Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Targets to Break the Rangers' Homogeneity?

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I mean, there's a ton I would say about this, but it's just repeating.
    The kids should have been getting ice time early on, and when someone goes down, it's easy for someone to step in.
    Zibanejad should not have been getting ice time.
    Then, when you get to these crunch-time games, kids have more experience & confidence, Zibanejad has more left in the tank, etc.

I think people are severely underestimating, or simply forgetting, how these poor decisions trickle-down. Especially with the inconsistent lack of accountability top players are held to.
    Nobody is underestimating or forgetting any of this - there's no evidence to support any of that aside from "Zibanejad should not have been getting ice time", which again - who are you putting there in his stead?

The kids shouldn't have been playing over any of the usual suspects early on - they hadn't earned that space and in many cases were not playing at an NHL level. The kids are plenty confident now. Our veterans don't look like they've got nothing in the tank.

I don't understand where this is coming from.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I agree with you, Josh.

Quinn shouldn't be getting credit for decisions he stumbled into when basically the entire fucking world wanted these things to happen months ago.

Don't forget DQ decided that actually Shesterkin shouldn't be the starter for this team, and actually we have a goaltending battle even though the very reason Hank was bought out was because Shesterkin proved he was the best goalie of the three, and actually if the goalie loses a game, he shouldn't play again until the other goalie loses.

You know who did this? My moronic high school coach. It's a high school coaching move (and apparently a college move too).

This decision in its own right kept Igor from getting in a groove, and should he have just kept the guy in the net he would have worked through his rust quicker and we'd probably be in the playoffs right now.

--

But the team is hot. Quinn won't be fired. And it's not because he's a good coach, it's because the team saved his bacon. It's because something happened when the Hartford crew came up and something changed that has carried over to the rest of the season. I would be absolutely shocked if there wasn't some kind of meeting between Knoblauch, Drury, Quinn, JD, and JG where they talked about what changed and why it worked.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Nobody is underestimating or forgetting any of this - there's no evidence to support any of that aside from "Zibanejad should not have been getting ice time", which again - who are you putting there in his stead?

The kids shouldn't have been playing over any of the usual suspects early on - they hadn't earned that space and in many cases were not playing at an NHL level. The kids are plenty confident now. Our veterans don't look like they've got nothing in the tank.

I don't understand where this is coming from.
    Anyone. He was really bad.
    Not saying it had to be long, or extensive. But the fact that Zibanejad 'skated' by, logging his 20+ mins a night is unacceptable. Bump him down to the 3rd line for a game. Move him off the 1st PP, that was a gimme. Again, it's not a season long move, but accountability. Gauthier gets sat for extended periods for a mistake, but Zibanejad gets his ice time increased.
    (Note: I've mentioned recently that Quinn has been much more lax, especially with Kravtsov and Lafreniere making some glaring mistakes, and Quinn putting them right back out there.)

Power play time, really. A few more goals for Kakko and Lafreniere early in the season could have done wonders. For the individual players, and the guys love when the kids score. Don't think that the rest of the team doesn't also feel the pressure of having top picks out there.
    Rest is for the entire season, not just game by game. Another example, I mentioned during the off-season about getting Kreider down to "3rd line minutes" (which, was not perceived well) but the point is to ensure he's healthy, and playing healthy hockey throughout the season. "On pace for" doesn't help when you are actually hurt during the final stretch of the season. Who knows, maybe Zibanejad would have 'recovered' sooner with a bit more rest, and turned it on much sooner.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Zibanejad is a 30-40 goal scorer that's been in the league for 9 years. Gauthier has 44 career games played. How are they comparable situations?

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Zibanejad is a 30-40 goal scorer that's been in the league for 9 years. Gauthier has 44 career games played. How are they comparable situations?
    They're not even on the same planet. Can't wait for Gauthier to prove he's still not worthy somewhere else next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    They're not even on the same planet. Can't wait for Gauthier to prove he's still not worthy somewhere else next season.
    He'll get a good opportunity in Seattle. That'll basically make or break his career.

Banned Junior Division
    why would Seattle take him? unless they need to stack their AHL team.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    why would Seattle take him? unless they need to stack their AHL team.
    They're basically going to be choosing between him, Howden, and DeAngelo. He's probably as good as any choice.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    They're basically going to be choosing between him, Howden, and DeAngelo. He's probably as good as any choice.
    I hope they don't take Howden

https://media.giphy.com/media/pvO8ugi72HKww/giphy.gif

Question: if they take howden, does Quinn automatically go with him?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    They aren't.

And folks have selective amnesia around Chytil being hurt while Zib was sucking. So folks are suggesting our middle should have been Strome, Rooney, Hiwden and what Zib on 4th line?

Tough look there.

Vally talks about it 50x a game - you cant expect the kids to see it when they see other guys getting away with it.
    "Watch Panarin hustle to the bench"

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Vally talks about it 50x a game - you cant expect the kids to see it when they see other guys getting away with it.
    "Watch Panarin hustle to the bench"
    Too true. Seen many times Panarin hot dog it to the bench.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    When was Zibenajad not giving the effort?

Ain't like he was ever coasting.

Dude he was straight up AWFUL in every aspect of the game for 2 months.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    No doubt, brutal... but that's not what gets a player like him benched.

Lack of effort is what you're talking about, with the line changes, no? Otherwise I don't see what hustling to the bench has to do with active recovery from covid.

If anything I'd say the fact that he stuck with Zib for so long is a good message to young players. The longer/better your track record is, the longer the leash you get. So start building a good track record.

Conversely, gifting ice time based on draft position or age sends an opposite message.

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    This composition gives them the ability to blow teams out of the water when they're on, but eliminates their ability to win games (consistently) when Zibanejad and/or Panarin are neutralized, leaving them particularly vulnerable to relentless fore-checking teams like the Islanders, Penguins, and Hurricanes.
    When he was asked about what this Rangers' team is missing during his weekly spot on the Post's 'Up in the Blueseats' podcast, Larry Brooks said this:

"They're too reliant on skill. They don't have enough grit in their lineup ... I'm not looking for them to get an energy player on their fourth line. I'm not looking for them to get an energy player on their third line. I'm looking for that kind of a player on their top two lines because their top two lines drive the team. They do. They're the team identity. When those guys are rolling, they're a very impressive team ... but when the Rangers run into teams that game plan against Panarin and Zibanejad and take away their time and space, the Rangers don't seem to be able to adapt. They don't have another trick up their sleeve. It's like 'we're going to beat you with talent or we're gonna lose.' It's one or the other. They don't have the ingredients to play another way."
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

I'd say 90% chance Strome or Buchnevich are gone this offseason. 50% chance both gone. It is clear to me the top 6 needs a complete jolt. One move isn't going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I'd say 90% chance Strome or Buchnevich are gone this offseason. 50% chance both gone. It is clear to me the top 6 needs a complete jolt. One move isn't going to do it.
    Im guessing Strome.

He's been good and I dont really want to start this conversation again, but Zib and Strome as 1-2 is incredibly soft.

Other than that and getting some grit on the 4th line, I think it will be fine. They're not really "gritty" players, but Kakko, Lafreniere and Kravtsov are all skilled players that can use the body well and play physical, but they're all still kids. Give them 1-3 years and I think they're all gonna be fine.

Then they need to get Kreider's head out of his ass and force him to play a tougher game as a 3rd liner.

Senior Member Midget Division
    If they're going to be in on Eichel or someone like that, I would put the percentages of both of them being gone much higher. But, yeah, 90% of either of them being moved is a safe bet, especially a Buchnevich who is going to be attractive to other teams as part of a center piece in a big trade.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast