Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Push — Magic Number Thread

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    I’m starting to wonder if the Islanders might be the team we would end up catching up possibly.

After tonight’s loss, we have a game in hand with them, are down by 10 points, and play them three more times.
    Remaining games

Islanders

@ PHI
    vs NYR
    vs WSH
    vs WSH
    @ WSH
    @ NYR
    vs NYR
    @ BUF
    @ BUF
    vs NJD
    vs NJD
    @ BOS

Rangers

vs NJD
    @ NJD
    @ NYI
    vs PHI
    vs PHI
    vs BUF
    vs BUF
    vs NYI
    @ NYI
    vs WSH
    vs WSH
    @ BOS
    @ BOS

I like our schedule a hell of a lot better and those three games against them directly are huge. Unlikely but not out of the realm.
    Last edited by Keirik; 04-16-2021 at 10:22 PM.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Boston wins 3-0 vs. Isles....Isles are a bunch of dirtbags who I hope choke, always will be my most hated team in all sports.

Updated:
    Boston 42 GP 54 Points 82 Pts Max
    -----------------------------------------------
    NYR 43 GP 48 Points 74 Pts Max

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I’m starting to wonder if the Islanders might be the team we would end up catching up possibly.

After tonight’s loss, we have a game in hand with them, are down by 10 points, and play them three more times.
    Remaining games

I like our schedule a hell of a lot better and those three games against them directly are huge. Unlikely but not out of the realm.
    Interesting. I think you're right. And Boston has a cupcake schedule too. I didn't realize the Islanders were this "close".

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post

Remaining games

??? NYR have 2 games vs. NJD left, not 3....Also you have to add another game vs. Boston (last 2 games of the year are vs. Boston).
    So the remaining schedule is essentially the NYR play Boston and PHI 1 more time than the Isles do, and the Isles play Washington 1 more time than the Rangers do...NYR/NYI play the NJD/BUF the same amount of games (4). So essentially the schedule is a wash, Rangers don't have that much of a better schedule than the Isles do.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    ??? NYR have 2 games vs. NJD left, not 3....Also you have to add another game vs. Boston (last 2 games of the year are vs. Boston).
    So the remaining schedule is essentially the NYR play Boston and PHI 1 more time than the Isles do, and the Isles play Washington 1 more time than the Rangers do...NYR/NYI play the NJD/BUF the same amount of games (4). So essentially the schedule is a wash, Rangers don't have that much of a better schedule than the Isles do.
    I’ll correct. I apologize. The point was we play the isles 3 more times. The rest I disagree with. I prefer our schedule.
    Last edited by Keirik; 04-16-2021 at 10:25 PM.

Moderator Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    The Rangers would be sitting in a playoff position in 2 other divisions, and 1 point out with 2 games in hand of the other.

Slow start is on them, but it is true that they got absolutely butt fucked with division alignment.
    I've thought that way all along. But the more I look at it, it may be a wash. Boston basically replaced Carolina, which has been playing its ass off and would likely be ahead of the Rangers anyway. Then Buffalo replaced Columbus who would be below. The Flyers have underperformed while Pittsburgh and the Isles have both exceeded expectations. That leaves NYR in about the same spot that they would have been in the Metro. They may actually be better off in that Boston has wobbled in the 4th spot and left more of an opening.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    I've thought that way all along. But the more I look at it, it may be a wash. Boston basically replaced Carolina, which has been playing its ass off and would likely be ahead of the Rangers anyway. Then Buffalo replaced Columbus who would be below. The Flyers have underperformed while Pittsburgh and the Isles have both exceeded expectations. That leaves NYR in about the same spot that they would have been in the Metro. They may actually be better off in that Boston has wobbled in the 4th spot and left more of an opening.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    That's true. Maybe it's more fitting to say the east coast just has more good teams, rather than any specific division alignment decision. Geography butt fucked the Rangers.

To be honest, I always thought the Flyers overachieved last year. I didn’t really look at that roster thinking it was really anything special. Then again, I also think the Penguins this year are also overachieving but to a lesser degree because of well, Crosby just being himself so they are never far out with him.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    How's this for an indictment of the NHL's ridiculous system:

Rangers 18-16-9 in regulation
    Flyers 13-17-13 in regulation
    Rangers 58 better than Flyers in goal differential. That's right, 58!

Rangers two points ahead of the Flyers, both with 43 games played.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    There's also a pretty goddamn reasonable argument that they've just been stupidly unlucky.

Theyíve only won 4 one-goal games...

I donít care how bad they blow out the flyers and pens. If you win that few games youíre done. Thatís the difference on the season and itís not bad luck. Itís inexperience.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    playing our best all around hockey of the year and we've lost ground, up the kids ice times. them finishing strong is our "win"

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    I see all three teams immediately ahead of the Rangers as very vulnerable to a collapse. Two of them are way past their best before date. The other is relevant only due to some coaching black magic.

It's highly unlikely, but now there's three targets. Just keep winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    playing our best all around hockey of the year and we've lost ground, up the kids ice times. them finishing strong is our "win"
    For all I've argued how they shouldn't be judged on whether or not they actually make the playoffs - which I stand by - the drive to pass Boston has focused the Rangers on what it takes to win in a way that is extremely valuable for the kids. So, no matter what their chances actually are, they need to keep their attention on the need to bank those points. Fortunately, the kids have been getting more TOI in the process. Having this rubber-meets-the-road period in what could have just been a cockeyed COVID shitshow of a season has potentially made the year a stunning success for team development. Doesn't mean that they play like grizzled vets yet, but at least they're quickly losing the peach fuzz.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    For all I've argued how they shouldn't be judged on whether or not they actually make the playoffs - which I stand by - the drive to pass Boston has focused the Rangers on what it takes to win in a way that is extremely valuable for the kids. So, no matter what their chances actually are, they need to keep their attention on the need to bank those points. Fortunately, the kids have been getting more TOI in the process. Having this rubber-meets-the-road period in what could have just been a cockeyed COVID shitshow of a season has potentially made the year a stunning success for team development. Doesn't mean that they play like grizzled vets yet, but at least they're quickly losing the peach fuzz.

This is why it’s more upsetting the kids weren’t getting more ice time and PP time throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I don't know who still needs to hear this but we're not making the playoffs.
    You sir, are no fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    This is why itís more upsetting the kids werenít getting more ice time and PP time throughout the season.
    IDK. Quinn had the dilemma from the get-go. He couldn't just say I'll play the kids and lose until I win. The fans, blogs, Brooks, etc., would have demanded his head on a pike orders of magnitude more intensely than they did. The kids certainly didn't look ready to win on their own and the team would not have gotten to this place in the standings without getting Zib out of post-COVID funk, giving Bread and Strome their minutes, and playing Fox-Lindgren (apparently already veterans at about 100 games) about 80 minutes a game.

All those things gave LaF, Kakko, and Miller some space to build some confidence and Chytil to get healthy again. I just think that the fact that they can play these games for something real now - the only better experience-builder being to play in actual playoff series, which is still remotely possible - may be more important than how they got here.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Ice time for the kids was never an issue.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    IDK. Quinn had the dilemma from the get-go. He couldn't just say I'll play the kids and lose until I win. The fans, blogs, Brooks, etc., would have demanded his head on a pike orders of magnitude more intensely than they did. The kids certainly didn't look ready to win on their own and the team would not have gotten to this place in the standings without getting Zib out of post-COVID funk, giving Bread and Strome their minutes, and playing Fox-Lindgren (apparently already veterans at about 100 games) about 80 minutes a game.

All those things gave LaF, Kakko, and Miller some space to build some confidence and Chytil to get healthy again. I just think that the fact that they can play these games for something real now - the only better experience-builder being to play in actual playoff series, which is still remotely possible - may be more important than how they got here.

Sorry, young forwards*

Zibanejad was out half the season. Kreider missed half the season, Panarin missed significant time... and the kids still get no PP. and the PP is still one of the worst in the league. Plenty of chances to get young skilled forwards in a place to build confidence and playing time.

Updated:
    Boston 42 GP 54 Points 82 Pts Max
    NYR 44 GP 50 Points 74 Pts Max

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Boston 41 GP 52 Points 78 Pts Max
    NYR 43 GP 48 Points 74 Pts Max
    Add the Isles to this, Rangers might have a better chance of catching them.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast