Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Fox: Norris Candidate?

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Matt Gilroy and Michael Del Zotto both in preseason back during their rookie year. They completely sucked afterward but I remember being in awe of the coast-to-coast rushes that I believe they scored in the same game.
    I think I was more hyped for Del Zotto than Gilroy even though he looked good too. At the very least I though they'd be quite good. It's too bad. But, I think the Rangers are finally set on defense with everyone they have, and Lundqvist coming, so I'm excited about it.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Yeah. McDonagh was amazing for us - do not get me wrong here - but Fox feels like a different beast. McDonagh was always billed as a big, two-way D with a good shot and isn't afraid to get physical. And that's what he was - and he was great at it.

Fox isn't special in any "traditional" way. He's not fast. His shot isn't breaking glass or making defenders think twice. He's not at all physically intimidating. His stickwork isn't exceptional. I've literally never seen a player who thinks the game as quickly and as well as Fox does, though. He's playing grandmaster chess and everyone else is like "what's a horsie"? And it's special to watch.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Matt Gilroy and Michael Del Zotto both in preseason back during their rookie year. They completely sucked afterward but I remember being in awe of the coast-to-coast rushes that I believe they scored in the same game.
    Ahh yes didnt Gilroy have that fantastic end to end rush which helped him make the team and then he did absolutely nothing else as a ranger

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Ahh yes didnt Gilroy have that fantastic end to end rush which helped him make the team and then he did absolutely nothing else as a ranger
    Mr. Preseason.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    In the 15 years that I've been watching the Rangers, he's easily the best defenseman I've seen. Ryan McDonagh was an excellent defender and absolute workhorse, I always felt confident when he was on the ice because I knew he'd make the right play. Fox is a different beast, though. He has none of McDonagh's physical gifts yet it doesn't impede him at all. Where McDonagh could be trusted to make the right play, I feel like Fox is thinking three plays ahead. I don't know if there are 10 smarter players in the NHL than him, it's that obvious to me that Fox thinks the game at a high level. He's playing chess while most are out there playing Hungry Hungry Hippos. Fox blends safety and creativity to make the right plays consistently. I rarely feel that he's forcing a skilled play the way someone of his skillset might. Instead, he looks for the option that really is the best even if it means making a simple play to then lead to something bigger. Defensive pressure never seems to phase him and he's incredibly good at using his partner for support. I even feel pretty confident on 2-on-1s against because he's that good at anticipating the play and breaking it up. Fox is a gift. I can't imagine watching Rangers hockey over the last two seasons without him. It'd probably be much worse. His impact on the team is immeasurable. He's going to win the Norris trophy at some point. I have no doubt in my mind about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Yeah. McDonagh was amazing for us - do not get me wrong here - but Fox feels like a different beast. McDonagh was always billed as a big, two-way D with a good shot and isn't afraid to get physical. And that's what he was - and he was great at it.

Fox isn't special in any "traditional" way. He's not fast. His shot isn't breaking glass or making defenders think twice. He's not at all physically intimidating. His stickwork isn't exceptional. I've literally never seen a player who thinks the game as quickly and as well as Fox does, though. He's playing grandmaster chess and everyone else is like "what's a horsie"? And it's special to watch.
    The word that comes to mind when I watch Fox is POISE.... He never seems to panic with the puck and makes very good decisions when trying to either clear the puck or make a smart play. I watch his every move out there and he's doing a fabulous job growing into that QB role.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Fox grow with this team.

Junior Member Mite Division NJExpat's Avatar
    Was thinking the same thing as I've watched the last several games Sharp. His feel for the game and knowing when to take a risk is frighteningly similar. The first time since Leetch in his prime i find myself tracking a defenseman constantly in a game.
    Giv'em the business in the corner

Quote Originally Posted by NJExpat View Post
    Was thinking the same thing as I've watched the last several games Sharp. His feel for the game and knowing when to take a risk is frighteningly similar. The first time since Leetch in his prime i find myself tracking a defenseman constantly in a game.
    First off, welcome aboard my friend!!!

I'm ancient enough to say I saw Leetch as a rookie and watched him very closely as he developed. Leetch was a phenomenal skater and could "think the game" as well as the Coffey's, Bourque's, Housley's and Chelios' of that era. I think when the Rangers acquired Messier, Leetch absolutely took off! That's when he hit elite status in my eyes.

The broken ankle hindered him for a while but I think it hampered him more as he got older.

Fox has a similar start to his career, and he looks very promising. Actually I feel as though Fox has caught on faster than Leetch did, way back when. There's no doubt we've caught lightning in a bottle with Fox. He's a pleasure to watch game in and game out!!

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    The word that comes to mind when I watch Fox is POISE.... He never seems to panic with the puck and makes very good decisions when trying to either clear the puck or make a smart play. I watch his every move out there and he's doing a fabulous job growing into that QB role.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Fox grow with this team.
    Not going to take credit for this, since I think it was AmericanJesus who kicked this over to me, but this Substack article from a Leafs Analyst is just a phenomenal read on understanding both how Adam Fox slipped through the cracks and why he's so frigging good.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Not going to take credit for this, since I think it was AmericanJesus who kicked this over to me, but this Substack article from a Leafs Analyst is just a phenomenal read on understanding both how Adam Fox slipped through the cracks and why he's so frigging good.
    He used the word "Poise" in there as well, G Man! See???? I'm as think as you drunk I am!!!

That's actually the "feel" I get from watching him as well.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Iíll be eating the French onion soup at averys when you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Freedom soup!!

Junior Member Mite Division NJExpat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    First off, welcome aboard my friend!!!

I'm ancient enough to say I saw Leetch as a rookie and watched him very closely as he developed. Leetch was a phenomenal skater and could "think the game" as well as the Coffey's, Bourque's, Housley's and Chelios' of that era. I think when the Rangers acquired Messier, Leetch absolutely took off! That's when he hit elite status in my eyes.

The broken ankle hindered him for a while but I think it hampered him more as he got older.

Fox has a similar start to his career, and he looks very promising. Actually I feel as though Fox has caught on faster than Leetch did, way back when. There's no doubt we've caught lightning in a bottle with Fox. He's a pleasure to watch game in and game out!!
    Thank you sir. I am also ancient and saw my first game in the blueseats w/ My dad in 1976 as a spry 9 year old. It was the Flyers and the inevitable beatdown ensued when 4 Flyers fans started shooting their mouths off. Good times!! I think your comments on this are spot on with the speed of development! Really hope the ultimate outcome is as good. It'll be fun watching it develop.
    Giv'em the business in the corner

Banned Junior Division
    The only knock i have is he has no shot. I think its partly the reason the PP sucks. He never shoots and always looking to pass, which makes him predictable on the PP.

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    The only knock i have is he has no shot. I think its partly the reason the PP sucks. He never shoots and always looking to pass, which makes him predictable on the PP.
    Two knocks: Shot and no physicality. Great player but when saying there isn't a defenseman I would trade straight up for him, I think that's being a little delusional.

A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    He doesn't have much of a slapshot. His wrist shot is pretty fantastic for a defenseman and he's very capable of shooting for tips.

Senior Member Junior Division
    If you mean a power shot or a great one timer, I agree. He's never going to blast it by a goalie. But his ability to create a shooting lane, shot selection and placement, getting pucks through traffic, etc...that's upper echelon. I'm not sure there is a defenseman better in the league than him in those categories.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Fox's hockey IQ is just off the charts. It really is unreal just watching him play. Things he does nearly every shift.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    Two knocks: Shot and no physicality. Great player but when saying there isn't a defenseman I would trade straight up for him, I think that's being a little delusional.
    I'd love to ask who you would trade for him straight up right now, taking into consideration, age, contract etc.? List can't be that long, I'd imagine.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Plus, you've seen someone like Brad Park play who was obviously great, just kind of overshadowed a bit because he played during the same time period that Bobby Orr did.
    D men made more end to end rushes then, and so did Park. He combined that with being a bruiser. His game was complete. Tremendous powerplay QB, everything.

And yes, people are forgetting how great McD was for about three years. Just about every game he would do something and I would think there are not three other D men in the game who could do that.

Fox is unique. He should be great for a long time. He's so level headed and will be there when the chips are down. Last night he actually was guilty of a give-away, and it was if a charge was put into him nd he went and took the puck back. I've seen Panarin have the same reaction and do that. Rare company.

No, the PP sucks when Zib shanks one-timers. Remember when everyone was trying to blame the struggling PP on them putting Fox as the QB over ADA? Last year ADA had 19 PP points in 68 games. Fox is sitting at 15 pp points through 31 games. Fox works as the QB just fine because he can put the puck on the tape of any of the 4 other guys at any time. Its up to the other guys to get their shots off and Zib is starting to find his.

Fox is also a lot smarter than "that other guy"!

Fox' Hockey IQ is light years beyond "the other guy"

I refuse to even mention his name, because the every thread turns into a shit show when his name gets mentioned

...see Lefty??? I can avoid it when necessary!! LOL

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast