Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: M.I.A. Zibanejad?

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I'm not looking for "toughness". I'm looking for guys that can skate, retrieve pucks, aren't afraid to play in the middle, and can play anywhere in the top 9.

Like I said, it's not easy. However, I feel Chytil's outlook is over blown. He lacks that last ounce of class that can tie together all the individual talents he possess. I'd rather keep Strome, and look for a different dynamic in the 3C.

The real tough choices are on the wings. It would be incredibly hard to part with any of Kakko, Buchnevich or Kravtsov, but it's like having three useful second basemen and no pitching. We have to turn what we have in spades in to something different.

What a great analogy. All of these guys individually are good to very good players with great careers ahead of them. I'm always on board for drafting best available. Problem is that method can leave you with needs. You address those needs by trading from strength.

I'm not in on keeping both Zib and Strome though. Again both have tremendous skill but way to content in taking the path of least resistance. I'd rather keep Zib because he's obviously a better player but cap and trade interest might mean Zib is the guy who gets us what we need.

Is Barkov or Eichel available? PLD? If not can we sign a Krejci and trade Zib for a Tkachuck? I mean the front office will need to be creative but the roster needs a major overhaul.

I also understand that maybe it's too early to make these moves. I'm fine with that to but then the bottom 6 needs a big time beefing up just so the culture isn't allowing a young team to get pushed around with nobody pushing back. It matters. It's still a very physical game and being physical is as important as anything in terms of winning. I don't wan the kids learning the AV mantra of turning the other cheek.

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Well that’s part of the problem too. The likely path would be to hope Buch signs for a good value deal then use him to obtain a different type of player. Kakko, Kravtsov, and even laf who I think he made himself more untouchable in recent weeks are also so cost controlled for now. I don’t see how you move on from them. I still don’t think Strome wows anyone else around the NHL. If you are moving on from Chytil then you are looking mostly at a package of Buch and Chytil for something meatier I guess. Outside of possibly a team looking to blow it up (Calgary), I don’t see how you get meatier from many other teams. And we know the only way to get meatier from Calgary would be Tkachuk which not only costs more but already has a 7m cap hit going into his last year. Not very realistic.

Maybe Ottawa’s Tkachuk? But it would take probably a top tier d prospect and a pick also and I don’t see them interested in Buch. Plus he’s an rfa. And positionally im not sure it fits either. Honestly, my target would be Tom Wilson even if it takes extra to wow them. They have a lot of long term contracts and only 9m in cap space. A few tough decisions are going to be made and a rw big tough guy is a lot more valuable to us than a Chytil, another pick, and a Lundkvist.

This guys being so cost controlled is why they carry such oversized value. Yes their potential and skill but any team in cap hell would do well to trade an established player, even Tkachuck for a reset in cap with a potential young star. The trade off is the Rangers would get one of toughest players in the league. An addition of Tkachuck would mean an additional move of Zib or Strome probably, maybe even for prospects or picks.(cap reasons) I guess the question is would you trade Kakko and one of our defense prospects for Tkachuck. Then trade zib or Strome for a package of draft picks and prospects and sign a Krecji or another UFA center?

It seems steep but that would address the diversity in the top 6 deficiency. Maybe even expand the trade to include Lindholm or Monahan with some money going the other way.

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    This guys being so cost controlled is why they carry such oversized value. Yes their potential and skill but any team in cap hell would do well to trade an established player, even Tkachuck for a reset in cap with a potential young star. The trade off is the Rangers would get one of toughest players in the league. An addition of Tkachuck would mean an additional move of Zib or Strome probably, maybe even for prospects or picks.(cap reasons) I guess the question is would you trade Kakko and one of our defense prospects for Tkachuck. Then trade zib or Strome for a package of draft picks and prospects and sign a Krecji or another UFA center?

It seems steep but that would address the diversity in the top 6 deficiency. Maybe even expand the trade to include Lindholm or Monahan with some money going the other way.
    Position wise it’s a problem just because I think both of the Tkachuk are LWers and that’s where we are at our biggest log jam with Panarin, Alf, and Kreider. It’s a pipe dream to move Kreider and the other two aren’t going anywhere. If we want to address toughness with anyone impactful (meaning more than just a role player bottom 6) it has to be in center or RW positions, which really makes it tougher.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213