Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Artemi Panarin Suffers Lower-Body Injury; Out for Remainder of Season

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    I think it's why JD/Gorton drafted guys like Cuylle and Robertson and traded up to get Schneider. They know the Rangers need it and I expect them to dip into free agency to address it as well. You beat me to it on the Rolfe scenario. The Rangers, overall, have never really been known for their physicality. Historically they've been built based upon skill and speed.
    It's time though I think, Sharpy. We can't have teams tearing up these kids, and body slamming our $11 million dollar players.

I think NHL is going to dictate what direction we go in here....and I don't mind bringing in an "insurance policy".

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Oh, I don't disagree with the sentiment, and you know that. I just disagree that in this instance either of them would actually have made a tangible difference. Right attitude, wrong size.
    I know.

What I am trying to say, is that, when you get to where it was last night - it's too late. It's been a problem we've wanted corrected... and it just keeps building against them.

Having a Lemieux is better than having nothing.
    And I'd much rather have Glass, Dorsett, Lemieux get ragdolled than Panarin.
    Last edited by josh; 05-04-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I know.

What I am trying to say, is that, when you get to where it was last night - it's too late. It's been a problem we've wanted corrected... and it just keeps building against them.

Having a Lemieux is better than having nothing.
    And I'd much rather have Glass, Dorsett, Lemieux get ragdolled than Panarin.
    I mean, yes, but that's not really apples-to-apples. Wilson doesn't respect "the code" and he plays too high in the lineup for a Glass, Dorsett, or Lemieux to get rag-dolled instead of Panarin. The value of these types of players is that they are willing to do something about it when it happens, which can lift the team's spirits instead of what we saw last night, which was a 3-2 lead evaporate to a 6-3 loss with Wilson of all people scoring the final goal.

"Now they know they own you."
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    It's time though I think, Sharpy. We can't have teams tearing up these kids, and body slamming our $11 million dollar players.

I think NHL is going to dictate what direction we go in here....and I don't mind bringing in an "insurance policy".
    For sure, and I think it's absolutely part of the plan.

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    At some point, if the league won't step in, there isn't much the Rangers or other teams can do about this, short of going back to the enforcer system, stocking the roster with goons, and having regular donnybrooks. If that's what the league wants, that's what it will get. The fact that the Caps laughed it all off and Wilson hammed it up in the box should certainly be considered in assessing punishment. It won't. After all, boys will be boys. They sucker punch guys lying face down on the ice. They grab guys by the hair and slam them to the ice. It's just boys. Let the boys play.

As for Wilson, bringing in goons to fight him won't deter him. He does pretty well in bouts with goons. The only thing to do is suspend him for a year, as the league once did with Ted Green long ago. Also, watch the players association come to Wilson's defense. Who are Buchnevich and Panarin? Are they members? Nah.
    Agree with most of this. Only thing I don't is that Tom Wilson would have a tough time against an actual heavyweight. They don't exist anymore. I do believe that the Rangers should have somebody in their system that plays the goon role and is a heavyweight. They obviously need guys that play every night that can at least stand up and fight back.

The Rangers should seriously be signing the biggest animal in hockey they can find right now just for 1 game. And that is not to go after Wilson. They should go after Ovi or Backstrom or Carlson if any play. That is the only thing that will stop this. When Wilson's teammates don't want anything to do with him, this stops. Obviously suspensions do nothing to change his behavior.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    The letter starts like this:

Dear Mr. Reeves:

(Fill in the rest, Mr. Gorton)
    LOL

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Yeah, they should have had DeAngelo on the ice so we'd have had three players get their asses handed to them by Tom Wilson instead of two!

Guy loses a one-punch fight with his backup goalie and we're bringing this back up in a thread around an opponent crossing a line that gets crossed like once a decade in the league. As if somehow not planning for an opponent having a psychotic breakdown on the ice is the fault of anyone but the player who had the breakdown.

Deterrence DOES NOT WORK with this guy. He'd have done this to Mark Stone, even if Reaves was right there. He'd have done it to Gaudreau even with Tkachuk. Pretending anything changes that outcome is folly.
    Question. Do suspensions? So if this guy is going to play in your division what is your idea to protect your players? The only thing that will possibly get through is an eye for an eye. Not his eye but his star teammates. Do you really think the Caps are going to condone this shit if his actions are equally reciprocated on Ovis's head? Suspensions don't put the pieces of a fractured skull back together. At that point the damage is done. If Panarin was seriously injured last night these conversations wouldn't even matter right now. The conversation would be how did the NHL let this guy get to this point. It's obvious this guy will not change from suspensions. Minus him being banned for life which is never happening. The Rangers have to have a deterrent and the Caps have to be given some old school medicine.

The guys on their bench feel invincible because they have the biggest baddest guy out there. That needs to be flipped;. The guys on their bench need to feel uneasy that somebody is going to do them what their teammate does. Tom Wilson's presence should make Ovi less safe not more.

Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    Suspensions would work if they actually had teeth. But the NHL and NHLPA have collectively bargained rules that allow for suspensions to carry almost no weight.

The fact that Tom Wilson was not considered a "repeat offender" when he received his 5th suspension a few months ago is evidence of that.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    Question. Do suspensions? So if this guy is going to play in your division what is your idea to protect your players? The only thing that will possibly get through is an eye for an eye. Not his eye but his star teammates. Do you really think the Caps are going to condone this shit if his actions are equally reciprocated on Ovis's head? Suspensions don't put the pieces of a fractured skull back together. At that point the damage is done. If Panarin was seriously injured last night these conversations wouldn't even matter right now. The conversation would be how did the NHL let this guy get to this point. It's obvious this guy will not change from suspensions. Minus him being banned for life which is never happening. The Rangers have to have a deterrent and the Caps have to be given some old school medicine.
    Honestly? They're hit or miss. Sometimes they work (Marchand comes to mind, as does Radko Gudas, Shawn Thornton, a few others) and players learn to play within bounds. Sometimes they don't - case in point here. I don't see enough to believe that eye for an eye works here - in part because Tom Wilson doesn't actually respond to deterrents, and in part because as I said earlier, this is a (thankfully) quite rare thing we're talking about, and it's gotten rarer as DOPS has made it clear that this level of on-ice violence isn't acceptable. Aside from Tom Wilson - who else is doing this shit on the regular? It's working well enough.

That said- a deterrent doesn't make Wilson not snap. It might make the rest of the bench feel a bit more scared when he does, but even then - do you really want to have our guy go out there and do to Backstrom what Wilson did to Panarin? I don't. That's bush league thug shit.

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    Suspensions would work if they actually had teeth. But the NHL and NHLPA have collectively bargained rules that allow for suspensions to carry almost no weight.

The fact that Tom Wilson was not considered a "repeat offender" when he received his 5th suspension a few months ago is evidence of that.
    This. If they were structured like, say, the MLB, where you can legitimately see guys lose entire seasons for misconduct, it'd be a different story.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie

That's probably more to the point - the NHL and NHLPA take more sympathy on the offender than the victim.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Nothing would've stopped Panarin getting ragdolled anyway because whatever 4th line tough guy plug we had wouldn't be on the ice in that situation anyway. Wilson's not gonna think "oh no Georges Laraque is gonna come after me if I sucker punch Buchnevich and then wreck Panarin's day" anyway.

Trouba or Lindgren would've been those guys if they weren't out. I was expecting Brendan Smith to be that guy sometime the rest of the game, instead he made a slick cross-ice pass to assist the GWG.
    If you remember Cash or Czech?, do you remember my password?

Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Nothing would've stopped Panarin getting ragdolled anyway because whatever 4th line tough guy plug we had wouldn't be on the ice in that situation anyway. Wilson's not gonna think "oh no Georges Laraque is gonna come after me if I sucker punch Buchnevich and then wreck Panarin's day" anyway.

Trouba or Lindgren would've been those guys if they weren't out. I was expecting Brendan Smith to be that guy sometime the rest of the game, instead he made a slick cross-ice pass to assist the GWG.
    Right, but his point is you don't go after Wilson. You go after Ovi.

And to that I say... Good luck lol

Senior Member Midget Division
    not getting my hopes up here. just saw the recap on nhl tonight. hardly anything was said about it on the recap.

cant be a little bit pregnant on this. either you bring back the goons and slow the game down (which i really think some neanderthals that run this league really want) or you get this type of shit once and for all out of the game and sell the skill. You did just get two new t.v. contacts... think the skill level had something to do with it... what do you think.
    Acqua in bocca

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division

Ovi could probably beat the shit out of Wilson and Trouba at the same time.
    If you remember Cash or Czech?, do you remember my password?

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

Ovi can handle himself pretty well. Who on the Rangers can even take Ovi? Maybe Brendan Smith.

Senior Member Mite Division Lord Al's Avatar
    The thing is Wilson played the third and no Ranger went near him. Nothing.not a bump or a stick .

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

#68 Яромир Ягр BSBH Prospect

Yeah, no Ovi ain't allowing himself to get manhandled by anyone, Wilson around or not. You go after their best forward: Backstrom.

Senior Member Mite Division Lord Al's Avatar
    Washington Capitals forward Tom Wilson has been fined $5,000 for his role in Monday's skirmish versus the New York Rangers, the NHL's Department of Player Safety announced.

Wilson was given four minutes for roughing and a 10-minute misconduct after punching Pavel Buchnevich and slamming Artemi Panarin to the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

#68 Яромир Ягр BSBH Prospect
    lol What a joke.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast