Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 361 to 374 of 374

Thread: [RS] (#51) Rangers v. New York Islanders // A Little Bit Alexis

  1. #361
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    Capt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    18
    You can bring Scotty Bowman in here and it won't make a bit of difference if this roster makeup doesn't change. Way too many soft players, in fact do we have any that isn't soft. The toughest guy on the team is Lindrgren who's tough because he's good at taking a beating. That's not to excuse Quinn because he's clearly over his head but to me this problem is nothing new. JD and Gorton has failed this team miserably by not addressing the roster after last season's noncompetitive showing in the bubble. It's great to amass so much talent but it's way to much of the same thing. It's past time to bring in some guys who will play a man's game. Some meat and potatoes players. It's not about bringing in one guy. This has to be about a complete roster reconstruction. Have an actual fourth line. Have some guys in the top 6 that are hard to play against.

    Look this team top players are Fox, Panarin, and Zib. Everyone of them has been awful in these tigher games. All three of them have great numbers but disappear when the games ratchet up in physicality and structure. It's great to blame the coach and he is awful too. However what chance does this team have when their top 3 guys are no shows in these games? Fox for the Norris? Great. Why is nobody here asking what happened to our Norris trophy defenseman last night? Where was Panarin? How come Zib can score 12 goals in 3 games against a team who plays pond hockey so he's forgiven when he sucks when the opponent actually competes? The whole team was bad, he's playing with so and so, etc. etc. Excuses for these guys. Bottom line is actual Norris trophy winners, MVP candidates, and number 1 centers earn those titles because they produce and perform no matter the opponent. That's why they get paid 11 million a year. What our 19 year old kids are doing or Brett Howden's uselessness has zero to do with why this team looks so lost in these games. There is nobody on this roster who's capable of dragging anybody into the fight. There is nobody other than a previously waiver wired Brendan Smith willing to pay all the costs to win. When 90% of your roster is going to settle for the path of least resistance you are fucked. When your top players are the leaders in that mindset you are finished. You may entertain for parts of the season and even out skill opponents and put up 10 goals some nights. You may put up 12 points in two games distorting your season performance and fooling the video game generation.

    Fact is this team has a problem with it's top players. They don't need to rid themselves of all of them. However if I'm Gorton and JD I'm subtracting 2 from the top 6. To me anyway I'm starting with Zib
    ""

  2. #362
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,978
    Rep Power
    52
    im starting and finishing with the coach here, at least this season. Maybe one other player, but this starts with DQ unfortunately, who has done a below average job to this point, and very clearly is not equipped to get this team ready to win big games. Rod Brind'Amour coaches the Canes and has been a head coach in this league for just as long as DQ: https://www.hockey-reference.com/coa...rindro01c.html

    The product was pretty clear on the ice last year that there is a difference between a coach who knows what to do and a coach who doesn't, and this guy doesn't. It starts there, and I'm willing to give this roster another look with a real coach behind the bench, but after that change if there's another shitshow like this, then it's time to start thinking wholesale changes.

    An important thing to remember is that the young guys here are still very young, and they need these types of experiences to understand what it takes to win these games, but they also need a mentor/teacher for that and DQ is not the guy. Sorry but he has to go.

  3. #363
    Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Seaside Park NJ
    Posts
    3,178
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    You can bring Scotty Bowman in here and it won't make a bit of difference if this roster makeup doesn't change. Way too many soft players, in fact do we have any that isn't soft. The toughest guy on the team is Lindrgren who's tough because he's good at taking a beating. That's not to excuse Quinn because he's clearly over his head but to me this problem is nothing new. JD and Gorton has failed this team miserably by not addressing the roster after last season's noncompetitive showing in the bubble. It's great to amass so much talent but it's way to much of the same thing. It's past time to bring in some guys who will play a man's game. Some meat and potatoes players. It's not about bringing in one guy. This has to be about a complete roster reconstruction. Have an actual fourth line. Have some guys in the top 6 that are hard to play against.

    Look this team top players are Fox, Panarin, and Zib. Everyone of them has been awful in these tigher games. All three of them have great numbers but disappear when the games ratchet up in physicality and structure. It's great to blame the coach and he is awful too. However what chance does this team have when their top 3 guys are no shows in these games? Fox for the Norris? Great. Why is nobody here asking what happened to our Norris trophy defenseman last night? Where was Panarin? How come Zib can score 12 goals in 3 games against a team who plays pond hockey so he's forgiven when he sucks when the opponent actually competes? The whole team was bad, he's playing with so and so, etc. etc. Excuses for these guys. Bottom line is actual Norris trophy winners, MVP candidates, and number 1 centers earn those titles because they produce and perform no matter the opponent. That's why they get paid 11 million a year. What our 19 year old kids are doing or Brett Howden's uselessness has zero to do with why this team looks so lost in these games. There is nobody on this roster who's capable of dragging anybody into the fight. There is nobody other than a previously waiver wired Brendan Smith willing to pay all the costs to win. When 90% of your roster is going to settle for the path of least resistance you are fucked. When your top players are the leaders in that mindset you are finished. You may entertain for parts of the season and even out skill opponents and put up 10 goals some nights. You may put up 12 points in two games distorting your season performance and fooling the video game generation.

    Fact is this team has a problem with it's top players. They don't need to rid themselves of all of them. However if I'm Gorton and JD I'm subtracting 2 from the top 6. To me anyway I'm starting with Zib
    ""
    Almost agree entirely. None of the top three should get a pass, Fox was equally as guilty for disappearing. I fully agree Scotty Bowman doesn't coach any grit into this bunch either nor in my opinion does Quinn coach any grit out of it. They are who they are and that's a finesse pretty small boy team not built to succeed in playoff type hockey. They'll have a really solid regular season under normal circumstances with some gaudy numbers along the way and shit the bed when push comes to getting shoved around. Along with the wet paint signs maybe they can install the electric cattle fencing to at least force them a few feet off the walls.

    I think the problem is way bigger than one off season, I think they've kind of backed themselves into a corner in a pretty big way. Meaning if they unload a guy like Zib I don't see how they make up the offense. The talk of moving Kreider I find funny because of the NMC.

    Things could be worse no doubt about that they can be entertaining against a lot of teams in the league during the regular season on most nights. But imo they're missing something that can't be taught, I don't think they even showed a hint of it last night and that's mind numbing yet not surprising based on the makeup of the group and the eggs they've laid before.

    Firing Quinn is only one step in many that needs to happen.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 04-30-2021 at 11:18 AM.

  4. #364
    Senior Member Squirt Division
    Capt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Almost agree entirely. None of the top three should get a pass, Fox was equally as guilty for disappearing. I fully agree Scotty Bowman doesn't coach any grit into this bunch either nor in my opinion does Quinn coach any grit out of it. They are who they are and that's a finesse pretty small boy team not built to succeed in playoff type hockey. They'll have a really solid regular season under normal circumstances with some gaudy numbers along the way and shit the bed when push comes to getting shoved around. Along with the wet paint signs maybe they can install the electric cattle fencing to at least force them a few feet off the walls.

    I think the problem is way bigger than one off season, I think they've kind of backed themselves into a corner in a pretty big way. Meaning if they unload a guy like Zib I don't see how they make up the offense. The talk of moving Kreider I find funny because of the NMC.

    Things could be worse no doubt about that they can be entertaining against a lot of teams in the league during the regular season on most nights. But imo they're missing something that can't be taught, I don't think they even showed a hint of it last night and that's mind numbing yet not surprising based on the makeup of the group and the eggs they've laid before.

    Firing Quinn is only one step in many that needs to happen.
    I guess the question is does firing Quinn all of sudden cause these guys balls to drop and become men? Firing Quinn can get you some tactical and preparation benefits that no doubt would benefit this team. Competing and desire though is not something that is taught I don't think. Accountability of course is a directed by the coach and team leadership but desire is a personality trait. You either have it or you don't. Being confrontational is a natural thing as well. Way to many passive personalities on this team.

    From game 1 of this season to last night what has changed? Identical scores and identical efforts and compete against your biggest rival. Last night is 1000 times more damning because of the playoff implications. Last night nobody even got angry.

    I just don't see how the fundamental problem of personality and makeup of the individual players on this team is a Quinn problem. Unless you're bringing in a Torts type, who's going to demand toughness from everyone. I get that but in the end that will mean a mass shakeup of this roster because a guy like Torts is going to hate a lot of these rink turning, stay to the perimeter, pass always players. Of course you need some of those guys and even Torts recognizes that but shit you wouldn't have 10 guys left from this roster.

  5. #365
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,030
    Rep Power
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    There's absolutely no way Brooks DOESN'T read this forum!!!

    Jesus, he just reiterated pretty much all our banter from the past week.

    I hope he sends you royalties, Phil!!!
    are we like super geniuses or something that Brooks cant come up with this shit on his own? There's no rocket science to this, if you watch the games and i'm sure he does

  6. #366
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,303
    Rep Power
    79
    Can we all get writers jobs for the New York Post now?

  7. #367
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,030
    Rep Power
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Can we all get writers jobs for the New York Post now?
    no you, you dont have enough posts or rep here

  8. #368
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,303
    Rep Power
    79
    LOL Darn. Well, goals, man!

  9. #369
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,030
    Rep Power
    186
    you can have Dan Rosen's job though

  10. #370
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,303
    Rep Power
    79
    Baby steps.

  11. #371
    Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    3,970
    Rep Power
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    are we like super geniuses or something that Brooks cant come up with this shit on his own? There's no rocket science to this, if you watch the games and i'm sure he does
    It's all the cross talk as to what the hot topics are/were:

    Anything, Quinn...
    Being a soft team/team chemistry
    Georgiev sucking
    ..I dare mention that guy, you know who....and I won't do it!

    I've noticed that in a 3 or 4 day turn-around, Brooks pretty much uses our ammo for a lot of his material.

    Hey, at least he's staying current with "what's hot"! LOL

  12. #372
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    siddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,274
    Rep Power
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    are we like super geniuses or something that Brooks cant come up with this shit on his own? There's no rocket science to this, if you watch the games and i'm sure he does
    Just me and you Simon


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  13. #373
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,030
    Rep Power
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    It's all the cross talk as to what the hot topics are/were:

    Anything, Quinn...
    Being a soft team/team chemistry
    Georgiev sucking
    ..I dare mention that guy, you know who....and I won't do it!

    I've noticed that in a 3 or 4 day turn-around, Brooks pretty much uses our ammo for a lot of his material.

    Hey, at least he's staying current with "what's hot"! LOL
    Unless you see Brooks mention Pete, i think its safe to assume Brooks gets his material from twitter

  14. #374
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,030
    Rep Power
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by siddious View Post
    Just me and you Simon


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    lol...agreed

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •