Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shake Up Coming After No Show

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I dont think so. Ideally, you want 4 lines, and this team will have the depth to put skilled forwards there. You need guys that can play, or else its more Kravtsov with Rooney and Howden.
    Isn't Kravstov with Howden exactly "depth to put skilled forwards there?"

We don't need, nor want skilled guys on the 4th line. We need heavy guys who can chip the puck deep and smash the opposing defense, and keep the puck out of our own end for a minute. Howden and Rooney's shifts are generally pinned in their own end with a rush the other way at the end of the shift. Players like Martin give the team a different look on the 4th line.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I think there's a possibility that the Rangers make a deal this summer that looks like a "downgrade" on paper but boosts the overall team game. Chytil for instance, I think, is a good candidate to get traded for a meatier player who can do more.
    get to know Nolan Patrick.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Basically .....That's Messier!
    It's Messier, Ted Lindsay...that's about it.

Of course, you can make a few changes and get elements from multiple players, but there's not a magic bullet player out there.

Isn't Kravstov with Howden exactly "depth to put skilled forwards there?"

We don't need, nor want skilled guys on the 4th line. We need heavy guys who can chip the puck deep and smash the opposing defense, and keep the puck out of our own end for a minute. Howden and Rooney's shifts are generally pinned in their own end with a rush the other way at the end of the shift. Players like Martin give the team a different look on the 4th line.
    yeah, do you like that? lol

you want heavy guys throughout the line up. If you stack 3 lines, I'm fine with a goon line that rarely plays. Now, is that realistic?

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    The hard part of this is identifying the player that steps in and does it. We're almost assuredly looking for a two-way center who can go toe-to-toe with Strome's production and makes us gritty and tough?

Might as well be looking for unicorn cum in Eritrea.
    You don't need somebody who is going to equal Strome's production. You need somebody who can equal Strome's ice time. Of course you are looking for somebody who isn't Howden. A guy with some offensive abilities but most importantly can take the tough matchups and play a straight line game that competes for every inch of 200 feet.

Strome surely benefits a lot from Panarin. He's not solely reliant on him but his production would surely drop by probably 20 pts over 82 games without him. His likely demotion to the second pp will also cause a big drop. He will be dropped because Laffy and Kakko no less Kravtsov are going to see pp time. Some of them 1st pp time minutes.

Aside from that Strome is constantly heralded as one of the leaders of the team. Meaning what? For what I can see their leadership is a big part of the problem. Hell Kreider and Strome's lack of discipline and lazy penalties have plagued this team forever. I don't know how they communicate in the locker room but their example on the ice is not exactly great leadership.

Finally I would also imagine some of Strome's lost production would be made up on the wing. Laffy, Kakko, and Kravtsov are going to be 50 pt guys you would think which would be big increases in production from what they offer now. This team does not have a offensive talent shortage ahead of itself. It has a compete problem and that is squarely on the vets in the room.

yeah, do you like that? lol

you want heavy guys throughout the line up. If you stack 3 lines, I'm fine with a goon line that rarely plays. Now, is that realistic?
    Who said anything about a goon line? They need a forth line who actually knows how to win faceoffs, forecheck, hit people, and wear down the opposing D in their own end.

They also need heavy guys throughout the lineup. It's not one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    It's Messier, Ted Lindsay...that's about it.

Of course, you can make a few changes and get elements from multiple players, but there's not a magic bullet player out there.
    maybe they get a stop-gap like Getzlaf.
    Similar to how Toronto grabbed Thornton.

Who said anything about a goon line? They need a forth line who actually knows how to win faceoffs, forecheck, hit people, and wear down the opposing D in their own end.

They also need heavy guys throughout the lineup. It's not one or the other.
    As I mentioned, they should continue to have enough skilled guys where someone will be on the 4th line. Do you really want a line of Howden-Rooney-Kravtsov to common?

I think there's a possibility that the Rangers make a deal this summer that looks like a "downgrade" on paper but boosts the overall team game. Chytil for instance, I think, is a good candidate to get traded for a meatier player who can do more.
    Any scenario in my head where I try to upgrade the team by moving someone, Chytil is the the guy to go. Makes the most sense.

As I mentioned, they should continue to have enough skilled guys where someone will be on the 4th line. Do you really want a line of Howden-Rooney-Kravtsov to common?
    I have no idea what your point is. You saying you want skilled guys to trickle down to the 4th line (which is what we have right now with Kravstov on the 4th line) and then saying you don't want Kravstov on the 4th line.

If you want real change ZIb or Strome have to go. The Rangers are incredibly soft down the middle. Chytil too but Chytil gets half their ice time now and is still a pup who already has more power in his stride than those two combined. He's lacking intensity but moving him doesn't fix your problem. Your top two centers get the lion share of ice time and play the toughest matchups and when those matchups aren't a track meet they lose every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    If you want real change ZIb or Strome have to go. The Rangers are incredibly soft down the middle. Chytil too but Chytil gets half their ice time now and is still a pup who already has more power in his stride than those two combined. He's lacking intensity but moving him doesn't fix your problem. Your top two centers get the lion share of ice time and play the toughest matchups and when those matchups aren't a track meet they lose every time.
    Yea but where the hell do you get a #1 center then? This is the firs time in I cant remember how long the rangers have an actual 1C, soft or not you keep him.

Even Eichel straight up for Zib... does Eichel make this team any better? I am legitimately asking. From what I have seen he is soft-ish too.

I have no idea what your point is. You saying you want skilled guys to trickle down to the 4th line (which is what we have right now with Kravstov on the 4th line) and then saying you don't want Kravstov on the 4th line.
    I'm saying Martin isn't skilled enough for this team. Adding a Martin, although they need someone like that, takes too much away from the line being productive - especially when you'll see a plethora of young, skilled forwards used on the 4th line moving forward.

Martin hitting and punching people is cool and all, but it doesnt help develop (for example) Kravtsov when they are playing on a line together.
    It's essentially what we saw with Lemieux being ineffective as an NHL player this season. Except taller.

Shit as a stop gap I'd take Tyler Johnson to replace Strome. He's got plenty of offensive ability to play with Panarin and he's a competitive motherfucker even a little cheap. Regardless he has a Dominic Moore drive to him, where he's tough to like unless he's on your team. By no means am I saying he's the answer but certainly he's an available center who would check some boxes in being harder to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    They don't want change for change sake. They want to build on what they have, which is a super talented team. Change will happen but you're talking about trading all three centers lol. That's not gonna happen, nor should it.

Quote Originally Posted by siddious View Post
    Yea but where the hell do you get a #1 center then? This is the firs time in I cant remember how long the rangers have an actual 1C, soft or not you keep him.

Even Eichel straight up for Zib... does Eichel make this team any better? I am legitimately asking. From what I have seen he is soft-ish too.

You trade one or the other, not both. The one that remains centers your scoring line flanked by Panarin. The guy you bring in is your matchup center. The guy playing opposite, Barzal, Crosby, Ovi, Laine, Bergeron, Eichel, etc. That guy doesn't have to score a point per game. He needs to break even on most nights playing against the best players in the league. His line does that the Rangers will win a ton of games.

They don't want change for change sake. They want to build on what they have, which is a super talented team. Change will happen but you're talking about trading all three centers lol. That's not gonna happen, nor should it.

What part of OR does not compute. I would trade any of the three and the return would differ for each. That means though if I trade ZIb, Strome is off the table and vice versa. My original post had ZIb and Chytil traded but Strome staying. To be fair I don't view Chytil as a center either. He's a center in name only, he inadequate in everything a center should do. He's a much better suited to the wing
    Last edited by Capt; 04-30-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by siddious View Post
    I don't think Gorton and JD are oblivious to the fact that this is a soft, one trick team. If you look at what they drafted last year they are obviously trying to beef it up going forward.

I think their logic is that you have to play the kids right now, which is the right decision. Unfortunately none of them, nor the other top 6 vets are actually hard bodies. Laf was supposed to have an edge to his game which I have yet to see. Kreider is defining a whole new generation of power-less forwards. And Strome, Panarin, Zib, are all skill guys.

But this goes beyond throwing hits and being tough. This team doesnt battle for the puck. Their board play is only good when they are able to make sneaky and quick passes but dump and chase is not their forte. They get knocked off way too easily and hardly if ever walk away from 50/50 battles. The easy fix to this is over hauling that 4th line as has been mentioned. Howden needs to go- simply doesnt add anything to the line up. Im all for keeping Rooney or Blackwell but not both unless one wants to sit most of the year. And for god sakes bring in someone who can win a faceoff.

As for the top 3 lines we all know someone will get moved sooner or later. I dont know who or how to approach this but I wouldnt be surprised of they gave that top 9 another year to see what sticks and what doesnt.
    i wouldnt mind keeping Zibby for now, he plays well with Buch and Kreider or Laf. Buch isnt soft, neither is Laf. My issue is with the second line. Panarian, Strome, and blackwell all are incredibly soft. i liked when Krav was on that line, he was not allergic to the battle on the boards like Strome and Panarin are. This is the problem line IMO. Since panarin wont be moved and blackwell should be forgotten somewhere, Strome has to be the odd man out. Any center with some grit and who can shoot will get his points playing with Panarin.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    I haven't filled my "Beat the MacKinnon drum once a week" quota yet, have I?

He becomes a Free agent after '22-'23....he'll also be 28 years old by then.
    We should be right on the verge of being a Cup contender, in theory....

I don't know how it would work with both Strome and Zibby's contracts ending after the '21-'22 (next) season, but I would absolutely LOVE to see the Rangers chase him down in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I haven't filled my "Beat the MacKinnon drum once a week" quota yet, have I?

He becomes a Free agent after '22-'23....he'll also be 28 years old by then.
    We should be right on the verge of being a Cup contender, in theory....

I don't know how it would work with both Strome and Zibby's contracts ending after the '21-'22 (next) season, but I would absolutely LOVE to see the Rangers chase him down in free agency.
    Iíll buy you 10 rounds at a bar of your choosing if he hits UFA status

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast