Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Why Did the Rangers Do A Half-Measure in Firing AV, but Keep Gorton?

  1. #41
    (╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,447
    Rep Power
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    He actually got a lot of praise for doing the letter, but it certainly adds an extra layer of pressure to follow through. You know, if he didn't send the letter he could have decided to hold off until the summer or something, but when the letter went out, teams knew he had to get it done by the deadline. McDonagh had another year left. It didn't have to get done right away.
    Like I doubt gms lined up thinking they can fleece Gorton all of a sudden but at the time of the letter they were a game or two above .500. It’s not like they were the bottom dwellers. I applaud the team for seeing the writing on the wall. Just as I said, it didn’t make sense to announce it before like that. It doesn’t help leverage, even if privately they were already fielding calls from some teams.

  2. #42
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    83,893
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Actually, Iím pretty sure Iím just disagreeing with one dude on the internet but will do. Iíll just go with the track record of how infrequent it is for teams to do what Gorton did.
    I dunno if you're intentionally missing the point?

    What's infrequent? A letter to fans? OK.

    Did it put him at a disadvantage? No.

    You're making a non issue your hill to die on.

  3. #43
    (╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,447
    Rep Power
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I dunno if you're intentionally missing the point?

    What's infrequent? A letter to fans? OK.

    Did it put him at a disadvantage? No.

    You're making a non issue your hill to die on.
    Stop. No, I’m giving my opinion. So are you. I don’t get where you have this notion that your opinion is any more than an opinion. I also don’t know why you keep at it. You’ve given me yours. I’ve given you mine. You think it’s a non issue. I think it was a stupid thing to do at the time because we will never k ow if it put him at any disadvantage when negotiating a trade. Is there anything more to discuss or are we just trying to argue to argue?

  4. #44
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,623
    Rep Power
    60
    Absent the gifts, Panarin and Fox, the rebuild would be well behind where it is after three years, the Rangers would be in NJ-Buf territory and Gorton would be gone.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    2,487
    Rep Power
    118
    I don't understand the issue with the letter.
    Do we think that, in an alternative reality where the letter doesn't happen, Gorton gets on the horn to Yzerman and goes "Hey Steve, we're not rebuilding or anything like that but would you be interested in taking our team captain and 2nd line center for prospects and picks"?
    Every GM knows which team is open for business and which isn't. The letter didn't change any of that nor did it it force the issue with the McD trade. If they didn't like the return they could've waited until the summer. The problem is, they liked the return but completely missed their evaluations on Hajek and Howden.

    Gorton is pretty much an ok GM to me. He's done a lot of good things that are offset by some bonehead decisions and trades. The restocking of the cupboards has been handled efficiently on paper, and ultimately he will be judged on how this team looks in a couple of years time.

  6. #46
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    83,893
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Stop. No, Iím giving my opinion. So are you. I donít get where you have this notion that your opinion is any more than an opinion. I also donít know why you keep at it. Youíve given me yours. Iíve given you mine. You think itís a non issue. I think it was a stupid thing to do at the time because we will never k ow if it put him at any disadvantage when negotiating a trade. Is there anything more to discuss or are we just trying to argue to argue?
    You're the only one arguing, homie. You're saying that it's your opinion that a letter to fans put him at a disadvantage. That's just wrong. The GMS all talk to each other and they know who are buyers and who are sellers. They might not know who specifically is available, but they know who's making moves to add or remove.

    Anybody can say they have an opinion on anything but if there's no evidence supporting it and it's not rooted in fact, it's not a very strong opinion.
    Last edited by Pete; 04-24-2021 at 08:31 AM.

  7. #47
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    83,893
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I don't understand the issue with the letter.
    Do we think that, in an alternative reality where the letter doesn't happen, Gorton gets on the horn to Yzerman and goes "Hey Steve, we're not rebuilding or anything like that but would you be interested in taking our team captain and 2nd line center for prospects and picks"?
    Every GM knows which team is open for business and which isn't. The letter didn't change any of that nor did it it force the issue with the McD trade. If they didn't like the return they could've waited until the summer. The problem is, they liked the return but completely missed their evaluations on Hajek and Howden.

    Gorton is pretty much an ok GM to me. He's done a lot of good things that are offset by some bonehead decisions and trades. The restocking of the cupboards has been handled efficiently on paper, and ultimately he will be judged on how this team looks in a couple of years time.
    Bingo.

    He's not what I'd call a saavy GM. Has he ever landed a player that nobody thought we could get? Has he ever moved the player that we didn't think would be moved? He just makes the play that's right in front of him. It's all very obvious shit.

    As far as the "arguing to argue" crap, if somebody says it's their opinion that humans breathe underwater, I'm going to argue that opinion. It's not arguing just to argue when the other person won't admit they're wrong. They're the one arguing just to argue.
    Last edited by Pete; 04-24-2021 at 08:33 AM.

  8. #48
    (╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,447
    Rep Power
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're the only one arguing, homie. You're saying that it's your opinion that a letter to fans put him at a disadvantage. That's just wrong. The GMS all talk to each other and they know who are buyers and who are sellers. They might not know who specifically is available, but they know who's making moves to add or remove.

    Anybody can say they have an opinion on anything but if there's no evidence supporting it and it's not rooted in fact, it's not a very strong opinion.
    Oncwe again, thank you for your opinion on the matter home slice. And I'm really sorry you somehow equate an opinion on good negotiation tactics with biological functions? I'd say we are done here.

  9. #49
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    83,893
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Oncwe again, thank you for your opinion on the matter home slice. And I'm really sorry you somehow equate an opinion on good negotiation tactics with biological functions? I'd say we are done here.
    Yea, I think we established the letter didn't have any impact on negotiations, because it's based on a wild assumption that the team told fans before telling other teams, which would make both Sather and Gorton the most inept pair in the history of sports management, so yes... Seems like we are done here.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Holbrook, NY
    Posts
    596
    Rep Power
    33
    They did trade Marc Staal out of nowhere.

  11. #51
    (╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,447
    Rep Power
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yea, I think we established the letter didn't have any impact on negotiations, because it's based on a wild assumption that the team told fans before telling other teams, which would make both Sather and Gorton the most inept pair in the history of sports management, so yes... Seems like we are done here.
    Lol my god you’re a special person sometimes. Again, thank you so much for the repetition of your opinion. I really really appreciate it. Bye bye now.

  12. #52
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    83,893
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    They did trade Marc Staal out of nowhere.
    We figured buyout, we knew he was moving, but yes... That trade was a great move.

  13. #53
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    83,893
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Lol my god youíre a special person sometimes. Again, thank you so much for the repetition of your opinion. I really really appreciate it. Bye bye now.
    Some opinions are better than others.

  14. #54
    (╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,447
    Rep Power
    382
    Confucius say man who drop watch in toilet have shitty time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •