Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shake Up Coming After No Show

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    Why in the fuck if you are JD or Gorton would you allow the youngest roster in the league to enter the season without any toughness, compete, or leadership? Just the fact that you have multiple guys trying to get comfortable in the league you should have some guys out there to stand up for them. Again not fighting but some guys who can push back. They are in a division with the Bruins, Islanders and Tom Wilson and the Caps. That alone is malpractice. Tom Wilson and Matt Martin run around every time we play them and have for years. That only seems normal because the Rangers have allowed it to become normal. That is insane. Protect your kids and their development. Not to mention put them in to a team environment where there is always pushback. Losing games happen and having bad seasons can happen too. You cannot have a culture of being a pushover team.

Discipline should start with how a player competes and his desire to win. As soon as a players battle level drops is the exact time when a benching should occur. Avoid going to the net costs you ice time not gets you 2 full minutes on the power play. The only coach that understood that in the past 20 years was Torts. Torts built the success that AV benefited from then gradually destroyed. It's time to bring in another no nonsense coach players be damned. Along with the coach be prepared for a roster makeover that takes a couple of years.
    To be fair, they did go after Chara hard, and likely others, for exactly this reason, but the coach can really only use what he's been given to use. Composition issues are a front office problem.

To be honest bring back Torts.
    Would. If for no other reason than to drill into everyone that structure fucking matters. Say what you will about how far he took clubs, shelf lives, and all that — Torts teams rarely took nights off, and on the ones they did, players paid for it.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    The hard part of this is identifying the player that steps in and does it. We're almost assuredly looking for a two-way center who can go toe-to-toe with Strome's production and makes us gritty and tough?

Might as well be looking for unicorn cum in Eritrea.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Yeah, Torts was brought in at a time where more structure was needed, I think. That time has reared its ugly head again here. Will it actually happen? Who knows.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    Why in the fuck if you are JD or Gorton would you allow the youngest roster in the league to enter the season without any toughness, compete, or leadership? Just the fact that you have multiple guys trying to get comfortable in the league you should have some guys out there to stand up for them. Again not fighting but some guys who can push back. They are in a division with the Bruins, Islanders and Tom Wilson and the Caps. That alone is malpractice. Tom Wilson and Matt Martin run around every time we play them and have for years. That only seems normal because the Rangers have allowed it to become normal. That is insane. Protect your kids and their development. Not to mention put them in to a team environment where there is always pushback. Losing games happen and having bad seasons can happen too. You cannot have a culture of being a pushover team.

Discipline should start with how a player competes and his desire to win. As soon as a players battle level drops is the exact time when a benching should occur. Avoid going to the net costs you ice time not gets you 2 full minutes on the power play. The only coach that understood that in the past 20 years was Torts. Torts built the success that AV benefited from then gradually destroyed. It's time to bring in another no nonsense coach players be damned. Along with the coach be prepared for a roster makeover that takes a couple of years.

To be honest bring back Torts.
    Not disagreeing with you on anything here. Quinn's benchings have lost all effect, it just seems like hes trying to be a hard ass but its not being done effectively. I am not sure who was on the market last season that could have added toughness and fit under the cap but generally I agree with everything you're saying.

Though I dont see Torts coming back.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Cuylle and Berard both have really good upside for bottom six type players. I think they'll be solid.
    It's not even about being bottom 6 guys, its about being complementary players. If Cuylle can work himself up to a line with a passer, that shots going to be key.
    And Berard (probably a bit further away after being overhyped at the WJCs) could come in and do the same on one of the top 3 lines. The Rangers have so much talent, its key that a few of these in-your-face players crack the lineup in the future.

Hopefully they can get closer to what we thought we'd see with Nieves (2nd rd pick) and Andersson.
    Last edited by josh; 04-30-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    The hard part of this is identifying the player that steps in and does it. We're almost assuredly looking for a two-way center who can go toe-to-toe with Strome's production and makes us gritty and tough?

Dubois. Wasn't that hard. And I didn't even have to touch the stuff.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Faceoffs have been bad for years, but I think they may have hit a new low this year, which is saying something. It's been neglected for quite some time.
    And I just don't get why it's so bad and I know it's not always on the centers on winning the faceoffs the linemates need to help out, but they just suck
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Rangers are not built for playoff hockey. They feast on wide open spaces and seam passes, two things that simply don't exist in the playoffs (or in our case, against a playoff team).

They're not physical enough and therefore they don't create room for themselves. This has been the case since the bubble when we were embarrassed in 3 straight that looked an awful lot like last night.

Rangers brass isn't stupid though. They knew this wasn't a playoff team. That's why they have Kravstov on the 4th line and not Matt Martin. This summer will be the summer of change. Next season they will be expected to make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    And the Jets are trading him...why?

Whittle down the "won't be moved", "plays for divisional rival", etc - it's a real small list of players.

He has the same number of points as.... Chytil

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Rangers are not built for playoff hockey. They feast on wide open spaces and seam passes, two things that simply don't exist in the playoffs (or in our case, against a playoff team).
    Yes

They're not physical enough and therefore they don't create room for themselves. This has been the case since the bubble when we were embarrassed in 3 straight that looked an awful lot like last night. .
    Yes

Rangers brass isn't stupid though. They knew this wasn't a playoff team. That's why they have Kravstov on the 4th line and not Matt Martin. This summer will be the summer of change. Next season they will be expected to make the playoffs.
    Yes, but I don't see any change with the head coach which I'm okay with that for now.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

And the Jets are trading him...why?

Whittle down the "won't be moved", "plays for divisional rival", etc - it's a real small list of players.
    I'll amend this. The list is "Anthony Cirelli"

Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    Yes

Yes

Yes, but I don't see any change with the head coach which I'm okay with that for now.
    I don't see Quinn getting the can. But if the team is hovering around .500 again for the first two months like they have in every one of Quinn's seasons, he'll be out. I'd be shocked if there weren't big moves this summer and bigger expectations next season

I'll amend this. The list is "Anthony Cirelli"
    And then you accidentally stumbled here https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/22554

Not saying we need a fighter, but they need a fucking big dude that plays bigger.

We should have signed Matt Martin. I said it over the summer. I still think it's true. He's an expensive 4th liner but he's basically exactly what they need at the bottom of the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He has the same number of points as.... Chytil
    0.54 P/GP, down from back-to-back 0.70+ seasons with Columbus. I trust his upside a helluva lot more than I do the idea that Chytil will ever reach the same heights.

Here's a crazier stat — they're the same size, but you'd never believe it, because Chytil plays like he's 5'8, 170lbs.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    And then you accidentally stumbled here https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/22554

Not saying we need a fighter, but they need a fucking big dude that plays bigger.
    The point stands that you're looking for a unicorn, you know? The guy we're asking for here is a truly rare talent - can score at a point a game, win faceoffs, play all situations, is a mean, nasty motherfucker who makes space and commands the ice.

Forget right now - how many players have EVER fit this bill? Maybe 10?

The obvious call here is to sacrifice Strome's offense for something else, but the sort of player we're asking for is an exceedingly rare player.

We should have signed Matt Martin. I said it over the summer. I still think it's true. He's an expensive 4th liner but he's basically exactly what they need at the bottom of the lineup.
    I dont think so. Ideally, you want 4 lines, and this team will have the depth to put skilled forwards there. You need guys that can play, or else its more Kravtsov with Rooney and Howden.

0.54 P/GP, down from back-to-back 0.70+ seasons with Columbus. I trust his upside a helluva lot more than I do the idea that Chytil will ever reach the same heights.

Here's a crazier stat — they're the same size, but you'd never believe it, because Chytil plays like he's 5'8, 170lbs.
    I think there's a possibility that the Rangers make a deal this summer that looks like a "downgrade" on paper but boosts the overall team game. Chytil for instance, I think, is a good candidate to get traded for a meatier player who can do more.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division

The point stands that you're looking for a unicorn, you know? The guy we're asking for here is a truly rare talent - can score at a point a game, win faceoffs, play all situations, is a mean, nasty motherfucker who makes space and commands the ice.

Forget right now - how many players have EVER fit this bill? Maybe 10?

The obvious call here is to sacrifice Strome's offense for something else, but the sort of player we're asking for is an exceedingly rare player.
    Basically .....That's Messier!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast