Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Targets to Break the Rangers' Homogeneity?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Blake Coleman is a guy I want them to go after badly.

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    Nice player, but no idea where you play him. He's not a fourth-liner. I guess if you move Buch you can play him on the right and mix-and-match throughout the year between he, Kakko, and Kravtsov for who gets top-six minutes.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

I'm not worrying about that. He's a guy with skill who gets dirty and has an endless motor. You can never have enough of those guys.
    Last edited by Capt; 06-12-2021 at 10:37 PM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Nice player, but no idea where you play him. He's not a fourth-liner. I guess if you move Buch you can play him on the right and mix-and-match throughout the year between he, Kakko, and Kravtsov for who gets top-six minutes.
    But he could be your 3rd line center and you can use Chytil in the way you suggest using Coleman. You may also use Chytil in place of Strome.

Weird take. Is Strome a product of Quinn? Do the Rangers get the same output from him with a different coach? Zibanejad too? Buch? I hate to give credit to Quinn, but these guys did get their careers on track under Quinn. Will another coach get that output? Shit. Maybe they need to blow it up.

have we built a team or just assembled talent?

interesting question in my mind.
    Acqua in bocca

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    A bit of both. We’ve definitely assembled talent. At this point, we have to pick which of that talent stays (some more obvious than others) while carefully picking which pieces of our talent have to go in order to better round out the roster.

It’s not a bad position to be in. The Rangers have more than enough assets to go out and get exactly what they need. That isn’t the issue. The issue is figuring out what goes and what comes in. They have to hit on both aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    But he could be your 3rd line center and you can use Chytil in the way you suggest using Coleman. You may also use Chytil in place of Strome.

Weird take. Is Strome a product of Quinn? Do the Rangers get the same output from him with a different coach? Zibanejad too? Buch? I hate to give credit to Quinn, but these guys did get their careers on track under Quinn. Will another coach get that output? Shit. Maybe they need to blow it up.
    He's not a center. He's a winger who plays both sides but mostly the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    He's not a center. He's a winger who plays both sides but mostly the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Oh sorry, he's listed as a center everywhere. Thought he played center previously. Looking at his faceoff numbers early on they ate kinda meh, so I guess he was moved to wing a few years ago.
    Last edited by The Dude; 06-13-2021 at 08:32 PM.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Oh sorry, he's listed as a center everywhere. Thought he played center previously. Looking at his faceoff numbers early on they ate kinda meh, so I guess he was moved to wing a few years ago.
    why is Tampa moving him?

A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    why is Tampa moving him?
    They don’t have to. He’s a UFA.

They don't have to but they are over the cap and he's a UFA

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    have we built a team or just assembled talent?

interesting question in my mind.
    They were in the process of building a legit team. I donít think anyone thought it was a finished product including Gorton and company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

an immensely strong forecheck worked wonders for the islanders last nite. we are not built to play that game. believe thats where we need to be to compete at the next level. granted we've assembled a great deal of talent but not in that area. its going to take some heavy lifting for us to get there assuming if thats what the next management believes is missing.
    Acqua in bocca

It definitely is. I’m not saying this as a Rangers fan, but I’d rather be on this side of the ball than the other. Energy guys are a lot easier to find than guys with top level skill. The Rangers have that. They need to figure out who out of that group makes the cut moving forward and who will be used as trade bait to get what we need. Like others have said, not every trade will look like a “win” as far as what we get vs. what we give up. But we have our area of strength, and need to use our over abundance of that to strengthen our weaknesses.

an immensely strong forecheck worked wonders for the islanders last nite. we are not built to play that game. believe thats where we need to be to compete at the next level. granted we've assembled a great deal of talent but not in that area. its going to take some heavy lifting for us to get there assuming if thats what the next management believes is missing.
    Q? What does our ideal makeup look like now? Agree we have acquired sharpshooters and a load of talented players. Do we need more worker bees? That strong forecheck you mentioned requires a certain type of player.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieNextel305 View Post
    It definitely is. I’m not saying this as a Rangers fan, but I’d rather be on this side of the ball than the other. Energy guys are a lot easier to find than guys with top level skill. The Rangers have that. They need to figure out who out of that group makes the cut moving forward and who will be used as trade bait to get what we need. Like others have said, not every trade will look like a “win” as far as what we get vs. what we give up. But we have our area of strength, and need to use our over abundance of that to strengthen our weaknesses.
    I think you've got two key factors here:

1 - A relentless forecheck can take you very far, but comes at a rather significant cost - that is an EXHAUSTING game to play. Relentless forecheck teams that lack top end skill eventually see the legs give way and lose - heck, we were that team under Torts, we should know this. You need a balance - that's why Vegas, Colorado, and Tampa work so well, and bluntly, it's why Montreal has shocked some people.

2 - Too much skill is a much easier problem to "deal with" than too much grit.

I think this is an addressable problem, but I'd prefer to see it addressed up and down the lineup rather than in the bottom 6. Let's get Jones a big partner. Let's get Panarin-Strome a brick shithouse on RW. Let's get Filip Chytil someone who creates space for him.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Has anyone brought up Erik Haula???

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Has anyone brought up Erik Haula???
    2 years ago.
    I don’t think he necessarily fills the current void on the team.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    They don’t need another winger.

Trade for Alex Tuch. 25, signed for six more years at $4.75 million. Vegas has like $2.4 million in cap room and need to re-sign Alec Martinez. Also need centers. Send 'em Chytil.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast