Rangers front office (and recall the Rangers have said they knew about it, though not to the extent as became known, which can happen) and that money could have come off the books. Grant you on the latter, hindsight is 20/20.

Dolan could not have been happy to write those checks.

Not discussing DeAngelo's insubordinate stupidity. But as a simple math problem, the owner could not have been happy. And probably asked 1. why did we re-sign him; 2. could this have been handled differently and 3. were there any trade options. And those are all reasonable questions.
    The owner could've told Gorton and Quinn to play DeAngelo. But he didn't, did he? Enough with the conspiracy theories.

Senior Member Squirt Division Dr. Jimmy's Avatar
    That really worked for us in the 2000s

I'm not saying I'm behind that at all, just that like it or not Slats is behind the curtain helping call, if not outright calling, the shots.

#68 Яромир Ягр BSBH Prospect

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Karan View Post
    Negative...

https://twitter.com/SaraCivian/statu...28917591920645

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast