Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jersey Ads Could Become Reality As Early As 2022-23 Season

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Aren't you a business guy? How do you propose the league make money?
    The money they are making from the advertisements on jerseys and the idiotic sponsorship of the divisions is a drop in the Grand Canyon of Revenue lost due to covid.

This is not saving the league, it's a cheap trick to get something they always wanted and fans never did, through the side door.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    How does "focusing on the game" make you money? I'm just so confused by that statement. I don't know what it even means.
    Get officiating consistent enough that folks want to bet on it would be a big win. Change rules that stunt and stifle offense. Market your stars and let them actually say things that aren't generic gobbledygook.

Stuff like that.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    It's HRR as on-equipment advertisement requires the game. So it's equal impact.

Even if it wasn't, so what?

Helmet ads and virtual ad slots brought in 100 million in the shortened season, and that doesn't begin to offset what was probably somewhere like 2 billion + in OI loss. If jersey ads can throw another high 8 figure number in there, why the hell not? If they can make a significant chunk of change through advertisement on jerseys, pants, and helmets, and they keep it as subtle as the helmets have been given their losses?

Sure. Why not?
    They cleverly bucketed helmet adds with virtual on Ice ads. How much does a team get for a helmet ad? I believe it's nothing close to an on Ice virtual ad.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Get officiating consistent enough that folks want to bet on it would be a big win. Change rules that stunt and stifle offense. Market your stars and let them actually say things that aren't generic gobbledygook.

Stuff like that.
    And how does any of this this directly make the NHL more money exactly?

Even if the NHL was muzzling it's players and the players weren't just generic white guys with no personalities, how would their personality bring in more revenue for the NHL? How would more offense bring in revenue? Bigger tv deal? What pays for that tv deal?

say it with me:

ADVERTISING.

The 3 other major leagues in the country are bigger simply because advertising pays them more. The NFL doesn't need ads on the helmets because a single, 30 second ad for the superbowl cost millions of dollars, which goes to the network who then pays the NFL a massive TV deal. NHL doesn't have that luxury. They don't have the fanbase that the NFL has. Disney is paying the NFL 2.7 BILLION dollars. And they do one game a week lol.
    Last edited by ThirtyONE; 06-10-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran

Stuff like that.
    And I agree.

But, top execs don’t get annual million dollar bonuses in this scenario, lol.

Even if the NHL was muzzling it's players and the players weren't just generic white guys with no personalities, how would their personality bring in more revenue for the NHL? How would more offense bring in revenue? Bigger tv deal? What pays for that tv deal?

say it with me:

ADVERTISING.

The 3 other major leagues in the country are bigger simply because advertising pays them more. The NFL doesn't need ads on the helmets because a single, 30 second ad for the superbowl cost millions of dollars, which goes to the network who then pays the NFL a massive TV deal. NHL doesn't have that luxury. They don't have the fanbase that the NFL has. Disney is paying the NFL 2.7 BILLION dollars. And they do one game a week lol.
    All of that makes the game more marketable. Betting matters - ask the NFL and NBA. Big play capabilities matter - it's the sole reason the NFL basically started calling pass interference on a dime. This shit is exciting - and it makes the game more marketable.

They're also bigger because they have massive stadiums (baseball, football), amazing personalities that they actually market (basketball, football), extremely consistent betting (all of them), and international appeal to countries that have more than like 10 million people.

say it with me:

ADVERTISING.

You advertise the players, not Scotiabank, You’re richer than you think

You want to grow the sport, you try to get new fans, not more advertisers

I mean, duh

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They cleverly bucketed helmet adds with virtual on Ice ads. How much does a team get for a helmet ad? I believe it's nothing close to an on Ice virtual ad.
    If the math is right, it's about 4/5ths on-ice and 1/5 helmet for that particular revenue split. Jerseys would be, I'd guess, much closer to the cost of an on-ice ad, because they'd get a walking billboard with every jersey sale.

The cheapest NBA jersey ad sale was 5 million for 2020-21; Rakuten paid Golden State 20 million for the spot on their jerseys. Surely, the NHL can see revenues across 32 franchises of something in the 100 million range+ here.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    You want to grow the sport, you try to get new fans, not more advertisers

I mean, duh
    Advertisers pay more.

Advertisers pay more.
    If that’s true, why were they down so much revenue when the fans couldn’t attend games and they had helmet ads?

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    If that’s true, why were they down so much revenue when the fans couldn’t attend games and they had helmet ads?
    NHL is the only major league that makes a majority of it's money through ticket sales and not advertising. You might think that's great, but there's a reason the NBA makes 4 billion more annually than the NHL when they literally play in the same arenas. And when you make that kind of money you can advance your game in way the NHL can't even dream of.

I agree the NHL should market itself better but if you want to compete with the other leagues you need to make money.

And saying the helmet ads are only a drop in the bucket in terms of making up lost money, that's true, but does that mean the NHL should just give up trying to make money all together? Everything's a drop in the bucket. They lost a fuck ton of money. We're lucky all the teams survived.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Yeah, agreed. Whatever it takes to save some teams is worth it. I was fearful of a handful of teams having to suspend operations or fold or move or whatever. Thankfully that didn't happen. While I think hockey is getting bigger, it just doesn't have the finances like MLB or NFL to get through something like this without being a little creative. I'm not going to really like advertisements on jerseys on helmets, but it's better than the alternative.

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    Because advertisers pulled out. The entire marketing industry was one giant make good for the entire year plus of Covid.

There are literally no fans in the arena. Why the hell would any advertiser give you full freight, or anything even close to it, to market their products to no one?
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

fuck, of course I use a gif with a GD corporate logo on it

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    fuck, of course I use a gif with a GD corporate logo on it
    Ruins the bag and the whole scene

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    The thing I hate about the virtual on ice ads is the arenas no longer have the "Stanley Cup Playoffs" banner in the ice just inside the blue lines because that's where they're placing the ads instead. Fucking dumb. You're selling out your own brand for digital ads. What would have been so bad about putting the ads in the same spot on the other side of the blue line in the neutral zone? Or, if its that big of a deal regarding ice "location" then put the damn playoff banner in the neutral zone instead. Don't get rid of it completely.

I know what I am complaining about is mostly insignificant but I always thought it was a nice touch. Especially the "Stanley Cup Final" banner. They better not leave that out.

The rinks already look like Czech 2nd league jerseys

Soon, they’ll have virtual ads on player visors and the same people will be like “why don’t they market players??”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123